Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Old Nov 23, 2012, 11:55 AM   #601
Moyank24
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63dot View Post
So true. Not only was this year marred by the replacement refs and their seemingly bad calls, the full on NFL with their "rules" and regular refs found a way to make this season even more of a joke by going one up on them! When this is all over, we will likely forget how good or bad the refs and replacement refs were in 2012-2013 but see this as the year they had this stupid rule (which will probably get tossed beginning next season). The NFL is the joke here.

In all the years I have followed football, I have never seen anything so unfair, and yes, totally not in the spirit of the game. The stupidity of it is beyond comprehension.
I think we can all agree that this particular rule is a joke (although I can see the logic of something like it), but that still doesn't absolve 2 NFL head coaches for not knowing the rules. They should both know better.
Moyank24 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 12:06 PM   #602
63dot
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moyank24 View Post
I think we can all agree that this particular rule is a joke (although I can see the logic of something like it), but that still doesn't absolve 2 NFL head coaches for not knowing the rules. They should both know better.
What can be done is to penalize the coach 15 yards, and while harsh, it's a penalty. But why double penalize them? There was also the fact the play could not be reviewed. The whole point of the instant replay is to get it right.

This rule is going to be changed. The coaches erred by doing what they did knowing the rule, but the egg is on the face of the professional football.

http://www.anyclip.com/movies/leatherheads/
63dot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 12:15 PM   #603
Moyank24
macrumors 68040

Quote:
What can be done is to penalize the coach 15 yards, and while harsh, it's a penalty. But why double penalize them? There was also the fact the play could not be reviewed. The whole point of the instant replay is to get it right.

This rule is going to be changed. The coaches erred by doing what they did knowing the rule, but the egg is on the face of the professional football.

http://www.anyclip.com/movies/leatherheads/
Again, I completely agree with you. The rule is going to be changed. And what's the point of arguing the stupidity of a rule 2/3 the way through the season. It's not like they put it in place last week.

And again, in my opinion there is no excuse for a coach to not know what the penalty is.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 12:23 PM   #604
63dot
macrumors 601

Quote:
Again, I completely agree with you. The rule is going to be changed. And what's the point of arguing the stupidity of a rule 2/3 the way through the season. It's not like they put it in place last week.

And again, in my opinion there is no excuse for a coach to not know what the penalty is.
I agree with you there, too as to the responsibility of coaches. I sure hope this rule doesn't mess up more games and thus the reason so many are talking about it all over the internet. Football as it evolved from pure chaos in its early days to where it is now is an evolving sport and a glitch in the rules showed its ugly head more than once recently.

What if this had been the super bowl, would you as the NFL enforce the call? A game like this, if it was the super bowl, would forever have an asterisk behind it.

Even if I were a Houston fan, I would not be too happy with this game, either. It's not out of the question that they will go all the way and win everything. I just would not want to have this win be key in a successful super bowl run. I like to win games cleanly, not because of a bad rule which disallows a review of the play.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 12:30 PM   #605
MacDawg
macrumors P6

Quote:
Quote:

I don't think either coach was ignorant of the rule, that isn't the issue at all to me
I don't think either was surprised... "damn, huh? there is a rule about this?? WTF?"
I am sure they knew the rule in theory

But it is such a non-intuitive, absurdity it doesn't register logically in the brain in the time it takes emotionally to reach in the pocket (sock?) to throw a red flag to correct a blatant game changing injustice that just occurred using the only means at your disposal to do so... nor should it, because the rule is just plain wrong.
MacDawg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 12:43 PM   #606
Moyank24
macrumors 68040

Quote:
I agree with you there, too as to the responsibility of coaches. I sure hope this rule doesn't mess up more games and thus the reason so many are talking about it all over the internet. Football as it evolved from pure chaos in its early days to where it is now is an evolving sport and a glitch in the rules showed its ugly head more than once recently.

What if this had been the super bowl, would you as the NFL enforce the call? A game like this, if it was the super bowl, would forever have an asterisk behind it.

Even if I were a Houston fan, I would not be too happy with this game, either. It's not out of the question that they will go all the way and win everything. I just would not want to have this win be key in a successful super bowl run. I like to win games cleanly, not because of a bad rule which disallows a review of the play.
Even if it were the Super Bowl, of course you would have to enforce it - a la the Tuck Rule. And even in a Super Bowl it would still be the fault of the coach for not knowing something so important. Why would there be an asterisk? As stupid as it is, it's a clearly defined rule.

Is it a stupid rule, yes? But I wouldn't go so far as to call it a glitch. And let's not let these highly paid coaches off the hook for not knowing something they should absolutely know.

And for the Texans. Yes - they were given a touchdown on a play they shouldn't have. They got lucky - and sometimes it's better to be lucky than good. Also, give kudos to Forsett for continuing the play after not hearing a whistle. Also, the rule didn't give them the touchdown, it was the lack of knowledge by Schwartz. And, of course, who knows what would have happened? If the kicker doesn't hit the crossbars in OT, this wouldn't be such a huge thing.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDawg View Post
I don't think either coach was ignorant of the rule, that isn't the issue at all to me
I don't think either was surprised... "damn, huh? there is a rule about this?? WTF?"

But it is such a non-intuitive, absurdity it doesn't register logically in the brain in the time it takes emotionally to reach in the pocket (sock?) to throw a red flag to correct a blatant game changing injustice that just occurred using the only means at your disposal to do so... nor should it, because the rule is just plain wrong.
So, you're saying the coaches knew the rule "in theory" but because it's stupid they shouldn't take any blame? There have been plenty of "injustices" overturned by replay for teams whose coaches haven't made the same mistake.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I'm not going to give a pass to guys who get paid a lot of money to know the rules and to act accordingly based on those rules - whether they are "emotional" or not.
Moyank24 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 12:48 PM   #607
MacNut
macrumors P6

Quote:

The major flaw in the rule is that a coach can throw the flag knowing the ruling would be against his team and therefore screw the other team.
MacNut is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 12:57 PM   #608
MacDawg
macrumors P6

Quote:
So, you're saying the coaches knew the rule "in theory" but because it's stupid they shouldn't take any blame? There have been plenty of "injustices" overturned by replay for teams whose coaches haven't made the same mistake.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I'm not going to give a pass to guys who get paid a lot of money to know the rules and to act accordingly based on those rules - whether they are "emotional" or not.
I didn't say anything about the coaches not taking any blame
You just keep saying they should have known the rule, like they were ignorant
I am saying they did know it, they weren't ignorant of it
Yes, they have to be accountable, but to me, it is an understandable mistake
I don't think they deserve a pass, but I do think the NFL needs to be criticized

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNut View Post
The major flaw in the rule is that a coach can throw the flag knowing the ruling would be against his team and therefore screw the other team.
Fair point
Old Nov 23, 2012, 12:59 PM   #609
zioxide
macrumors 603

Quote:
I completely agree. And however ridiculous and non-intuitive it is, they should know the rule - or at the very least they should have people working for them who know to tell them not to throw the flag. They are paid a lot of money to know the rules, and to know they shouldn't be making "emotional" decisions.

*I'll also note that I live in Houston and I'm a Texans season tickets holder*

----------

How about for this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjnyc View Post
The 2012 New York Jets ladies and gentleman.
Like I said, it's a three ring circus.

I enjoyed the game last night though Just like Big Vince enjoyed his turkey leg at the end of the game

zioxide is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 01:11 PM   #610
Moyank24
macrumors 68040

Quote:
I didn't say anything about the coaches not taking any blame
You just keep saying they should have known the rule, like they were ignorant
I am saying they did know it, they weren't ignorant of it
Yes, they have to be accountable, but to me, it is an understandable mistake
I don't think they deserve a pass, but I do think the NFL needs to be criticized
I agree that they should be criticized, and the rule will most certainly be changed.

We'll still have to agree to disagree. I don't believe it's an understandable mistake - maybe in week 1, but not this far into the season, and not after one coach has already made the mistake last week.

I guess men are more emotional than women after all. *shrug*

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by zioxide View Post
Like I said, it's a three ring circus.

I enjoyed the game last night though Just like Big Vince enjoyed his turkey leg at the end of the game
That game was obviously not enjoyable for us Jets fans. It's been a tough season, and as loyal as we've all been over the years we deserve better.

Even Fireman Ed is over it.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 01:14 PM   #611
Vetvito
macrumors 6502a

It was a emotional flag thrown by the coach. He knew the rule, but in the heat of the moment and with people in your ear on the sidelines and upstairs all screaming WTF, I'm certain plenty of people would have done the exact same thing.

This was a huge momentum shift in the game.

Game over, rule will be changed.
Vetvito is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 03:22 PM   #612
zioxide
macrumors 603

Quote:
That game was obviously not enjoyable for us Jets fans. It's been a tough season, and as loyal as we've all been over the years we deserve better.

Even Fireman Ed is over it.
Your team needs to do some house cleaning. New GM, coach, and quarterback and you'll be in much better shape.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 03:28 PM   #613
Moyank24
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Your team needs to do some house cleaning. New GM, coach, and quarterback and you'll be in much better shape.
ya think?

I'd start with the GM and Sparano. Rex doesn't have much to work with - he can only do so much with the crap that he's been given.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 04:13 PM   #614
zioxide
macrumors 603

Quote:
ya think?

I'd start with the GM and Sparano. Rex doesn't have much to work with - he can only do so much with the crap that he's been given.
Rex has proved he's a clown who can't control his players. Trash talking, players anonymously complaining about other players to the media, etc. He's not head coach material if he can't control his players.

You would NEVER see anything like that coming out of a team coached by Belichick, Coughlin, either Harbaugh, Tomlin, McCarthy, Payton, etc.

Speaking of Sean Payton, if he doesn't go back to the Saints, he'd be a great candidate for the Jets (though as a Patriots fan I would hate that because he's a great coach).

Rex is a good defensive coordinator but he isn't the authority figure you need for a head coach.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 04:21 PM   #615
Moyank24
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Rex has proved he's a clown who can't control his players. Trash talking, players anonymously complaining about other players to the media, etc. He's not head coach material if he can't control his players.

You would NEVER see anything like that coming out of a team coached by Belichick, Coughlin, either Harbaugh, Tomlin, McCarthy, Payton, etc.

Speaking of Sean Payton, if he doesn't go back to the Saints, he'd be a great candidate for the Jets (though as a Patriots fan I would hate that because he's a great coach).

Rex is a good defensive coordinator but he isn't the authority figure you need for a head coach.
To be fair, was he a bad coach when he took the Jets to back-to-back AFC Championship games? All of the teams you've mentioned are winning teams with much better talent than the Jets have right now. It's easy to shut up and work when you are winning. When you aren't, the sh** hits the fan.

And you have a short memory. Coughlin has had issues with players (most recently Bradshaw this year & BJ last year), and the Ravens have a history of trash-talking, as do the Steelers - who also have a history of dirty players. Both the 49'ers and Packers refused to give the Giants credit for beating them in the playoffs' - not exactly the height of sportsmanship. A lot is forgiven when a team is winning and going to the playoffs every year.

Last edited by Moyank24; Nov 23, 2012 at 04:27 PM.
Moyank24 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 04:48 PM   #616
jsolares
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I agree that they should be criticized, and the rule will most certainly be changed.

We'll still have to agree to disagree. I don't believe it's an understandable mistake - maybe in week 1, but not this far into the season, and not after one coach has already made the mistake last week.

I guess men are more emotional than women after all. *shrug*
Hey i'm not a woman and i think those two are overreacting, and acting on impulse just like a coach that didn't stop to think and threw the red flag that cost his team a game....

Poor Lions though
Old Nov 24, 2012, 07:07 PM   #617
Vetvito
macrumors 6502a

Who you guys picking for tomorrow?
Old Nov 24, 2012, 07:37 PM   #618
einmusiker
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vetvito View Post
Who you guys picking for tomorrow?
Packers
Bears
Bucs
CIN
CLE
IND
DEN
SEA
TEN
SD
NO
Old Nov 25, 2012, 07:04 AM   #619
pachyderm
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vetvito View Post
It was a emotional flag thrown by the coach. He knew the rule, but in the heat of the moment and with people in your ear on the sidelines and upstairs all screaming WTF, I'm certain plenty of people would have done the exact same thing.

This was a huge momentum shift in the game.

Game over, rule will be changed.
he he he...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsolares View Post
Hey i'm not a woman and i think those two are overreacting, and acting on impulse just like a coach that didn't stop to think and threw the red flag that cost his team a game....

Poor Lions though
stoopid way to lose. couldn't happen to a better team. i used to want to see them be a contender but now, two season in a row, Schwartz and Suh have proven themselves to be *ssh*les... keep finding new ways to lose, losers.

Last edited by pachyderm; Nov 25, 2012 at 08:52 AM.
pachyderm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 03:18 PM   #620
MacDawg
macrumors P6

Falcons move to 10-1 with a big divisional win
Up 4 games in the NFC South with 5 to play
Saints coming to town this Thursday for another big game

This isn't the BCS, so style points don't count
Just win baby
Old Nov 25, 2012, 03:24 PM   #621
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

Quote:
This isn't the BCS, so style points don't count
Just win baby
I feel the same way about the Broncos win. It was ugly, but I'll take it.
ucfgrad93 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 07:17 PM   #622
63dot
macrumors 601

Niners get it done again without starting QB and stop Brees with defense as was expected. We have the defense side solidified for sure and I hope our offense finds a solid rhythm. Our QB did get a TD though and hopefully should grow with offense if we keep him there. Alex Smith is still our strongest foot forward.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 07:36 PM   #623
Vetvito
macrumors 6502a

Defense saved Colin today. Great game.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:08 AM   #624
mscriv
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Niners get it done again without starting QB and stop Brees with defense as was expected. We have the defense side solidified for sure and I hope our offense finds a solid rhythm. Our QB did get a TD though and hopefully should grow with offense if we keep him there. Alex Smith is still our strongest foot forward.
Well, the QB controversy that has emerged isn't going to help at all. Typically, these things only serve as a distraction and have a negative impact on the team.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:47 AM   #625
63dot
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscriv View Post
Well, the QB controversy that has emerged isn't going to help at all. Typically, these things only serve as a distraction and have a negative impact on the team.
I think what they aren't saying is that Alex Smith is not to full health yet. It takes time for head injuries to heal and the team is likely going to have him be the full time QB for years to come. I would rest Smith another week at least and use our capable backup as that's what they are for. When the time calls for it in the future, retire Smith and go with new guy.

Smith has finally found his efficiency this late in his career and he's a good enough asset for the team though I wish we had had a stronger QB like a Montana or Young. I wouldn't expect most QBs to go at a top level into age 35 like Brady or Manning, but if we get three or four more years more out of Smith and postseason berths, then we are good. I know what it's like to also be in the dog house and in past years there were times when going 9-7 would have been considered a triumph.

After Steve Young went down to injury in 1999, we spent 10 seasons not reaching at least 9-7

1999 1999 NFL NFC West 4th 4 12 0 Bryant Young (CBPOY)
2000 2000 NFL NFC West 4th 6 10 0
2001 2001 NFL NFC West 2nd 12 4 0 Lost Wild Card Playoffs (Packers) 25-15 Garrison Hearst (CBPOY)
2002 2002 NFL NFC West 1st 10 6 0 Won Wild Card Playoffs (Giants) 39-38
Lost Divisional Playoffs (Buccaneers) 31-6
2003 2003 NFL NFC West 3rd 7 9 0
2004 2004 NFL NFC West 4th 2 14 0
2005 2005 NFL NFC West 4th 4 12 0
2006 2006 NFL NFC West 3rd 7 9 0
2007 2007 NFL NFC West 3rd 5 11 0 Patrick Willis (Def.ROY)
2008 2008 NFL NFC West 2nd 7 9 0
2009 2009 NFL NFC West 2nd 8 8 0
2010 2010 NFL NFC West 3rd 6 10 0
2011 2011 NFL NFC West 1st 13 3 0 Won Divisional Playoffs (Saints) 36-32
Lost Conference Championship (Giants) 20-17 (OT) Jim Harbaugh (NFL COY)

Last edited by 63dot; Nov 26, 2012 at 10:58 AM.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion