Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Always on silence.

I can hear the phone vibrate (making the ringtone unnecessary) in my house.
When I'm out, I can feel it vibrate. The ringer doesn't really aid that much in a noisy environment.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
Only on silent for the places it shold be (movies, church etc.) also use the new privacy settings at night.

More importently why does the OP think a JB is needed to change the ring / message tones.

eelw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
Yup, always on silent. And like that the iPhone 5 vibration is stronger than the iPhone 4. Occasionally missed calls when I didn't feel the vibration in my pocket.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
On silent 24/7. Vibration is good enough as I keep it in my pocket. I may miss the vibration occasionally if I'm moving around but it's no big deal and I pay closer attention if it's something important.

Mxbzz

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2012
80% of the time I kept mine on silent.. the only exception would be if I were expecting a call. I have a housemate that's always texting while watching TV. It is so annoying hearing the clicking and the standard SMS sound every 30 seconds.

EthanNixon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2007
New Jersey
Silent 24/7, since I find ringtones completely, and utterly annoying. Especially when someone lets their phone ring though the entire duration. I find it so annoying, but there might be something wrong with me.

Personally, if you're in a public place, your phone should be on silent for the sake of the sanity of the people around you.

iRetired

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2012
WNY
Never put it on silent - always use the mechanical vibrate switch when I don't want it to ring audibly. If your phone is on silent all the time, what's the purpose of having the phone alert you?

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Maybe apple is thinking..use the do not disturb instead but when I go to bed I sometimes use the phone to check scores and don't want alerts being loud and waking people up.

Johnnygogo

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2012
Always on silent. No other reason than I just got used to it. I don't like my phone ringing and anyone else hearing it

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
mostly on silent because the push sound is driving me up the wall especially when i iMessage from my Mac or iPad and it keeps beeping on my iPhone

and during lectures of course and then i forget to turn it back on most of the time

i wish iOS had the feature where it automatically puts your phone on silent when u enter certain areas

Bugeyeblue

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2011
So do you always keep your phones silent or are you all saying you keep them on vibrate?

plucky duck

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2012
Whenever I am at work, otherwise I let it ring away. Speaking of which, I don't know what is it with chinese people in HK/China and their louder-than-concert-hall music ring tones, they just let it blare for a good 5-10 seconds before they answer. Annoying as hell.

And before anybody says anything, yes I am chinese, I have a chinese wife, and her rings are bloody loud as well. I guess that's karma for me being racist against my own kind eh? lol

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
Only on silent for the places it shold be (movies, church etc.) also use the new privacy settings at night.

More importently why does the OP think a JB is needed to change the ring / message tones.

Exactly. Though I have a mild hearing loss, so while I can hear the ringtones, I can't usually hear it vibrate. I'll put it on vibrate if I'm in a quiet area or places where I need to be quiet. Do Not Disturb is great for sleeping, has replaced putting it on vibrate at night.

Also, I, too, would like to know why OP thinks a JB is necessary...

LaynieGorilla

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2011
PA
I keep it on silent sometimes, like for a few hours out the day but I keep the sound on so if I misplace it in the house or car I can find it easily. The sound is much more convenient to me.

TaylorMatsu

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2012
I never put my phone on silent, usually vibrate or full blast. 80% of the time its on vibrate because of school or work

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I don't usually put my phone on silent except at the movies (or DND mode at night), but I've turned off most notifications like Facebook and other apps that might make noise. Only sounds are VIP emails, texts and calendar/reminder alerts.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Exactly. Though I have a mild hearing loss, so while I can hear the ringtones, I can't usually hear it vibrate. I'll put it on vibrate if I'm in a quiet area or places where I need to be quiet. Do Not Disturb is great for sleeping, has replaced putting it on vibrate at night.

Also, I, too, would like to know why OP thinks a JB is necessary...

A JB is necessary for multiple reasons if you're aware of the abundant flaws and shortcomings in the software,

But for sounds it enables you to download an infinite number of third party sounds

KristinaWilson

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2012
Rochester, New York
Does anyone else keep their phone on silent?

Yes, I always keep my phone on silent when I was on work.It's good habit to fully concentrate on your work.Another option is to having a light peep sound so that you couldn't miss the important call.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I like to know what messages I'm getting so I keep the volume on during the daytime.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.