Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac

Old Nov 23, 2012, 10:59 AM   #1
guklein
macrumors 6502a

Performance using Paralells (Windows)

Hello!

I have an iMac 21.5. I am thinking about installing Windows using Paralells.

My doubt is: my Mac will lose performance? Will it be slow? Or no changes in performance?

Thanks!
guklein is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 12:51 PM   #2
silver25u
macrumors member

There WILL be some performance hit... the question is to what degree and if it will be noticeable. The question you should be asking yourself is if the benefits of using Parallels/VMware Fusion/VirtualBox worth the hit.

There are plenty of guides and tips here on the forums and on the internet on how to configure your VM for optimal performance. It really comes down to your hardware, settings, and what you intend to do in your virtual OS.

In my experience, you can get high performance from both your Mac OS and virtualized Windows if you use the right settings AND have plenty of RAM. I have a 2010 MBP with 8GB RAM and don't see any significant performance hit on Mac and an acceptable sluggishness on Windows.
silver25u is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 02:53 PM   #3
guklein
macrumors 6502a

I will use windows to run 2 little apps!
Just for it!

I have a Windows XP from an old PC.

In my case, what is the best solution? Bootcamp, Paralells or VMware?

My iMac 21.5 has 8MG RAM.

Thanks!
guklein is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac