Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SC6hhGLz2Kk

Legendary editor/sound designer.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 06:06 PM   #2
mjsanders5uk
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDAVE View Post
This is a year old and based on 10.0.0. 10.0.6 is a completely different beast. Its also worth pointing out that people who know him say he has revised his opinion of it over the past year.

And fwiw - yes he is a very talented editor, but that doesn't mean his word is gospel. I don't think like him or work like him so ill make up my own mind on whats right for me. I suggest others do likewise.
mjsanders5uk is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 07:02 PM   #3
SDAVE
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjsanders5uk View Post
This is a year old and based on 10.0.0. 10.0.6 is a completely different beast. Its also worth pointing out that people who know him say he has revised his opinion of it over the past year.

And fwiw - yes he is a very talented editor, but that doesn't mean his word is gospel. I don't think like him or work like him so ill make up my own mind on whats right for me. I suggest others do likewise.
Walter mentioned that the professional market is a tiny fraction for Apple and if Apple stops caring, they will STILL make money (they are a corporation after all)...and the people who use this professionally and push it to it's limits will move on to something else.

Having professionals use your products is a nice repertoire and Apple should care more about them, including updating the Cinema Displays and Mac Pro's as well as not discontinuing a product right away (like Shake and FCP 7).

No, his word is not gospel, however, he made a few good analogies as to why the move from Apple was so dramatic and sudden.

No one is saying FCP X is unusable. They are saying it changed too suddenly and it will take a few years for it to get back on track and by then, there will be other companies who are ahead (Adobe & Avid).

FCP X should not have been called PRO, should have just been called FC X and they should have kept FCP7 as current until they make "FC X" more feature rich.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 04:38 AM   #4
mjsanders5uk
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDAVE View Post
No one is saying FCP X is unusable. They are saying it changed too suddenly and it will take a few years for it to get back on track and by then, there will be other companies who are ahead (Adobe & Avid).

FCP X should not have been called PRO, should have just been called FC X and they should have kept FCP7 as current until they make "FC X" more feature rich.
As I said, all the comments are based on the first release (well .2 I think by Nov. of last year). The current release is a completely different animal. Already a number of pros are now switching back to FCP X because it does things better than any other editor.

If you want proof that FCP is a pro tool and Apple have not given up on the pro market - check out FCP X's multicam abilities. They are head and shoulders above the competion.

But you have hit the nail on the head with the point that FCP changed to quickly. Basically thats most peoples problem, that apple pulled FCP 7 off the shelves that night - leaving people stuck. If they had kept 7 on the shelves I dont think the back lash would have been half as bad as it has been.
mjsanders5uk is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 06:42 AM   #5
daybreak
macrumors 6502a

Walter's skill is with film and one can get very frustrated when things go wrong with computer software editing. Which he stated. Believe me i should know as one can spend hours sorting a problem out. I call that Editing Time Wasted.
I still maintain film was a beautiful editing format. Now it is a question of shoot video and then "HEY GUY'S...... i want to add an effect.....my clips will not import....etc.
Me and Walter love the editing technology but we got to be careful that Apple and the rest of all the editing manufactures dont go into making space rockets. Or components for rockets. Walter and me will be editing in heaven by then.
daybreak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 02:34 PM   #6
SDAVE
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by daybreak View Post
Walter's skill is with film and one can get very frustrated when things go wrong with computer software editing. Which he stated. Believe me i should know as one can spend hours sorting a problem out. I call that Editing Time Wasted.
I still maintain film was a beautiful editing format. Now it is a question of shoot video and then "HEY GUY'S...... i want to add an effect.....my clips will not import....etc.
Me and Walter love the editing technology but we got to be careful that Apple and the rest of all the editing manufactures dont go into making space rockets. Or components for rockets. Walter and me will be editing in heaven by then.
Don't think it has to do with what tools he used for editing. Editing is editing. You can edit a feature film on FCP X, but the point is, it's not the best solution when there are plenty of other options out there.

That's like saying Picasso's paint brush is a new modernized version and he can't use it. An artist can use any tool and make it work.

I starte editing analog via quarter inch and betacam then moved ton digital and never looked back, but I completely dislike FCP X. The GUI is awkward. Imagine if Adobe completely changed After Effects and Photoshop. The industry would be in uproar.

Of course Adobe would never do that because their livelyhood is the pro market and they are not trying to appeal to the consumer market. Apple on the other hand, cares about the lowest common denominator and that they are a business that are into that. Apple was a prominent voice in the professional world in the early 2000's and the 80's when the desktop publishing was just starting up. I just wish they spent those extra billions on actually caring more about their most loyal market. Having pro's use your products to make films, commercials, etc. is a huge addition to your name, but Apple doesn't seem to care. The hardware (mobile, laptops) are an exception, they are doing a good job in that area.

I frankly don't care about the iDevices from Apple.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 06:27 PM   #7
daybreak
macrumors 6502a

In this age of technology you cant use any tool. P.C user cant use certain editing software nor can Mac users.
The point i was making if Apple or any other editing manufacture for computers software pulled the plug we would be in trouble.
They say history repeats itself. Look at the golden days of cine. Kodak,Fuji-Film, Agfa. Those were the companies who we needed. Today gone from that market.
I have no issue if you like FCP-X or don't. We all have our different formats
But Walter did make a good point about editing formats.
daybreak is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video