Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bad03xtreme

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 16, 2009
Northern, VA
Well I got my first ever smartphone and got an iPhone 5. I went to hook it up and sync it up to my iTunes account on my iMac G5 and BAM it tells me I need iTunes 10.7 and you need an intel Mac for that. So WTF am I supposed to do??

I have a MacBook Pro that I use from work that I could use to set up my iPhone, also all of my iTunes library is on an external HD so could I plug that into the MacBook and get the music onto the iPhone that way? :mad:

darkside flow

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2010
Toronto
Unfortunately no way to do this on a G5. Going to have to use a newer Mac or borrow someone's trusty Windows machine. :) Shame that a 10+ year PC can do this but a 6 year old Mac can't.

bad03xtreme

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 16, 2009
Northern, VA
Well ain't that some bull$@#+ I spend money on another Apple product because I am in the ecosystem only to be screwed for being a loyal customer...

MadGoat

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2007
Canada
Your computer is nearly 7 years old, running a RISC chip. You need to update to an intel based system, man. You can't expect your antiquated architecture to be supported indefinitely, can you?

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Your computer is nearly 7 years old, running a RISC chip. You need to update to an intel based system, man. You can't expect your antiquated architecture to be supported indefinitely, can you?

Have to agree, it is time to upgrade OP.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Well ain't that some bull$@#+ I spend money on another Apple product because I am in the ecosystem only to be screwed for being a loyal customer...
Not that I disagree, but the requirements for the iPhone 5 are/were clearly posted at Apple's website. The system requirements for iTunes 10.7 were/are clearly posted there as well. iTunes 10.7 was released two days before the iPhone was announced and when Apple announced the iPhone 5 it made clear that you needed iTunes 10.7 to sync with it.

I made my preorder purchase on the 14th of September knowing full well I could not sync with the phone. Both the PowerPC forums here and the iPhone forums at Apple had many discussions on this.

That said, there are alternatives. PhoneView will at least allow you to see and interact with the iPhone file system. Dropbox allows you to get photos back and forth as well. But to do a true sync you will need (as has been mentioned) an Intel Mac or a PC.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Not that I disagree, but the requirements for the iPhone 5 are/were clearly posted at Apple's website. The system requirements for iTunes 10.7 were/are clearly posted there as well. iTunes 10.7 was released two days before the iPhone was announced and when Apple announced the iPhone 5 it made clear that you needed iTunes 10.7 to sync with it.

Good point. The requirements were well known.

Nolander07

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2012
When I got my iphone 4 (first smartphone) a couple years ago I had the same problem with iTunes. I ended up buying a new Mac essentially so I could sync my new iphone. So my $200 phone actually cost me $2000. Oh well, it was worth it.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK

Far older Windows computers can run the latest version of iTunes.

It's a bit embarrassing that PCs made in the 90s can run iTunes on Windows, but something made by Apple in 2006 can't.

You do know that iPhones are now PC-free. Just use iCloud-based backup/syncing. Problem solved.

The OP clearly stated that they want to sync their music collection.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Far older Windows computers can run the latest version of iTunes.

It's a bit embarrassing that PCs made in the 90s can run iTunes on Windows, but something made by Apple in 2006 can't.

The OP clearly stated that they want to sync their music collection.

Exactly.
Its not that non-intell macs or older 6 year old macs cannot run the latest itunes or recognize the new iphone.
Its that Apple doesnt allow it for obvious reasons. $$$$$$
Its funny how my 15 year old windows XP computer installs the latest itunes and syncs and recognizes the iphone 5 fine but a newer mac doesnt.
Maybe in 3-4 years your now new mac wont get any more updates by apple so wont be able to recognize your then new iphone, ipad or ipod, apple tv and so on.
So in order to have the newer gadget and be able to use it you will have to keep buying new Apple computers.
Very shady IMO.

njean777

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2009
Exactly.
Its not that non-intell macs or older 6 year old macs cannot run the latest itunes or recognize the new iphone.
Its funny how my 15 year old windows XP computer installs the latest itunes and syncs and recognizes the iphone 5 fine but a newer mac doesnt.
Maybe in 3-4 years your now new mac wont get any more updates by apple so wont be able to recognize your then new iphone, ipad or ipod, apple tv and so on.
So in order to have the newer gadget and be able to use it you will have to keep buying new Apple computers.
Very shady IMO.

Or you could just bootcamp and have a windows install and never have to deal with this problem...

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
You'll have to tell itunes where the library is, but that's pretty easy. Just make sure you have your hd plugged in when syncing; otherwise, your phone might get wiped.

I have a MacBook Pro that I use from work that I could use to set up my iPhone, also all of my iTunes library is on an external HD so could I plug that into the MacBook and get the music onto the iPhone that way? :mad:

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
Exactly.
Very shady IMO.

It's the difference in chips. Apple aren't going to write software for anything other than intel chips. They make that very clear and have dropped all support for POWERPC with Lion.

I bet the 10+ year old PC wouldn't be usable while running iTunes with a library more than a few songs due to the RAM constraints.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Or you could just bootcamp and have a windows install and never have to deal with this problem...

Not going to work, apple introduced bootcamp after the intel macs hit the street. Since PowerPC Macs cannot run windows, there was no reason for apple to introduce bootcamp.

OP, I understand your frustration but seriously, a 10 year old computer cannot be expected to run and interface with the latest and greatest products. Its not pure greed but rather economics. The number of PPC based Macs are but a tiny percentage at this point and apple as long since dropped PPC from being supported in OSX.

I'd recommend a second hand Mac Mini or MBP if your budget is an issue, otherwise grab a new MBP, iMac or Mac Mini at this point

bad03xtreme

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 16, 2009
Northern, VA
So with an iMac G5 there is zero way to get my music onto my iPhone5? Apple doesn't see anything wrong with that? That pisses me off to no end, I understand the announced the specs but why am I not allowed to load music I purchased from their store on a product I bought from them onto another product I bought from them? Seems asinine.

hobsgrg

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2010
So with an iMac G5 there is zero way to get my music onto my iPhone5? Apple doesn't see anything wrong with that? That pisses me off to no end, I understand the announced the specs but why am I not allowed to load music I purchased from their store on a product I bought from them onto another product I bought from them? Seems asinine.

No way to sync directly no however you can use iTunes Match do it indirectly

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I am running 10.6.3 and it says I am up to date.
It says you are up to date because Software Update does not show you any updates your Mac cannot run. iTunes 10.7 cannot run on PowerPC Macs, hence Software Update does not show it. You are "up to date" with what your Mac is capable of running.

Your options are:
1. Intel Mac with iTunes 7
2. PC with iTunes 7
3. PhoneView (PowerPC)
4. Some other third party PowerPC app that can allow you to access the iPhone file system.

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011

Log in to the iTunes store on your iPhone, from there you can download the music you purchased from the store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.