Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Especially in rural areas and if you are a soldier in afghanistan. Yeah, right. ;-)
Kingston Wi-Drive. :)

----------

I think the only new feature they added in 4.2 was support for multiple users. Although I won't be using it, I can certainly see that it's very useful for others.
Once they work out some kinks. For example, I've got all my apps loaded. I switch over to my daughter's account, and all she sees are the default apps. Lame.

Edit: there were other 4.2 changes (lock screen widgets... meh), but nothing too significant.

----------

I rather have long battery life on a cell phone than pushing more and more pixels.
I personally would rather have a long battery life than a thinner phone. Somehow, with extreme agony, I survived back when phones weighed - dead God! - 200g. I'd much rather the manufacturers - all of them - add 30g of battery and 1mm of thickness than that they shave off more and more. I realize the iPhone 5 has some awesome battery life, but it'd be even more amazing if they kept the old thickness and made it last for days.

I think this constant trend towards "thinner" is getting extreme. They're thin enough, all of them, until we get flexible plastic sheets. Until then, I can live with phones that are 1cm thick.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Eh... actually 1080p means something below 1 1/2 feet (length of your arm holding phone)

If you hold up a 5" 1080p phone at 440dpi in front of you, it looks better than the iPhone 5 retina display at ALL distances that you can put at arms length.

Why? Because you can see the individual dots. Only after it is beyond arms length that you can't tell the iPhone 5 and the 1080p screen at 5".

So the higher the DPI the better. 326dp (iPhone's DPI) you can't see the dots when it is just beyond arm's reach (close to 2 feet). But nobody holds their phone so far away. They hold it 6 inches to 12 inches in front of them. In that case, the bigger screen the more DPI the better.

So the best phone is one that is higher dpi (up to a 1000dpi for 6 inches away, up to 500dpi for 12 inches away). The 5" 1080p screen is at 440dpi, so it would look clearer and better at all distances you can put it at using your arms (compared to 326 dpi Retina of iPhone).

You need to read this:

http://tasel.wordpress.com/2012/02/07/youre-not-watching-1080p-tv/

identity

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2011
You couldn't pay me to walk around with one of those idiotic huge phones. The 4" screen is the max for me. I still cant believe people are dumb enough to buy huge phones. Why not just pick up a giant block phone from 1980?

I laugh at people who actually think the Note is cool. What a joke.

Lol!

You're probably one of those people who kicked and screamed about the iPhone being the perfect size at 3.5 inches and nothing will ever make you buy a larger phone....................until the iPhone 5 is released at 4 inches and NOW you won't go any higher because it's the perfect size AGAIN....

TheHateMachine

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2012
Lol!

You're probably one of those people who kicked and screamed about the iPhone being the perfect size at 3.5 inches and nothing will ever make you buy a larger phone....................until the iPhone 5 is released at 4 inches and NOW you won't go any higher because it's the perfect size AGAIN....

The always moving Apple goal post!

If Apple were to release a 500ppi all the folks here saying how you cannot see beyond 326ppi will now say how 500ppi is the perfect spec.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
The always moving Apple goal post!

If Apple were to release a 500ppi all the folks here saying how you cannot see beyond 326ppi will now say how 500ppi is the perfect spec.

Nobody's debating that a 500 PPI screen is going to be sharper than a 326 PPI screen. If the gains are THAT noticeable (yet to be seen), then I welcome everyone, including Apple, to follow suit. However, the costs of driving those displays currently seem to outweigh the perceived benefit.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Who uses their phone 6" from their face?

Since I began reading this thread, I've been playing around with viewing distances on different screens, and I gotta say, I can't focus my eyes 6" away from any of them.

I can't imagine that I'm unique.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Sony engineered and made the camera components in the iPhone 5, not Apple. Except for the CPU, the rest of the chips in the iPhone 5 is stock components from other vendors.

If we're going down that path, are we also claiming there has been no innovation by say, Honda in cars for 50 years because they're still using bearings, struts, pistons, cranks, etc that were developed hundreds of years ago?

Or that there's been no innovation in android because they're using a linux kernel and java virtual machine, which were both developed in the early-mid 90s?

Component innovation is one thing. Engineering a product out of the component parts available on the market is another example of innovation.

cwwilson

macrumors 68000
Jan 27, 2009
Oklahoma City, OK
You iPhone fanboys are so funny. You claim you don't "need 5 inches" or that "1080p is useless" but if this was Apple doing it you'd be wetting your pants at their "innovation". You guys are so jealous that Android continues to beat Apple to the punch with the latest in cell phone technology. Bigger screens, HD res, multi-core processors, gigabytes of RAM, LTE etc...and that's not even the software side of things. If it wasn't for android you will still be using your 3.5" 480x320 screen and living in denial believing you're happy with it.

You should want phones to continue to improve, thank god we have Android that pushes itself to the bleeding edge or we'd still be stuck in the stone ages of 2007.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
You iPhone fanboys are so funny. You claim you don't "need 5 inches" or that "1080p is useless" but if this was Apple doing it you'd be wetting your pants at their "innovation". You guys are so jealous that Android continues to beat Apple to the punch with the latest in cell phone technology. Bigger screens, HD res, multi-core processors, gigabytes of RAM, LTE etc...and that's not even the software side of things. If it wasn't for android you will still be using your 3.5" 480x320 screen and living in denial believing you're happy with it.

You should want phones to continue to improve, thank god we have Android that pushes itself to the bleeding edge or we'd still be stuck in the stone ages of 2007.

If your argument is bigger screen and higher resolution is always better, I suggest you sell your Nexus 7 and get the iPad 4.

I still love my 3.5" iPhone 4S.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
I personally would rather have a long battery life than a thinner phone. Somehow, with extreme agony, I survived back when phones weighed - dead God! - 200g. I'd much rather the manufacturers - all of them - add 30g of battery and 1mm of thickness than that they shave off more and more. I realize the iPhone 5 has some awesome battery life, but it'd be even more amazing if they kept the old thickness and made it last for days.

I think this constant trend towards "thinner" is getting extreme. They're thin enough, all of them, until we get flexible plastic sheets. Until then, I can live with phones that are 1cm thick.

200g is freaking too heavy for my personal taste.

I think the iPhone 4S is the heaviest I want my phone to be for an everyday/everywhere smartphone.

I go jogging with my iPhone 4S. I definitely would not want to go jogging with a 200g phone. I think my pants would be down the ground after jogging a few hundred feet with that 200g weight.

Jibbajabba

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011
I have never met a person outside of this forum who is demanding a larger iPhone.

Nope - my girlfriend hates just the look of the IP5 and couldn't give a monkeys back side about resolutions. The only resultion she cares about are new-years' :p

----------

stock-photo-3414598-can-of-worms.jpg

But you are right lol...

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
If it wasn't for android you will still be using your 3.5" 480x320 screen and living in denial believing you're happy with it.

I think you should be thanking Apple for Android and retina screens.

Most Android phones today don't even have the pixel density of the iPhone 4 from 2010.

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012

Most Android phones today don't even have the pixel density of the iPhone 4 from 2010.

Most high end Android phones have a higher resolution. The iPhone 4 had a much smaller screen so you can't just compare ppi like that.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

Retina is an Apple coined term. Only Apple devices can have the trademarked Retina name.

My OG Motorola Droid had a way higher PPI of the competing iPhone 3GS of the time. So I could say we (iPhone users) should be thanking Motorola/Android for one upping them? Nah.

And to be more accurate there were phones with higher PPI of the current iPhones before the first iPhone was released. High PPI isn't something Apple invented, I'd say the just made it more main stream and trademarked a name to it. In that sense maybe we should be thanking them but I think it's just the natural progression of things.

Apple will eventually release an even higher PPI (retina 2?) and the cycle will continue.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Don't you mean the NExus 10? ;)

I know I'm pretty excited about mine. I gifted my outdated iPad 3 to my gf and have be using my Xoom. Still works great but I want more POWER, a quality screen, stereo speakers on the front and the USB/hdmi ports on the sides.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
200g is freaking too heavy for my personal taste.

I think the iPhone 4S is the heaviest I want my phone to be for an everyday/everywhere smartphone.

I go jogging with my iPhone 4S. I definitely would not want to go jogging with a 200g phone. I think my pants would be down the ground after jogging a few hundred feet with that 200g weight.
Well, that would help on the days you were too tired to run. :)

I was kidding about the 200g, but my point was that adding some weight/thickness back (or not removing more) to actually have a battery that anyone could use for a few days would be a very useful design change for most phones.

cwwilson

macrumors 68000
Jan 27, 2009
Oklahoma City, OK
If your argument is bigger screen and higher resolution is always better, I suggest you sell your Nexus 7 and get the iPad 4.

I still love my 3.5" iPhone 4S.

Actually, I am going to trade my nexus for an iPad mini. While that may seem a bit backwards, the iPad offers much better tablet apps than android currently. While the regular iPad and new Nexus 10 look great, they are a little too much for me now that I'm used to size of the 7.

I will however keep my S3 for a while yet. I have too much fun with this phone to let it go.

VinegarTasters

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 20, 2007
1080p

1080p should be the minimum of all smartphone displays. In fact, at 440 ppi, viewing it at over 12 inches viewing distance (way over normal holding distance), you can still see the individual dots. So 5 inches at 440 ppi is great but it offers room for more improvement.

With normal 7-8 inches viewing distance, at 900 ppi, you can just barely see the dots. And guess what? 880ppi, is double 440ppi of the 5 inch. And with 4k just around the corner... You can have 4k in 5 inches using 880 ppi, and that would be perfect for a display in the future to match the 4k television sets and movies coming out.

But lets say technology is not catching up fast enough. Then we can use the current 440 ppi to make a 10 inch tablet display. It would fit into 10 inches diagonal, perfect for a tablet computer with 4k resolution.

Current monitors and TV's are selling full HD minimum resolution. Movies are being released at 1080p minimum. In 3 years time people will start moving to 4k resolution televisions. To meet technological progress, smartphones should be 1080p at 5 inches diagonal now! And a tablet should be 4k resolution at 10 inch diagonal in 3 years time. These are the resolutions that all companies that make displays should aim for.

With paper printers making 1400+ dpi common, stopping at 326 ppi of the retina display is slowing progress. dpi and ppi are the SAME thing. In fact, many monitors manufactures will substitute dpi instead of ppi. Pixel is dot. Dot is pixel. The iPhone is last years technology if it stays with 326ppi. The closer you move a display to your face, the more ppi/dpi is required. In fact the reason 1400dpi is common is that when people are examining things in detail, they will move it within 6 inches of their eyes. 1400+ is needed to so they won't see "dots". So I would say close to 1000ppi should be standard for all displays in 5 years time, and premium displays would aim for 1400+, matching whatever the printers are aiming for.

In fact, they shouldn't even be aiming for 1000ppi 2D displays. They should go full holographic 3D displays. If you have seen a holograph sticker, you can move left and right and it should rotate with your eyesight. Nintendo 3DS has this. You can even make it vertical 3D as well (so full 3D left right, up down). These displays require even more pixels. 2000ppi would allow you to get a good 3D holographic display with barely enough good size for viewing in front of you. But because technology is not moving fast enough, we probably need ANOTHER 8 years, unless someone thinks ahead and aims for it RIGHT NOW! Full 3D (up down left right) holograph color stickers were out over 20 years ago! Why are there STILL no displays able to produce full 3D without glasses? (that includes up and down 3D). The technology movers are TOO SLOW! They could land on the moon in 10 years time, but in 20 years time they STILL CAN'T replicate on display what they can on paper.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006

And once again, you Google Guys think that if you offer tablets with better specs than the iPad, then you win?!?

It's proof that you just don't get why Apple owns the tablet space.

You probably think Google made the right choice by choosing to not optimize apps for those high-res, larger tablet screens?!?

----------

1080p should be the minimum of all smartphone displays. In fact, at 440 ppi, viewing it at over 12 inches viewing distance (way over normal holding distance), you can still see the individual dots. So 5 inches at 440 ppi is great but it offers room for more improvement.

With normal 7-8 inches viewing distance, at 900 ppi, you can just barely see the dots. And guess what? 880ppi, is double 440ppi of the 5 inch. And with 4k just around the corner... You can have 4k in 5 inches using 880 ppi, and that would be perfect for a display in the future to match the 4k television sets and movies coming out.

But lets say technology is not catching up fast enough. Then we can use the current 440 ppi to make a 10 inch tablet display. It would fit into 10 inches diagonal, perfect for a tablet computer with 4k resolution.

Current monitors and TV's are selling full HD minimum resolution. Movies are being released at 1080p minimum. In 3 years time people will start moving to 4k resolution televisions. To meet technological progress, smartphones should be 1080p at 5 inches diagonal now! And a tablet should be 4k resolution at 10 inch diagonal in 3 years time. These are the resolutions that all companies that make displays should aim for.

With paper printers making 1400+ dpi common, stopping at 326 ppi of the retina display is slowing progress. dpi and ppi are the SAME thing. In fact, many monitors manufactures will substitute dpi instead of ppi. Pixel is dot. Dot is pixel. The iPhone is last years technology if it stays with 326ppi. The closer you move a display to your face, the more ppi/dpi is required. In fact the reason 1400dpi is common is that when people are examining things in detail, they will move it within 6 inches of their eyes. 1400+ is needed to so they won't see "dots". So I would say close to 1000ppi should be standard for all displays in 5 years time, and premium displays would aim for 1400+, matching whatever the printers are aiming for.

In fact, they shouldn't even be aiming for 1000ppi 2D displays. They should go full holographic 3D displays. If you have seen a holograph sticker, you can move left and right and it should rotate with your eyesight. Nintendo 3DS has this. You can even make it vertical 3D as well (so full 3D left right, up down). These displays require even more pixels. 2000ppi would allow you to get a good 3D holographic display with barely enough good size for viewing in front of you. But because technology is not moving fast enough, we probably need ANOTHER 8 years, unless someone thinks ahead and aims for it RIGHT NOW! Full 3D (up down left right) holograph color stickers were out over 20 years ago! Why are there STILL no displays able to produce full 3D without glasses? (that includes up and down 3D). The technology movers are TOO SLOW! They could land on the moon in 10 years time, but in 20 years time they STILL CAN'T replicate on display what they can on paper.

You are, of course, entitled to your opinion.

----------

I know I'm pretty excited about mine. I gifted my outdated iPad 3 to my gf and have be using my Xoom. Still works great but I want more POWER, a quality screen, stereo speakers on the front and the USB/hdmi ports on the sides.

You gonna get the 4th gen iPad? Haven't seen another tablet touch it!

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
I agree that manufacturers are going too far with making the phones super thin. I carry a second battery with me for my S2 Skyrocket in my wallet. With two batteries I can last the whole day with GPS running for maps, WIFI, bluetooth, stream music, videos and not worry. Ideally though I'd like not to have to carry a second battery. Its not really a hassle considering the battery is so thin but having to power off the phone and power up again is a little annoying.

Kingston Wi-Drive. :)

----------

Once they work out some kinks. For example, I've got all my apps loaded. I switch over to my daughter's account, and all she sees are the default apps. Lame.

Edit: there were other 4.2 changes (lock screen widgets... meh), but nothing too significant.

----------

wepiii

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2012
This whole thread is so pointless. Apple doesn't make a 5 inch phone that has a 1080p screen. If that is as important to you as it must be considering you have made several different threads about this same topic, then please just buy that phone. Nobody here is going to care and if that phone makes YOU happy then that's all that should matter. I don't like the android operating system, and if I had to choose I would pick the iPhone 2g over any android phone. I completely understand that sounds ridiculous and irrational to you, but for me it would serve my needs better because of what is important to me in a phone. If 1080p and 5 inches is important to you in a phone then just buy that phone.... I feel like you must just really like ios or something so it's frustrating to you that you don't like the hardware as much or something. I get that, but Apple is a publicly traded company. They build phones for the masses... Maybe one day you will be able to design your own phone online or something (that would be innovation) but until then you just have to realize Apple is making the product they see best fit for their marketshare and based on every piece of evidence the 4 inch screen size is what will stay for awhile. So again, please just buy the HTC phone you were talking about and be happy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.