Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

appstore_icon.jpg
Black Friday is about to officially kick off, and the App Store developers also use this as an opportunity to promote their apps by dropping their prices. Sister site AppShopper.com tracks all price changes on iOS Apps and Mac Apps in their respective App Stores. Here's a selection of some of the more notable sales for iOS and Mac App Stores, as well as other online and boxed software sales.

iOS Apps

- Readdle Docs for iPad ($4.99 -> $1.99)
- Documents To Go Premium ($16.99 -> $9.99)
- QuickOffice Pro ($14.99 -> $0.99)
- QuickOffice Pro HD ($19.99 -> $4.99)
- Star Walk ($2.99 -> $1.99)
- Star Walk for iPad ($2.99 -> $1.99)
- Momento (Diary/Journal) ($2.99 -> $0.99)
- Groove 2 - Music Player ($3.99 -> $0.99)
- 1Password for iPhone ($9.99 -> $6.99)
- 1Password for iPad ($9.99 -> $6.99)
- 1Password Pro ($14.99 -> $9.99)
- MagicalPad ($1.99 -> Free)

- NAVIGON iOS USA ($49.99->$24.99)
- NAVIGON iOS North America ($59.99 -> $29.99)
- NAVIGON iOS MyRegion ($29.99 -> $14.99)
- StreetPilot Onboard USA ($49.99 -> $24.99)
- StreetPilot Onboard North America ($59.99 -> $29.99)

- $100 iTunes Gift Card for $80 - from BestBuy

Mac Apps

- 1Password ($49.99 -> $34.99)
- Pixelmator ($29.99 -> $14.99)
- Prototypes ($39.99 -> $19.99)
- Socialite ($9.99 -> $4.99)
- Home Inventory ($14.99 -> $7.99)
- Instamac ($1.99 -> $0.99)

- Primate Labs (Geekbench) - 40% off

Mac Games

- Steam Online Store - Autumn Sale with ongoing discounts. Presently includes Portal 2 for $4.99.
- MacGameStore - Up to 80% Off on Mac games

iOS Games

Games are huge category on their own making up a large portion of the activity on the App Store. TouchArcade has rounded up the various sales from major developers and notable indie developers:

- Sales from Gameloft, Sega, Namco, and Indies
- Sales from EA, Chillingo, Firemonkeys, and PopCap

- iCADE, iCade 8-Bitty and JOYSTICK-IT - Hardware controllers on sale.

Boxed Software / Other

- Adobe Photoshop Elements 11 ($99.99 -> $44.99)
- TurboTax Deluxe Federal + E-File + State 2012 ($59.99 -> $49.69)
- Office for Mac Home & Student 2011 ($119.99 -> $79.99)
- Office for Mac Home & Student 2011 (Family Pack) ($149.99 -> $89.99)
- Parallels Desktop 8 ($79.95 -> $49.42)
- VMWare Fusion 5 ($49.99 -> $31.99)
- Jumsoft - 50% off all their templates and elements for Keynote, iWork, Pages, and more. Coupon Code: BF2012
- Adobe Lightroom 4 ($149 -> $99.99)

Mac Software Bundles

- MacUtility Bundle ($59.99) - Parallels Desktop 8, Snagit, VirusBarrier X6, MacOptimizer, Rubbertnet ($245 Value)
- MacLegion Bundle ($49.99)- TechTool Pro, Freeway Pro, djay, Capo, Fantastical, RipIt, iRip, Beamer, Copy Paste Pro, Code Collector Pro ($548.80 Value)

Some links may be affiliate links where available

Article Link: iOS App Store and Mac Software Sales for Black Friday 2012

jasonefmonk

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2011
I'd highly recommend 1Password Pro (the universal app) for iOS and it's OSX counterpart.

On the computer specifically, it makes your password life much more secure and simple.

Worksafe

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2010
1Password for iPad

I would stay away from the special since they are going to be releasing a newer version of it in the near future and it's not a update so you will be paying more for it if you do down load it.

----------

I'd highly recommend 1Password Pro (the universal app) for iOS and it's OSX counterpart.

On the computer specifically, it makes your password life much more secure and simple.

Just dropped comment about 1Password for iOS. They are on the verge of releasing a new version as I understand it, so do you really thinks it worth it downloading a old version with no way of upgrading it?

jasonefmonk

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2011
They are on the verge of releasing a new version as I understand it, so do you really thinks it worth it downloading a old version with no way of upgrading it?

1Password 4.0 has been in the works for quite a while. I don't know about now, but when I bought it through the Mac App Store they had a little paragraph promising the 4.0 upgrade free to new buyers. I think this was to appease people who bought the MAS version to replace their traditional purchase.

Either way the current product is excellent, and I will still recommend it as is.

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
I would stay away from the special since they are going to be releasing a newer version of it in the near future and it's not a update so you will be paying more for it if you do down load it.

----------

Just dropped comment about 1Password for iOS. They are on the verge of releasing a new version as I understand it, so do you really thinks it worth it downloading a old version with no way of upgrading it?
If you family pack of office for Mac from Microsoft website you will get the next version free. And it's only like $100 now. I thnk it ends on nov 26.

I'm tempted to buy it. But I'm a cheapo so I probably won't get it.

M87

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2009
If you don't have 1Password for iOS already, just wait for version 4 to come out.

AGKyle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2012

----------

If you want to wait for 1Password 4 you can wait. But the total price of the current iOS version on sale and the discounted 1Password 4 comes out to the same normal price of 1Password 4 without discounts.

It's still a great deal and we have no plans to discontinue support for 1Password 3. It may not receive more features, but it will get bug fixes and security updates and of course be supported by our crack team of support jedi.

If you have questions or concerns, please direct them to our support page listed in the signature. Answering them in this thread will likely prove to be near impossible.

----------

1Password 4.0 has been in the works for quite a while. I don't know about now, but when I bought it through the Mac App Store they had a little paragraph promising the 4.0 upgrade free to new buyers. I think this was to appease people who bought the MAS version to replace their traditional purchase.

Either way the current product is excellent, and I will still recommend it as is.

Don't get confused by iOS and Mac. They are separate products. 1Password 4 for iOS is due out soon. But the Mac version has not been announced.

The Mac App Store version (mac only) does get a free upgrade to 1Password 4 for Mac (not iOS).

The current iOS app is on sale, but the new version is a new app and will require another purchase. The combined sale price of the current version, plus introductory price of the 4.0 release will be the same as 4.0 when not on sale. Still a great value. Buy 3.0 if you need it now, if you can wait, by all means wait if that's what you want to do.

If you have concerns about 1Password 4 for Mac or iOS, please direct them to our support page in my signature. We'll be happy to help.

lecturenotes

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2012

Just bought 1password because of your recommendation and the recommendation from arn. Looks good so far. I can see this making my life easier

AGKyle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2012
Well, that is some BS.

Agreed. I've never seen an iOS app where an update is a new app that requires another purchase. What are they thinking?

Sorry you both feel that way. There are apps that have done it, including Tweetie 2, a very popular twitter client.

We think the changes in the new app will be worthwhile. We released 1Password 3 several years ago and have not charged for any updates. So purchasers of 1Password 1.0 for iPhone have not had any upgrade costs since it was originally released.

Stay tuned to our blog if you want to know more about the application. We realize that some of our users will be upset by the new app being an additional purchase, but we think you'll really enjoy it when you see more of it.

If you are really upset by it, send us a message on our support site (please be civil) and we can discuss it.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Too bad none of these are desirable except for Parallels, Portal 2, and VMWare Fusion :(

Last edited:

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Picture Collage Maker seems to have been on sale yesterday on actual Thanksgiving Day instead of BF.

QuickOffice Pro .......99 cents !

I highly recommend you ALL jump on that
I bought it because I didn't like SmartOffice2 that I got for free w/ an SB code and need one, let see if they update it since Google bought the company.

Last edited:

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Portal 2 for $4.99 is a steal!

I paid $49.99 for it! (Actually, I paid $89.99 I think, to get two copies. Something like that. I definitely paid a lot more than $4.99, and I thought it was worth it at whatever the high price was that I paid.)

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Except when you click on it the price comes up as $5.49, not 0.99.

Edit: 2.30pm Friday in my location but still Thursday in U.S. Maybe sale not even started yet.

nah it ended. I removed it.

arn

recharge23

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2012
Seoul, South Korea
Sorry you both feel that way. There are apps that have done it, including Tweetie 2, a very popular twitter client.

We think the changes in the new app will be worthwhile. We released 1Password 3 several years ago and have not charged for any updates. So purchasers of 1Password 1.0 for iPhone have not had any upgrade costs since it was originally released.

Stay tuned to our blog if you want to know more about the application. We realize that some of our users will be upset by the new app being an additional purchase, but we think you'll really enjoy it when you see more of it.

If you are really upset by it, send us a message on our support site (please be civil) and we can discuss it.

every time i read one of your respones, AGKyle, i think to myself, "wow that is customer service." i commend you folks at agilebits for staying in touch with your customers. i haven't purchased 1password yet, but i fully intend to soon.

Padaung

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2007
UK
Agreed. I've never seen an iOS app where an update is a new app that requires another purchase. What are they thinking?

I can't believe you expect free software updates for life after you've paid once for a product. Updates to an existing product take time, commitment and investment by the company. You pay for newer versions of software for your Mac don't you (including when you update your OS to the latest version)? So why shouldn't this be the same for iOS apps?

1Password is an excellent piece of software on the Mac. The iOS app does need some work, but it is useable and allows me to keep my information on my phone seamlessly synced with my Mac, so I'm happy. 1Password allows me to keep my passwords secure (I now never repeat using a particular password) and data safe, so to me it has become INVALUABLE - a price that makes even the full price of the software a bargain.

As we all know about waiting for recent updates to the iMac, waiting for the next version can take a long time. If the developer is saying a person who buys now is not going to loose out (cost wise), how can you grumble with that?

Some people want the world for fee, they will never be happy I guess :cool:

No, I'm in no way affiliated with 1Password by the way!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.