Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
If an Android tablet doesn't have 128GB yet, you know Apple won't. With all the iCloud, Google Cloud/Drive, 128GB isn't happening right now.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
I'm not seeing a need on the iPad, but on the iPhone 128GB would be great. As it is, as the SGSIII can do 80 or 96GB depending on model (with Micro SD card added).

Comeagain?

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2011
Spokane, WA
I'm not seeing a need on the iPad, but on the iPhone 128GB would be great. As it is, as the SGSIII can do 80 or 96GB depending on model (with Micro SD card added).

iPad: movies, games, apps, media, all taking up large amounts of space, that you may not be able to rely on a data connection for.
iPhone: some games, social networking, email, with a relatively constant data source.

I'm not seeing the logic behind needed more space on a device that requires more data to drive all of the content on the much larger screen.

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
iCloud, Dropbox, SugarSync, ect...

are you using more than 60Gb? I just don't see the market asking for 128Gb

Available every where? No.
As fast as local storage? No.
Reliable speeds? No.
Free to use? No.

Cloud is crap and is only suitable as a backup option, we are far away from cloud becoming just as reliable and cheap as local storage. With wireless providers trying to nickel and dime their members we aren't going to be there any time soon.

You want to know what has happened between 2009, when 64gb was introduced and now? Retina doubled apps, iTunes went 256kbps audio and high definition video has flourished.

Yet we are still at capacities suited for small apps, 128kbps music and standard definition video.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
128gb across the board would be nice. The iPad, iPod touch, and iPhone have remained stuck at. 64gb and since 2009 for the iPod, 2010 for the iPad, and 2011 for the iPhone. It's time to bump things up. Cloud storage isn't an option for everyone. Most places I go have wifi and I still prefer local storage.

lianlua

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2008
128Gb NAND module. In other words, 16GB.
Notice the date on that? End of September 2012. It's an eMMC product just now launching in a 128GB capacity. It uses eight 64Gb NAND layers (8GB each) and wouldn't have been an option for any currently shipping product.
Again, gigabit, not gigabyte.
I think it may be harder to find some NAND manufacturer that is NOT making NAND greater than 32GB.
Not in a monolithic solution. The original poster is correct that there are no single modules larger than 32GB (256Gb) on the market now--I'm not even sure that there are any that aren't in fact 2x128Gb modules. Nearly all products above 16GB capacity are just sandwiches of smaller capacity modules.

We've really only had 128Gb modules for about a year. With the new 10nm processes, we should start to see capacities start increasing again. It's all cyclical. The focus has been on process reductions, performance and reliability improvements, and cost reduction. With cheaper products now pushing more volume, we'll go through another expansion cycle.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
Available every where? No.
As fast as local storage? No.
Reliable speeds? No.
Free to use? No.

Cloud is crap and is only suitable as a backup option, we are far away from cloud becoming just as reliable and cheap as local storage. With wireless providers trying to nickel and dime their members we aren't going to be there any time soon.

You want to know what has happened between 2009, when 64gb was introduced and now? Retina doubled apps, iTunes went 256kbps audio and high definition video has flourished.

Yet we are still at capacities suited for small apps, 128kbps music and standard definition video.

This this this! I'm amazed people are under the illusion that the cloud is so great. It is great for documents etc but it's the enemy of high bitrate music and video. I have true unlimited data here in the UK, its fast and I get great signal almost everywhere, but its useless in larger buildings, specifically the gym, for streaming. Same applies to public transport. I hear people respond with "wifi hotspots!" but they're universally **** for anything beyond basic browsing. Equally, having to rely on the off chance you're even near one is a ballache. But, given how much I hear people praise the cloud for everything, I assume the majority are happy with crappy 128kbps music and low bitrate video. Urgh. Local storage FTW.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
Streaming. I have lte and don't even fill 3-4 gb on a ipad anymore.

good for you. now try to stream content to your device when you're in the subway. yeah, good luck with that.

cloud is not the answer for everybody and it's way overrated because the majority of people have data caps. the other underestimated aspect of cloud is how you deliver content to the device and what that costs.

you either pay for the service, or host it online or from your home. hosting it online requires decent upload bandwidth for you to move the content to the cloud, same applies if you host it yourself. either way, you're paying for that bandwidth from your ISP or data plan.

cloud is about mobility and convenience. but the con is that you're ultimately paying for that in one way or another and in the long term, it is actually more economical from a dollars & cents POV to buy more storage upfront.

Last edited:

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2009
good for you. now try stream content to your device when you're in the subway. yeah, good luck with that.

it is actually more economical from a dollars & cents POV, to buy more storage upfront.

16 is fine unless you are on the subway for a significant percentage of your day, even then, books are small.

And storage makes no sense. So I have 64 gb on the ipad, great, I have 4tb of content, it's still a tiny fraction.

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
Wasn't there already an iPod with 128GB at some point? That was a few years ago if IIRC.

Just like someone else said, a lot has changed from a few years ago. How most now access their personally media content has changed from a few years ago. I own all 64gb devices and now don't come close to filling them. I do believe everyone's needs are different however the future is pretty clear everyone will pretty much access their stuff the same way,over the air.

Basically internal storage is getting smaller not larger

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
16 is fine unless you are on the subway for a significant percentage of your day, even then, books are small.

And storage makes no sense. So I have 64 gb on the ipad, great, I have 4tb of content, it's still a tiny fraction.

when people talk about cloud and streaming content, they generally mean video, audio, etc. content that takes up storage and which is usually only desired for a very short term. ebooks are generally downloaded once and kept on the device on a much longer basis. not really a valid comparative case usage.

one of the main points of why streaming is attractive for people is that the content is not kept on the device so they think they can go with smaller storage. the point that i'm emphasizing is that there can be a significant long-term cost associated with cloud.

try streaming a movie from your 4TB of content over a shared wifi connection at whatever hotel or inn you're staying at if you're on vacation. generally, it's gonna suck.

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2009
when people talk about cloud and streaming content, they generally mean video, audio, etc. content that takes up storage and which is usually only desired for a very short term. ebooks are generally downloaded once and kept on the device on a much longer basis. not really a valid comparative case usage.

one of the main points of why streaming is attractive for people is that the content is not kept on the device so they think they can go with smaller storage. the point that i'm emphasizing is that there can be a significant long-term cost associated with cloud.

try streaming a movie from your 4TB of content over a shared wifi connection at whatever hotel or inn you're staying at if you're on vacation. generally, it's gonna suck.

I have never had issues. Maybe it's the hotels you are staying at.

Point is that the idea of carrying content around with you is dying. Data isn't that expensive and I would much rather have the thousands of titles on Hulu and Netflix at my fingers rather than the handful of videos I thought to bring with me.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
Neither the infrastructure or cost structure is even close to matching the benefits of local storage. If you go to few, very specific places with excellent coverage, it might be approaching tolerable. If you travel a lot to a variety of places, pfft.

Disregarding cost, until I can watch the equivalent of a 42 minute, 1.5gb mkv flawlessly and everywhere, local storage absolutely trounces streaming. Again, some people are clearly satisfied with sd and/or low bitrates, and buffering, which is fine. Not me, distinctly retrograde and a waste of gorgeous displays we have on devices these days.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
Neither the infrastructure or cost structure is even close to matching the benefits of local storage. If you go to few, very specific places with excellent coverage, it might be approaching tolerable. If you travel a lot to a variety of places, pfft.

Disregarding cost, until I can watch the equivalent of a 42 minute, 1.5gb mkv flawlessly and everywhere, local storage absolutely trounces streaming. Again, some people are clearly satisfied with sd and/or low bitrates, and buffering, which is fine. Not me, distinctly retrograde and a waste of gorgeous displays we have on devices these days.

I stream my music at high quality and stream HD video.

And for movies, I rent them through iTunes, not sure where you are getting your MKV files from ;)

And if I'm going to work where I don't have a signal I think ahead and have my music and podcasts saved offline.

Anyway, it works for me and i'd happily buy an 8GB iPad.

reputationZed

macrumors 65816
Wasn't there already an iPod with 128GB at some point? That was a few years ago if IIRC.

IIRC the iPod Touch and the iPhone at the time (3G?) were very similar designs. Each had two 'internal slots', on the iPod both were used for memory, on the iPhone one was used for memory the other for the cellular chip.

Thinking about it a bit more it may have been 2x32 in the iPod for a total of 64, and one 32 in the iPhone, and not 128 vs 64.

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
I have never had issues. Maybe it's the hotels you are staying at.

Point is that the idea of carrying content around with you is dying. Data isn't that expensive and I would much rather have the thousands of titles on Hulu and Netflix at my fingers rather than the handful of videos I thought to bring with me.

Which is great... Until the company decides you can't watch <insert movie here>.

streaming gives power to these companies rather than the consumer, it allows them to manipulate what you can and cannot watch as well as prices and service availability.

Security is another issue, what if that important document you needed for work got deleted from the server because the company was hacked? You're SOL.

How about an access fee for when you are out of state? Like a ATM?

Point is, cloud as a primary storage solution is an absolutely terrible idea. Great for backups but I would definitely not want to live in a world where my data access is controlled by multi-million/billion dollar mega corporations.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
I stream my music at high quality and stream HD video.

And for movies, I rent them through iTunes, not sure where you are getting your MKV files from ;)

And if I'm going to work where I don't have a signal I think ahead and have my music and podcasts saved offline.

Anyway, it works for me and i'd happily buy an 8GB iPad.

Fair do's.

Most of my mkv's are blu ray rips and, inevitably, dubiously sourced stuff. I don't lose much sleep over it, I have Sky and Netflix too so ultimately I'm giving something back. Much rather pay a hefty monthly sub to a single provider and get access to everything, everywhere, day and date, but alas, that ain't happening any time soon.

I suppose where you use your devices dictates how useful streaming is. Myself, I'm a train driver, and I regularly find myself with long breaks in random places with okay signal and no wifi. Equally, I travel passenger a lot, where streaming is awful due to tunnels, embankments etc.

d0vr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2011
It's really annoying, if Apple were to change to a 32/64/128 line-up, I could potentially justify shelling out extra for a 64GB and maybe even an 128GB model, assuming the same pricing, because I would feel like I'm getting the right price for the space. But at the current price points, I just can't justify $100 for an extra 16GB of space.

Extra space is such a rip off as it stands now though, which is a shame. I'd love to carry my music with me in better quality.

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2009
Which is great... Until the company decides you can't watch <insert movie here>.

streaming gives power to these companies rather than the consumer, it allows them to manipulate what you can and cannot watch as well as prices and service availability.

Security is another issue, what if that important document you needed for work got deleted from the server because the company was hacked? You're SOL.

How about an access fee for when you are out of state? Like a ATM?

Point is, cloud as a primary storage solution is an absolutely terrible idea. Great for backups but I would definitely not want to live in a world where my data access is controlled by multi-million/billion dollar mega corporations.

Are you also afraid of the horseless carriage?

Media doesn't matter. Just watch what is there. Thousands of titles, just pick one.

No one is talking about documents here, but media.

hval

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2010
Where I work, and most of the places I go to there is no wifi and a really, bad to zero phone signal. That's just outside Glasgow, Scotland.

I have a 64GB iPad. I regularly run out of space. I have one movie and ten songs on my iPad. The cloud is a complete waste of time for me, unless I am at home, where I use it to back up the iPad.

A 128 GB iPad would be great for me. I use the iPad for work and for photography. I would actually like an iPad for even larger memory for more RAW images, but that's me.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
Yeah, the bottom line is the cloud doesn't go everywhere. At work, I have extremely slow and unreliable cell service, and many places I've traveled (including the airplanes used to get there) have little to no connectivity.

ziggo

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
Been waiting/hoping/praying for 128GB iPad/iPhone for awhile. I'm down to 4.5 GB of space on my iPad 32GB and 3.8GB on my 64GB iPhone 5.:( I'm a soldier who frequently travels to remote and obscure locations for training exercises (just got back from Fort Polk where my Sprint iPhone received zero service) so relying on the Cloud isn't an option for me.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Been waiting/hoping/praying for 128GB iPad/iPhone for awhile. I'm down to 4.5 GB of space on my iPad 32GB and 3.8GB on my 64GB iPhone 5.:( I'm a soldier who frequently travels to remote and obscure locations for training exercises (just got back from Fort Polk where my Sprint iPhone received zero service) so relying on the Cloud isn't an option for me.

DAMN..what do you have stored on that?

ziggo

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
DAMN..what do you have stored on that?

My music collection mostly (29.7 GB) plus videos and photos that I shoot while field training. I always make a little mini movie of my time out in the field training to show my family what we as soldiers do. The high definition videos really take up ALOT of space (16.2GB) plus lately my iPhone's turned into pretty much my sole gaming device and quality games usually top out at about 1GB each so there you have it:D

I'm planning on selling my iPad 3 and getting an iPad Mini and shooting my little films and such on that, so I'm DEFINITELY going with the 64GB version because I like to keep movies and tv shows on it. Also I suppose since its so portable ill use it more for games as well, I'm debating on whether or not to sell my 3DS along with my iPad 3 to basically just pay for the mini but there are still some quality games for the 3DS I know I'll want....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.