Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattyuk

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2009
Cumbria
Still loving my Trek

e0b95a1433f311e2b74c22000a9f1427_7.jpg

Biggs88

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2012
Ok I had the details incorrect, but it isn't the original Made in France bike company that it used to be.

No.

It's not even a "real" bike company in the sense Trek is.

Motobecane is really just the name they apply to the frame. Motobecane works with the bike makers in Taiwan and uses bike frame designs that are already being made for other people. Motobecane just orders the frames that are already being made and has their name thrown on them.

That said, the frames are very nice. Rock solid, beefy and clean welds make it like a tank.

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
It appears you get a lot of details incorrect.

Its worth reading up on a subject before posting statements like that.

What is your problem with me? I simply posted they aren't the same company that they used to be. I had the minor details incorrect, but I admitted I was wrong. There's nothing wrong with the "new" Motobecanes (in fact, they are fantastic bikes), but the company is now just a name. The pedigree is gone.

----------

No.

It's not even a "real" bike company in the sense Trek is.

Motobecane is really just the name they apply to the frame. Motobecane works with the bike makers in Taiwan and uses bike frame designs that are already being made for other people. Motobecane just orders the frames that are already being made and has their name thrown on them.

Giant actually makes a lot of today's bike frames. The Specialized Sirrus is one of the bikes that Giant manufactures. I'm sure my Fuji is made by Giant too.

Mr Pink57

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2011
a van down by the river

Summer

Winter

Race (sans seatpost bag)

Just picked up my warrantied frame from the shop they built it up for free! Have to make a few changes like the seat and the handlebars will be lower. Saved me the hassle of looking for a new race frame for next year.

Last edited:

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
Not my bike. It's being lent to me by my school's college counselor's husband who had it in his basement for a few years. He'll either give it to me or sell it to me for a low price.

It's an early 2000's Merlin Solis. Titanium with carbon fiber seatstays. Compared to my Aluminum Fuji, it's like riding on a cloud. The carbon seatstays just absorb shocks from the road.

merlin_zpsc04becfd.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.