Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:16 AM   #151
kahuna0k
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
I have called applecare today with this problem, and they told me that they are aware of the problem. So I suggest everybody with applecare to call just to make them aware that the problem is a BIG problem.

Regards,
kahuna0k is offline   0
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:00 PM   #152
kurinzo
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahuna0k View Post
I have called applecare today with this problem, and they told me that they are aware of the problem. So I suggest everybody with applecare to call just to make them aware that the problem is a BIG problem.

Regards,
Is this good news, or bad?

What do you think, will Apple release a fix for our problem after that calls?
kurinzo is offline   0
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:56 PM   #153
kurinzo
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Hey, guys, i have an idea.
What about taking out EFI old firmware (from not updated Retina-book, from EFI partition)
MBP101_00EE_B00_LOCKED.scap and flash it via terminal? Will it help?
kurinzo is offline   0
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:33 PM   #154
terraphantm
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurinzo View Post
Hey, guys, i have an idea.
What about taking out EFI old firmware (from not updated Retina-book, from EFI partition)
MBP101_00EE_B00_LOCKED.scap and flash it via terminal? Will it help?
I don't remember seeing such a file in my EFI partition before I flashed (I did look) - but if you've got one, I think it's worth a try
terraphantm is offline   0
Old Nov 20, 2012, 04:01 AM   #155
kurinzo
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by terraphantm View Post
I don't remember seeing such a file in my EFI partition before I flashed (I did look) - but if you've got one, I think it's worth a try
lol, i didn't thought about it.
In a real, i dont know where to get this file.
I thought somebody can extract firmware from stock rMBP, but i dont know - can it be done, or not?
kurinzo is offline   0
Old Nov 20, 2012, 04:15 AM   #156
kahuna0k
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurinzo View Post
Is this good news, or bad?

What do you think, will Apple release a fix for our problem after that calls?
I do not know, but I think they prioritise things based on the number of affected users, or so should they do :-D
kahuna0k is offline   0
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:15 PM   #157
kurinzo
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahuna0k View Post
I do not know, but I think they prioritise things based on the number of affected users, or so should they do :-D
Oh.
I wrote a letter to Tim Cook
kurinzo is offline   0
Old Nov 22, 2012, 06:44 AM   #158
BaNNeR766
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
so , any news ?
BaNNeR766 is offline   0
Old Nov 22, 2012, 04:53 PM   #159
kurinzo
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
No...
kurinzo is offline   0
Old Nov 23, 2012, 10:11 AM   #160
caesarox
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Good news for us ... I've talked to an Apple employee these days, and he said that Apple knows this problem and is working on fixing this with the next EFI Upgrade for Retina MacBooks. So stay tuned ... Apple software engineers are working on it. Maybe the problem is fixed within the next few weeks ...
caesarox is offline   0
Old Nov 23, 2012, 10:53 AM   #161
kurinzo
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
And they gave no ETA.

Oh. Ill hope they will release update faster faster
kurinzo is offline   0
Old Nov 23, 2012, 01:59 PM   #162
BaNNeR766
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurinzo View Post
And they gave no ETA.

Oh. Ill hope they will release update faster faster
2 months have passed , they are fastter then light...
BaNNeR766 is offline   0
Old Nov 23, 2012, 02:48 PM   #163
kurinzo
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaNNeR766 View Post
2 months have passed , they are fastter then light...
I did not expected this from Apple...
No ETA, 2 months passed - no fix. Oh god. Bless Steve.
kurinzo is offline   0
Old Nov 23, 2012, 06:03 PM   #164
houkouonchi
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
If anyone wants here is the EFI boot file in my macbook pro retina:

http://box.houkouonchi.jp/Firmware.scap

It was in this folder on the EFI partition:

/EFI/APPLE/EXTENSIONS

I primarily run linux so I have not done any of the apple updates nor have i seen/noticed an issue like everyone talks about in the thread.
houkouonchi is offline   0
Old Nov 23, 2012, 06:35 PM   #165
kahuna0k
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by houkouonchi View Post
If anyone wants here is the EFI boot file in my macbook pro retina:

http://box.houkouonchi.jp/Firmware.scap

It was in this folder on the EFI partition:

/EFI/APPLE/EXTENSIONS

I primarily run linux so I have not done any of the apple updates nor have i seen/noticed an issue like everyone talks about in the thread.
It is exactly the same that I have on my MacBook Pro Retina with EFI updated. What about the content of /EFI/APPLE/FIRMWARE ?
kahuna0k is offline   0
Old Nov 24, 2012, 10:48 AM   #166
houkouonchi
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahuna0k View Post
It is exactly the same that I have on my MacBook Pro Retina with EFI updated. What about the content of /EFI/APPLE/FIRMWARE ?
I don't have that firmware folder at all:

Code:
root@rmbp: 08:47 AM :/efi# ls -lsah EFI/APPLE
total 2.0K
512 drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 512 2012-06-18 23:24 .
512 drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 512 2012-07-15 09:44 ..
512 drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 512 2012-06-18 23:24 CACHES
512 drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 512 2012-06-14 07:21 EXTENSIONS
root@rmbp: 08:47 AM :/efi# ls -lsah EFI/APPLE/CACHES/
total 1.5K
512 drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 512 2012-06-18 23:24 .
512 drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 512 2012-06-18 23:24 ..
512 drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 512 2012-06-18 23:24 CAFEBEEF
root@rmbp: 08:47 AM :/efi# ls -lsah EFI/APPLE/CACHES/CAFEBEEF/
total 1.0K
512 drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 512 2012-06-18 23:24 .
512 drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 512 2012-06-18 23:24 ..
root@rmbp: 08:47 AM :/efi# ls -lsah EFI/APPLE/EXTENSIONS/
total 16M
512 drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 512 2012-06-14 07:21 .
512 drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 512 2012-06-18 23:24 ..
16M -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 16M 2012-06-18 11:13 Firmware.scap
root@rmbp: 08:47 AM :/efi#
houkouonchi is offline   0
Old Nov 24, 2012, 03:40 PM   #167
kahuna0k
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by houkouonchi View Post
I don't have that firmware folder at all:
Uhmm really strange

Code:
/EFI:
total 1
drwxrwxrwx  1 german  staff  512 Sep  7 14:16 APPLE

./EFI/APPLE:
total 2
drwxrwxrwx  1 german  staff  512 Sep  7 03:32 EXTENSIONS
drwxrwxrwx  1 german  staff  512 Sep 20 02:15 FIRMWARE

./EFI/APPLE/EXTENSIONS:
total 30722
-rwxrwxrwx  1 german  staff  15729264 Sep  7 03:32 Firmware.scap

./EFI/APPLE/FIRMWARE:
total 16514
-rwxrwxrwx  1 german  staff  8454768 Sep 20 02:15 MBP101_00EE_B02_LOCKED.scap
that's the content of my EFI partition, so it seems that the new EFI is the MBP101_00EE_B02_LOCKED.scap

maybe just that file is loaded during boot up "fixing" what apple thinks need to be fixed. I should check if there is any info on Mac EFI boot up procedure. And what happens if I remove that file.

Edit: I downloaded the EFI update package and check the content and the scripts, it use the bless command to mount the new firmware (the .scap file) so maybe the copy under /EFI is only for installation, but we cannot got the old one back. So we need to wait for Apple fixing it.

Last edited by kahuna0k; Nov 24, 2012 at 04:56 PM.
kahuna0k is offline   0
Old Nov 26, 2012, 11:41 AM   #168
beestigbeestje
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Belgium
Send a message via AIM to beestigbeestje
Reinstalled my OS

I redid a clean install to 10.8.0 but the issue still stands. Performance is bad, even playing Borderlands 2 it at the lowest settings.

Updated again to 10.8.2

I came across this

But I can't seem to find the files anywhere.
__________________
Santa Rosa Macbook pro 2.4Ghz 4gb RAM
Retina Macbook Pro 15 inch 2,6ghz 16gb ram
iPhone 4 - AppleTV 2 - iPad 2
beestigbeestje is offline   0
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:15 PM   #169
Junkyman
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by beestigbeestje View Post
I redid a clean install to 10.8.0 but the issue still stands. Performance is bad, even playing Borderlands 2 it at the lowest settings.

Updated again to 10.8.2

I came across this

But I can't seem to find the files anywhere.
Has anyone successfully tried this?
Junkyman is offline   0
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:59 PM   #170
kurinzo
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkyman View Post
Has anyone successfully tried this?
no success...
kurinzo is offline   0
Old Nov 28, 2012, 04:55 PM   #171
bill-p
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
I accidentally left my rMBP on when I slid it into my bag the other day...

And as you can guess, the fan went full blast. The computer was piping hot inside. By the time I reached for the bag, it was 5 hours later. The CPU was reporting 110C.

So I left it alone for the fan to go full blast for 30 minutes, and then I started checking for various things.

No problem. EFI bug didn't occur. So obviously it wasn't triggered by temperature... Either that or I somehow got rid of it for good.
bill-p is offline   0
Old Nov 29, 2012, 03:25 AM   #172
beestigbeestje
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Belgium
Send a message via AIM to beestigbeestje
Maybe fixed

Been testing 10.8.3 for a couple of hours and performance seems to be a lot better.
Will be testing it more later today.

Borderlands 2 is playable at 1920x1200 settings on medium/high. (OSX)
Before it struggled with 1440x900 at low settings when it got hotter.

EDIT: it's not fixed in 10.8.3
Once the gpu get's up to temperature, performance drops again.
__________________
Santa Rosa Macbook pro 2.4Ghz 4gb RAM
Retina Macbook Pro 15 inch 2,6ghz 16gb ram
iPhone 4 - AppleTV 2 - iPad 2

Last edited by beestigbeestje; Nov 29, 2012 at 06:02 AM.
beestigbeestje is offline   0
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:36 AM   #173
kurinzo
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by beestigbeestje View Post
Been testing 10.8.3 for a couple of hours and performance seems to be a lot better.
Will be testing it more later today.

Borderlands 2 is playable at 1920x1200 settings on medium/high. (OSX)
Before it struggled with 1440x900 at low settings when it got hotter.

EDIT: it's not fixed in 10.8.3
Once the gpu get's up to temperature, performance drops again.
We need EFI/SMC update. Not OS update.
kurinzo is offline   0
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:25 AM   #174
beestigbeestje
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Belgium
Send a message via AIM to beestigbeestje
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurinzo View Post
We need EFI/SMC update. Not OS update.
Couldn't hurt to try it.
Anyway, stay away from the beta. It freezes the computer every now and then.
__________________
Santa Rosa Macbook pro 2.4Ghz 4gb RAM
Retina Macbook Pro 15 inch 2,6ghz 16gb ram
iPhone 4 - AppleTV 2 - iPad 2
beestigbeestje is offline   0
Old Dec 2, 2012, 04:05 AM   #175
kurinzo
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
still no updates from Apple.
kurinzo is offline   0

Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MacBook Pro Retina EFI reset rml911 MacBook Pro 4 Nov 29, 2013 09:46 AM
Macbook pro Retina EFI update (Nov 7, 2013) JorgeLomeli MacBook Pro 1 Nov 7, 2013 03:08 PM
MacBook pro retina overheating after.EFI UPDATE Persian-apple MacBook Pro 5 Aug 8, 2013 11:37 AM
My MacBook Pro Retina EFI simoniyopi MacBook Pro 42 Jun 29, 2013 03:19 AM
Apple Releases MacBook Pro Retina EFI Update 1.0 MacRumors Mac Blog Discussion 36 Sep 23, 2012 07:01 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:56 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC