Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Faize

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2011
I don't anticipate dropping my phone enough to break it (I dropped my iPhone 3G twice and I've never dropped my iPhone 4), but I'm very worried about wear and tear - issues I've encountered in the past include gradually shrinking battery life, headphone jacks that developed problems recognizing when a headset was plugged in, and a loose ringer/vibration toggle.

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
I don't anticipate dropping my phone enough to break it (I dropped my iPhone 3G twice and I've never dropped my iPhone 4), but I'm very worried about wear and tear - issues I've encountered in the past include gradually shrinking battery life, headphone jacks that developed problems recognizing when a headset was plugged in, and a loose ringer/vibration toggle.

It's $99 and gives you the peace of mind that if anything happens to the phone, you can get it repaired/replace for $50 over the next 2 years. Being that iPhone 5 is more susceptible to scratches than the 4th generation, having AppleCare+ may not be a bad deal. You could go with a case, but that IMHO hides the beautiful design of the phone and adds bulk.

If you can afford it, why not? Otherwise, look at getting a nice case or bumper.

numberforty1

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2012
Canada
I never anticipate to drop my phone, and I have almost dropped it already once, a fumble of sorts, not a complete drop luckily.

I have Applecare+ and I'm glad I got it for peace of mind.

I wouldn't get it if you spend a lot of money on cases though...one or the other is sufficient.

TaylorMatsu

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2012
I would definitely get it if I were you. I purchased it for all three of my apple products (iP5, iPad Mini, and rMBP)

Like previously mentioned it gives me peace of mind knowing that I can replace my phone should anything happen to it for a fraction of what it originally cost.

The iPhone is expensive, especially when you break it without a warranty and your stuck up **** creek without a paddle because you have to pay 6, 7, or 800 dollars for a replacement or downgrade

MVRL

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2011
AppleCare+ is worth it for me, because I do not use any cases whatsoever.

Here's my reasoning: A regular screen protector is like 20~30 bucks, then a protective case is like 40~50 at least. that's like 60~80 bucks already. Even then, some bad accidents would still damage the phone. On the other hand, for 70 more, you could do away with the hideous cases and have some peace of mind, why not?

Tbh, I enjoy using my iphone5 a lot, it's really snappy and the camera is very fast. I actually see myself sticking to this phone for the next 2years :)

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
i dropped my phone this week on my bathroom floor which is tile... has a nice scratch on the side... I now have a speck candy shell and applecare+ :p

Faize

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2011
The iPhone 4 was basically unusable without some sort of case due to Antennagate and the iPhone 5 is the same thanks to Scuffgate, so I've long since gotten used to always having a case on. I guess I'll be skipping AppleCare if the $50 accidental damage protection is the only justification for spending $99 upfront.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.