Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Anti-Lucifer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 9, 2012
I think apple will continue the blood line as so:

1) Continue selling the mini in 1024x768
2) Have a bad a_s brother called the mini retina and price it more

I am guessing they are doing it to the macbook lineup - there is a regular 13" they are selling, there is a 13" Retina. They didn't discontinue anything. Same for the macbook pro 15".

I believe they are going to go pro with the ipad lineup - the high resolution ipads as the pro models with 100% color gamut like the existing ipad 4.

Just a thought!

FrozenDarkness

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2009
It's not just a thought with a bajillion of the same topics. Anandtech thinks otherwise because apple can't produce magic. You can't fit in a larger battery, better graphics and a retina in a mini package.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
I think the iPad Mini retina will come eventually, just not next year. Perhaps for iPad Mini 3 . Just my best guess.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
If doubling the ipad mini's resolution is too overkill, I wonder if Apple might buck the trend by going with a 3rd resolution for a future ipad mini?

Aug 5, 2012
I'm quite confident the next mini will have a retina. Thats what im waiting for.

Great shout OP

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
If doubling the ipad mini's resolution is too overkill, I wonder if Apple might buck the trend by going with a 3rd resolution for a future ipad mini?

I really thought Apple should have done that from the start, instead of just shrinking down the UI. It seemed really lazy of them.

spcdust

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2008
London, UK
I really thought Apple should have done that from the start, instead of just shrinking down the UI. It seemed really lazy of them.

Apple still sell the same amount of iPad Mini units with the current display and then when they release one with retina rub their hands together as a decent percentage of original iPad Mini owners upgrade to the Retina model. That's how all tech firms operate, even if is possible to give the consumer the technical goodies at the current time firms always stagger their release to maximise profit.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006

No, I don't think it was lazy of them, I think it was actually quite smart for one big reason - all the iPad apps just work on this brand new device. What they have done is to create a device that expands the number of users out there who now are demanding apps *that are already built and available for sale*. This big demand for existing apps is a boon for the developers, which in my opinion is great (for them!) and even better for those of us who bought a mini - we've got access to so many apps on day 1. A changed screen resolution would have meant few apps designed for the device on day 1, and at that point developers would have to ask themselves if staying with iOS was the right thing to do (by developing for yet another resolution), or going with an alternate platform out there instead.

What they did effectively was lock in developers to iOS more than they were prior to the mini's release. That's a very good thing for iPad owners. My mini is so wonderful, and a lot of that is down to the fact that I've got loaded up on it ~150 apps that run on it perfectly.

Saying all that, however, I really hope a future version bumps the screen resolution in some way, but it probably won't happen until they can figure out a way to double it without losing battery life or thinness.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
No retina, but there is no reason they cannot improve the quality of the display.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
No retina, but there is no reason they cannot improve the quality of the display.

You mean like andriod tablets already have? I'd have to agree with you but it seems to be about compatability with current ios apps. If it was better resolution and only slightly and it compromised apps, then I cannot agree.

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
USA
It's not just a thought with a bajillion of the same topics. Anandtech thinks otherwise because apple can't produce magic. You can't fit in a larger battery, better graphics and a retina in a mini package.

Anand has obviously never heard of IZGO display technology, or that Sharp used it to more than doubled the battery life of their 7" tablet, the Aquos Pad SHT21. No magic required.

dhy8386

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008
Anand has obviously never heard of IZGO display technology, or that Sharp used it to more than doubled the battery life of their 7" tablet, the Aquos Pad SHT21. No magic required.

I dont know the specifics of apples display technology but even those IZGO screens are thicker than the old gen ones. They are just low power and have great battery life. The Aquos is 25% thicker than the mini. Of course there may be a way to redesign the internals of the mini but i think it does come down to weight and thinness. I dont think the battery will be a problem. They are always figuring out ways every year to save battery as components use less heat and less power.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005

The Aquos is not trying to push 2048x1536 pixels.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
I think apple will continue the blood line as so:

1) Continue selling the mini in 1024x768
2) Have a bad a_s brother called the mini retina and price it more

I am guessing they are doing it to the macbook lineup - there is a regular 13" they are selling, there is a 13" Retina. They didn't discontinue anything. Same for the macbook pro 15".

I believe they are going to go pro with the ipad lineup - the high resolution ipads as the pro models with 100% color gamut like the existing ipad 4.

Just a thought!

There's one huge difference: the 13.3" and 15.6" Retina displays are far more expensive - even when the pixel densities are lower than that of, for example, the iPhone 5 with the 326 ppi-display.

My guess how they'll do things is like this:

$499 'iPad Pro' - newest model, most recent features
$399 'iPad 9.7"' - last year's model, still just fine
$329 iPad mini - equal to the $399 iPad, except for the size

(And no, I don't think they'll have a $229/$249 "last year's iPad mini").

doctorxring

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2006

Apple reads these forums, therefore there will be a New Mini out
by June '13 with these specs --

1. Retina screen
2. 24 hour battery life for all usage
3. All units come with 128 GB storage
4. It will be a little lighter weight than the first Mini
5. It will be faster than the first Mini, using a Quad-Core chip
6. it will have a mini USB port
7. It will run either Android OS or iOS, or both at the same
time in different windows.
8. It will cost $199
9. You will have the option of trading in your first Mini with a
straight swap at no charge

Life will be good

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
Anyone ever consider that the iPad mini was created to replace the iPad 2 as the "cheaper" iPad? Going forward they could have the iPad (9.7") with Retina and then the iPad mini with nothing in between.

I'm not saying this is going to happen, but Apple likes to stream line things and this would not surprise me on bit.

Fissure

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
Nope.

Technically it's on the fringe of being able to be done within the same physical body of this years Mini. And Apple won't make the Mini thicker or longer/wider.

+

It's not economically feasible considering Apple likes to keep between a 38-42% margin on their hardware products.

Apple could lower their margins but it would have a ripple effect throughout their iPad/Touch product line. They'd basically have to re-price all their products and/or eliminate some.

It will be 2 years from the Mini's release before we see a Retina Mini, maybe 1.5yrs at the least. Technology would have advanced enough to accommodate it and the larger iPads will have some other WoW feature that the Mini wont to justify their higher prices.

On a different note I don't believe Appe will be able to sustain that 38-42% margin on their products. Technologically they are no longer years ahead of their competitors. Their mobile OS is aging. The "only" thing sustaining those margins is their ecosystem (Apps etc.) but it won't be enough unless they crank up the innovation engine again like they did in 2007 with the iPhone. It was the last truly innovative thing they produced. The iPad technically is just a bigger iPhone when it comes down to it. It wasn't a game changing product like the iPhone. It's been 5 years Apple.

Last edited:

Anti-Lucifer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 9, 2012
This needs to be deciphered

They don't have to change the way the apps run on the iPad - but they need to desperately change the entire UI on the iPad - because it's a bunch of wasted space! Sure it works great on the iphone (the current icon layout) - but that's because the iphone screen is smaller.

On the iPad, the entire UI is so bland and just a huge waste! I'm sure they can redo the ipad UI portion only - but allow the apps to be the same. The biggest cjhange needed is not to have a grid of icons - but instead allow more informative, useable information on the springboard. What they have now is really bad in terms of wasting precious space (by blowing up the iphone interface essentially to fit the ipad)

yeah

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
You can't fit in a larger battery, better graphics and a retina in a mini package.

Nano-Wire Battery, Apple makes the smallest graphics card in the world, Apple reinvents the Retina to be less battery hungry and more pixel density.

:D

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
Why is everyone obsessed over the Mini being Retina?

Apple could just improve the resolution (keep the same ratio) and most people won't be able to tell the difference during regular use.

It doesn't have to be all about "Retina" - there is plenty of room for improvement for Apple to make with the Mini's screen while still maintaining margin

plucky duck

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2012
Many people have come to expect seeing retina in Apple devices as the new norm. Where is my iPod Nano Retina :p

MacDarcy

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
I agree that the mini most likely will get a retina screen next year....in fact, i would bet good money it will. But not until October of 2013. That's a whole year away people. ALOT of time to enjoy your current ipad mini. So relax.

I transferred my unlimited AT&T data plan from my ipad first gen to my new ipad mini. I may keep this mini for 3 yrs like I did my first gen ipad and not upgrade to a retina mini next year at all. Or maybe I will upgrade. Who knows.

All I know is I am LOVING this ipad mini. It's my new fav form factor...best of the iPhone and the regular ipad combined.

Seriously, get the mini now if ya need or want it. You won't be disappointed. ;-)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.