Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Nov 23, 2012, 09:50 AM   #1
Cactii
macrumors member

OS X inspired Linux distribution

Just thought I would share this with the MAC community.

The other day I was looking for a small, lightweight linux distribution to replace Windows7 with on my girlfriends netbook. It was slow and had some problems with the video drivers after 20min of use to a state of unusable with constant flickering.

A few distros came to mind such as Ubuntu, Mint, Lubuntu etc,. Being a longtime Mac user I thought Linux Mint was the only distribution for her which actually does a decent job in the UI department and would make it easy to use on a delay basis.

After a couple hours of reading through forum posts and searching for information just to see if this little Acer Aspire can run it I came across a distribution called "Elementary OS Luna".

I went through their screenshots and was impressed by how much "inspired" they are by OSX. I have to admit the designers had a serious eye for detail.

Here is a video tour of the OS:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwFFNcfNXW8

Design Concepts:
http://elementaryos.deviantart.com/gallery/

Desktop:

I installed it with no problem. It's fast and I actually felt right at home thanks to the very similar look and feel of OSX .

So, if you have an old PC laptop/netbook and want to have a OSX feel, I would suggest downloading it now before it goes mainstream and Apple shuts them down for being "too inspired".

What do you guys think of this?

Last edited by Cactii; Nov 23, 2012 at 09:58 AM.
Cactii is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac