Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kulimer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 30, 2011
Dear experts on MacRumors,

How do you transfer your pdf from iPad to Macbook? I have OS X Lion. The file is sitting right inside iBooks on my iPad.

I don't want to use sync, just for one file. Sync will take forever because it installs a copy of my apps first, then, updates the one I want.

I just want to drag the file to my desktop, but I can't. I am quite frustrated. Com'on now. I see it right there. help please!!!

kulimer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 30, 2011
Not sure what you mean by not using sync. You could transfer the doc using iTunes.http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/ipad_transfering_files_with_itunes

It doesn't work. I think that's an old interface. The new iTunes doesn't have an add button.

It gives you a mini view of what's on your "iPad desktop". You click sync, it snycs. But where is my pdf located at? Is there a folder?

SHOW ME THE FILE, Apple!! Sorry I sound a little frustrated, I don't understand Apple makes this so hard. I just want to drag out that pdf and be able to use it already.

What's wrong with dragging it out? I just don't like the sync button. Every time I have to make sure the stuff I want is checked and vice versa.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I know this isn't what you want to hear, but syncing might be the fastest way to get at that PDF. Next time, when you know you want to "drag" a PDF to your computer later, don't save it to iBooks. Get the GoodReader app, and save it there. From there, there are a number of ways to transfer the file to your computer without doing a full sync. But since the PDF is in iBooks, the only way to get it out is to do a sync (although perhaps a "transfer purchases" might work), or to email it to yourself. Once you sync, the file should end up in the Books folder in the iTunes Media folder, which I believe is inside the iTunes folder, provided you haven't changed the default location for the iTunes Media folder.

Reactions: 5bricker8

reputationZed

macrumors 65816
I thought that iBooks supported file transfer through the apps file share in iTunes. Apparently I was wrong. It looks like sync may be your only option with iBooks. Why Apple doesn't allow a more traditional access to the file system is a topic that's been done to death. Do a search if you interested, but your unlikely to find a satisfactory answer. Sorry I could not be more help, good luck with your PDF.

kulimer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 30, 2011
I know this isn't what you want to hear, but syncing might be the fastest way to get at that PDF. Next time, when you know you want to "drag" a PDF to your computer later, don't save it to iBooks. Get the GoodReader app, and save it there. From there, there are a number of ways to transfer the file to your computer without doing a full sync. But since the PDF is in iBooks, the only way to get it out is to do a sync (although perhaps a "transfer purchases" might work), or to email it to yourself. Once you sync, the file should end up in the Books folder in the iTunes Media folder, which I believe is inside the iTunes folder, provided you haven't changed the default location for the iTunes Media folder.

How do you sync, really? I did snyc. But still don't see the file.
iTunes Media folder has these folders:
-Automatically Add to iTunes
-Downloads
-iTunes U
-Mobile Applications
-Music
-Podcasts

None of them have pdf file. "Downloads" contains "Podcasts" folder, that's it!

At this point, I just want to get the pdf file onto my laptop already. I've spent 3 hours searching.

reputationZed

macrumors 65816
-Downloads
-iTunes U
-Mobile Applications
-Music
-Podcasts

At this point, I just want to get the pdf file onto my laptop already. I've spent 3 hours searching.
there should be an option to sync under the 'books' tab.

kulimer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 30, 2011
I thought that iBooks supported file transfer through the apps file share in iTunes. Apparently I was wrong. It looks like sync may be your only option with iBooks. Why Apple doesn't allow a more traditional access to the file system is a topic that's been done to death. Do a search if you interested, but your unlikely to find a satisfactory answer. Sorry I could not be more help, good luck with your PDF.

I just called Applecare, the lady said she *thinks* it's impossible. Well, we just had one solution above, so she's wrong. I don't know, I am a big Apple fan, but I hate how they have these "rules" and so stubborn about it.

If anything, enable the bluetooth, and let me transfer. What's the big deal there!

People in the Andriod world drag and bluetooth their files left and right. That's one thing I applaud about open source.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
-Downloads
-iTunes U
-Mobile Applications
-Music
-Podcasts

try right-clicking on your iPad icon in iTunes, and select "transfer purchases" from pop-up menu.

When there are books synced to your iTunes library, there's a Books folder among those other folders you listed. So for some reason, your PDF isn't syncing.

Just email it to yourself for now, and next time, use GoodReader.

kulimer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 30, 2011
there should be an option to sync under the 'books' tab.

It doesn't work. PDF from my iPad will not show up in 'books' tab, it only shows PDF on my laptop.

----------

try right-clicking on your iPad icon in iTunes, and select "transfer purchases" from pop-up menu.

When there are books synced to your iTunes library, there's a Books folder among those other folders you listed. So for some reason, your PDF isn't syncing.

Just email it to yourself for now, and next time, use GoodReader.

Wow, that worked, this is fantastic. Finally, thanks so much! I would never have came up idea with even if I played around for another hour.

I don't have WIFI on my laptop, even if I email, I can't receive it.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Wow, that worked, this is fantastic. Finally, thanks so much! I would never have came up idea with even if I played around for another hour.

I don't have WIFI on my laptop, even if I email, I can't receive it.

Glad that worked. And no WiFi on the laptop? No ethernet cable?

Anyway, if transfer purchases hadn't worked, then you could have emailed it to yourself, picked up the email on your iPad, then saved the PDF from the email into another app (like GoodReader) that does have the "save file to computer" function.

Reactions: Donfor39

kulimer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 30, 2011
I get a warning saying "iPad can only sync with one iTunes"!

What I am trying to do: Snyc Mac Desktop -----> iPad. Then, sync iPad ----> laptop (a MacBook).
The reason for that is long.

I suppose iPad really cling onto its one and only mate, but sometimes it's not so bad to have a one night stand with a MaBook.

----------

Glad that worked. And no WiFi on the laptop? No ethernet cable?

Anyway, if transfer purchases hadn't worked, then you could have emailed it to yourself, picked up the email on your iPad, then saved the PDF from the email into another app (like GoodReader) that does have the "save file to computer" function.

Yup, it worked well. I am also upset that how we (actually you), know more about the iPad than the Apple "genius". They really don't deserve the genius title until they prove it to me again.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Yup, it worked well. I am also upset that how we (actually you), know more about the iPad than the Apple "genius". They really don't deserve the genius title until they prove it to me again.

Come to think about it, it might be a system quirk that Apple isn't really aware of. I mean, their mindset is that an iPad syncs to one computer only, right? So if they knew that "transfer purchase" worked to get content off an iPad onto a computer it isn't synced to, they might actually consider that a bug. Hmmmm...

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Since it appears that your goal is to get a file from one OS X computer to another OS X computer - just spend $10 and get a cheap USB flash drive. A *LOT* easier than trying to use an iPad as a go-between.

Trahearne

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2014
An alternative way is to use Documents 5 by Readdle (free), and drag the files into the iTunes Files folder under the Documents tab. You will then see your files in the App section of your device page in iTunes.

Last edited:

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Since you don't use Internet or iCloud, you can try iTunes or FonePaw iOS Transfer to pdf to Mac.

Since it appears that your goal is to get a file from one OS X computer to another OS X computer - just spend $10 and get a cheap USB flash drive. A *LOT* easier than trying to use an iPad as a go-between.

An alternative way is to use Documents 5 by Readdle (free), and drag the files into the iTunes Files folder under the Documents tab. You will then see your files in the App section of your device page in iTunes.

This thread is several years old, plus the OP has been banned from this forum. I doubt they are hanging around reading your answers.

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
How does one find this thread, made five years ago with the last post from 2.5 years ago, and bump it with a reply? Lol.

Shehab0

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2017
Without iCloud, you need third party iOS Assistant tool which can move data from ipad to Mac directly. There are lots of chocies just google and have a try.

Last edited:

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
How does one find this thread, made five years ago with the last post from 2.5 years ago, and bump it with a reply? Lol.

The "search" option is usually the culprit in bringing these old threads back to life.

OR the "similar threads" you see below. Just look at the dates on these similar threads

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.