Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

apple.jpg
Following the international launches, Apple has kicked off its Black Friday sale in the U.S. Online Apple Store. The selection of products on discount are the same as the international stores. The discounted products are listed:

- iPad with Retina Display - $41 Off
- iPad 2 - $31 Off
- iPod touch - $ 31 Off
- iPod touch 4th Generation - $21 Off
- iPod nano - $11 Off
- MacBook Pro with Retina - $101 Off
- MacBook Pro - $101 Off
- MacBook Air - $101 Off
- Various Accessories

Both Best Buy and MacMall seem to have deeper discounts on select products in their base configuration. The other thing to consider is that Apple and Best Buy will charge sales tax in most states due to their national retail presence.

Article Link: Apple Launches Black Friday Sale in U.S. with Discounts on iPads, MacBook Pros, Airs and More

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
What a pathetic sale. You'd think they have enough money to afford bigger cuts on prices. I think this iPhone 5 is the last thing I buy from this company to be honest.

EwanMcTeagle

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2012
Lodz, Poland
Yep. The price cuts are astonishing. Now I would like to buy my mother a 13" Macbook Air: here in Poland - it's $1500 instead of $1700. Wow. What a bold discount!;) Almost got me convinced not to buy a Mac in the US where it's even cheaper. Almost had me there... ;)

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
Premium brands don't do heavy discounts. Marketing 101. First they don't need to, second it devalues the product over the long term. Consumers will just have to get over it.

Paulg2uk

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2008
£81.00 discount on a 15" MBPR over here in the UK. No further discount with a student discount. I'm not really impressed at all. I mean £81 on a £2600 laptop. If it was £200 then it would be a worthwhile discount. It's not like Apple can't afford to drop their pries that much for one day.

jmbill

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2008
Unless I'm mistaken, they don't seem to be including any third-party accessories or software this year, which is a shame. There used to be a treasure-trove of goodies with decent discounts applied.

I recall from previous years when there used to be several pages of discounted products - speakers, docks, cables, hard drives, Adobe software, cases, printers, cameras, and loads of other stuff.

Bit disappointing this year...

madrag

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2007
Unless I'm mistaken, they don't seem to be including any third-party accessories or software this year, which is a shame. There used to be a treasure-trove of goodies with decent discounts applied.

I recall from previous years when there used to be several pages of discounted products - speakers, docks, cables, hard drives, Adobe software, cases, printers, cameras, and loads of other stuff.

Bit disappointing this year...

Some keyboards are discounted, but overall in my opinion this is a low discount.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
Some good reductions.

Smart cover is currently the price it should be all year!

*If you were wanting BIG discounts and dirt cheap prices, your looking at the wrong company.

ChelseaJK

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2011
Apple is selling the 64 GB iPod Touch for $358, and I'll definitely be buying one. I was surprised that they discounted it $41, because I was expecting that they would only take off around $15-20. There's no sales tax in Montana so for someone who was planning on buying an iPod this year anyway it's a nice savings.

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO
What annoys me is that there's not a single iPad mini associated discount. Only the regular sized Smart Cover is on sale for example. It's bad enough that the one for the mini is normally the same price as the regular one. But with this sale it's actually $11 MORE?! WTF Apple?

Keane16

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2007
What a pathetic sale. You'd think they have enough money to afford bigger cuts on prices. I think this iPhone 5 is the last thing I buy from this company to be honest.

You're going to stop buying from them because they didn't discount steeply enough on Black Friday?

If price is what matters to you above build quality, ease of use, design etc then you started with the wrong company. Apple have never led the way on price (except prehaps the original iPad in the 'modern' tablet sector when it was first released). And they certainly haven't done blowout sales.

The whole 'Apple has enough money' argument is tiresome. People want them to give employees bigger discounts, they want steeper discounts on Black Friday, Apple should've donated more to Sandy relief, they should sell their stuff cheaper as it's overpriced, they should give their shareholders a bigger dividend, so on and so forth.... You can't please everyone.

Personally I can see some nice little discounts, I'll be picking up some Christmas presents early... :)

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
You're going to stop buying from them because they didn't discount steeply enough on Black Friday?

If price is what matters to you above build quality, ease of use, design etc then you started with the wrong company. Apple have never led the way on price (except prehaps the original iPad in the 'modern' tablet sector when it was first released). And they certainly haven't done blowout sales.

The whole 'Apple has enough money' argument is tiresome. People want them to give employees bigger discounts, they want steeper discounts on Black Friday, Apple should've donated more to Sandy relief, they should sell their stuff cheaper as it's overpriced, they should give their shareholders a bigger dividend, so on and so forth.... You can't please everyone.

Personally I can see some nice little discounts, I'll be picking up some Christmas presents early... :)
Well that's the thing. Build quality? iPhone 5? Not quite. Not with it being the scratch magnet that it is.

It's easy to use because it's virtually unchanged from 5 years ago. Now I have Windows 8 which boots about twice as fast as OSX on my MacBook and can do basic things like cut and paste (lol) not to mention much better app compatibility. And look at Android...

I just see Apple starting to fall soon. Looks like they already have, with their stocks taking a bigger dip than ever before. No company stays on top forever, and with Apple's real leadership gone, it will start heading downwards. They'll be shooting themselves in the foot once again if iOS 7 is still the same grid with a few new features and minor UI changes, which it'll probably end up being.

All that said, it's simply unwise to invest in Apple for much longer. It's not just because of this pathetic sale.

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
What are you talking about? Show me a single Apple computer, tablet, or phone that doesn't support cut and paste.

Can't cut and paste files in OSX.

Edit: Appears you can move files whilst copying by pressing 3 buttons at the same time. Gee, that's convenient.

macgames

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2012
Almost forgot to mention - if you've just bought a Mac, or already have one, check out the Black Friday deals (last the whole weekend) on MacGames.co.uk Lots of bargains to be had!

nekonari

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2012
Washington, DC
They over-did it.

Can't cut and paste files in OSX.

Edit: Appears you can move files whilst copying by pressing 3 buttons at the same time. Gee, that's convenient.

Yeah, mind-boggling. I was actually really disturbed that I couldn't see Cut-Paste anywhere on UI. Then found out they hid visual clutter by hiding them in alternate menu items... And I think that's a huge misstep. They originally wanted to create a machine anyone can use with a single button. Now, they created a machine that must use two handed to do something very simple as Cut-Paste.

Magical, Apple. Just magical.

BRyken

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2008
I wonder how well Apple actually did given there were so many other places offering steeper discounts.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Retina MacBook Pro (16gb, 512gb ssd, dGPU, 15") is at Best Buy for $2300 with a student discount. I'll pass on this one.

----------

umm, today, Friday, is the 22nd, not the 23rd (date of article).

This was last year (just noticed). ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.