Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gxgn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2011
Hi, I have a 2009 2.8 quad MP, 16GB. For the last 3-5 months my computer is very reluctant to start.

I have to press the start button once, keep it pressed a bit, hear a little click noise, release the button, press it again and keep it a bit longer and then it will start.

It doesn't matter if it's a cold start or a wake up from sleep - same issue.
I did try to reset the NVram, SMC, unplug etc. It doesn't work.

Has anyone else seen this issue?

thanks
George

Loa

macrumors 68000
May 5, 2003
Québec
Hello,

I agree: power supply. Can you take one from another Mac Pro to test? (not an easy thing to switch, but cheaper than bringing it to an Apple Store)

Loa

gxgn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2011
Hello,

I agree: power supply. Can you take one from another Mac Pro to test? (not an easy thing to switch, but cheaper than bringing it to an Apple Store)

Loa

I wish I had a way to test it. I don't know anyone else with a MP and I live pretty far from the store.

DanielCoffey

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2010
Edinburgh, UK
Excuse me if I am mistaken, but can some Mac Pros boot without a graphics card? I know you can't use the machine when it is running "headless" but it would reduce the load on the power supply significantly and be useful as a test.

Disconnect any non-boot drives and take out the graphics card temporarily and then see if it starts up and shuts down more reliably. Then put the graphics card back in and see if there is a difference.

Is this a case where the Apple Hardware Test would be useful once the machine has actually booted?

Details : http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1509?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

El Awesome

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2012
Zurich
Excuse me if I am mistaken, but can some Mac Pros boot without a graphics card? I know you can't use the machine when it is running "headless" but it would reduce the load on the power supply significantly and be useful as a test.

Disconnect any non-boot drives and take out the graphics card temporarily and then see if it starts up and shuts down more reliably. Then put the graphics card back in and see if there is a difference.

Is this a case where the Apple Hardware Test would be useful once the machine has actually booted?

Details : http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1509?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

You can actually use another device to Remote-control the GPU-less Mac Pro to check if it works.

DanielCoffey

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2010
Edinburgh, UK
Replacement PSU for the Early-2009 seems to cost about £180 plus shipping on the UK eBay site and there are vids around to show removal.

Since you are out of warranty, that would be one option. The other is to make a non-AppleCare appointment in a major Apple Store and ask for a quote.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.