Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I currently have a 32GB iphone 5 and even though thats a big difference from my 16GB iphone 4S I have noticed I have quickly gone down to 13GB left. Which for somebody who has only downloaded one movie and I want to get plenty along with TV shows..so not sure wether to spend the big money on the 64 for the new ipad.

I will be playing alot of the big games like real racing 2, Infinity blade and even games like FIFA and NBA2k13...on my current ipad 2 16GB i can't even download the new update for infinity blade as it says i don't have enough storage which is annoying.

Not easy decison as paying £558 is alot of money as I also plan to buy the apple TV as well so won't be a cheap process. I'm guessing you will be able to play all the movies and TV shows on apple TV thats on my ipad right? is that done through mirroring?

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
Go for the 64, if there is any doubt.

I had the exact same dilemma last week, and had made up my mind that the 32 was enough, until I got to the store, then I made a snap decision to get the 64 since I knew that's the one I really wanted, even if I don't need all the space.

I have 40 gigs free, so it certainly is overkill (I'm not a gamer and only decided to put a few choice utility apps on there and all my music).

But the nice thing is that if I decide it's overkill when the next iPad comes out, I can downgrade to a 32 gig iPad 5 probably for virtually nothing once you consider the resale price of my current 64 gig vs the price of the next 32 gig, so either way I'm happy.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Go for the 64, if there is any doubt.

I had the exact same dilemma last week, and had made up my mind that the 32 was enough, until I got to the store, then I made a snap decision to get the 64 since I knew that's the one I really wanted, even if I don't need all the space.

I have 40 gigs free, so it certainly is overkill (I'm not a gamer and only decided to put a few choice utility apps on there and all my music).

But the nice thing is that if I decide it's overkill when the next iPad comes out, I can downgrade to a 32 gig iPad 5 probably for virtually nothing once you consider the resale price of my current 64 gig vs the price of the next 32 gig, so either way I'm happy.

Yeah It's not an easy decision as although I won't really have my music on the ipad 4 i will store mainly powered apps and TV shows...only thing I havn't decided is wether i should back-up from icloud or not..if I don't i won't have any music stored on it.

anybody suggest to start fresh on this new high powered ipad.

CandyNJ66

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2009
USA
If you can afford it without causing financial woes, I suggest the 64GB. If it will put you in a bind, I suggest the 32GB because that's still good amount of space. You can't play all those games at once.

Apple and other retailers have extended return policies too. Maybe get the 32GB now and exchange it for the 64GB in a month.

Best wishes with your final decision :)

ziggo

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
If there's any doubt then go with the 64. I've got a 32GB iPad 3 and am down to about 4.5GB of space left.:(

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
If there's any doubt then go with the 64. I've got a 32GB iPad 3 and am down to about 4.5GB of space left.:(

Yeah I've noticed with my 32GB iphone 5 that it goes down quickly without noticing. Suppose if I do want to buy movies and TV shows it might be the best option. More so with these games these days basically being 1GB each!

Ipadlover29

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2011
Since your a big gamer and your getting the ipad 4 with the retina display, quite a few games are 1 gig or more now. Especially the games you mentioned. The game sizes will get larger over time not by a lot but still. I would suggest getting the 64gb if you can. It comes out to 57.2 GB available for storage. Also the iPad's storage is not upgradable like other devices, so if you think your gonna use it for at least 2 years or so get the largest you can afford.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Since your a big gamer and your getting the ipad 4 with the retina display, quite a few games are 1 gig or more now. Especially the games you mentioned. The game sizes will get larger over time not by a lot but still. I would suggest getting the 64gb if you can. It comes out to 57.2 GB available for storage. Also the iPad's storage is not upgradable like other devices, so if you think your gonna use it for at least 2 years or so get the largest you can afford.

Yeah thanks

I plan on keeping this for a good 2 years. I won't upgrade my ipad like I do likely what I do with the iphone so the bigger the better I suppose. Like you said the way games are being made now to fit devices like this they will only get bigger.

My Iphone 5 is 32GB and always planned to have whatever on my ipad on my iphone 5 like TV shows and movies but saying that on the smaller screen I doubt I would watch films on it...but on the ipad I know I likely would considering i would get apple TV too.

Guess it depends what other games I would get as well.

dancj

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2012
I will be playing alot of the big games like real racing 2, Infinity blade and even games like FIFA and NBA2k13...on my current ipad 2 16GB i can't even download the new update for infinity blade as it says i don't have enough storage which is annoying.
If you're into those graphics heavy games then you really need 64gb (or more, but more isn't an option right now). I've got a 64gb iPad and I still needed to remove all of my music - and have to regularly cull my apps - because of all of the hefty games.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
If you're into those graphics heavy games then you really need 64gb (or more, but more isn't an option right now). I've got a 64gb iPad and I still needed to remove all of my music - and have to regularly cull my apps - because of all of the hefty games.

Guessing you don't have the same apps on your Iphone then? think there are certain apps that I shouldn't store on my iphone compared to the ipad.

Ipadlover29

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2011
Yeah thanks

I plan on keeping this for a good 2 years. I won't upgrade my ipad like I do likely what I do with the iphone so the bigger the better I suppose. Like you said the way games are being made now to fit devices like this they will only get bigger.

My Iphone 5 is 32GB and always planned to have whatever on my ipad on my iphone 5 like TV shows and movies but saying that on the smaller screen I doubt I would watch films on it...but on the ipad I know I likely would considering i would get apple TV too.

Guess it depends what other games I would get as well.

So far I have:

Nba 2k13 - 1.07gb
Infinity blade 2 - 1.03 gb
FIFA - 1.36 gb
Real racing - 1.1gb

Total = 4.56gb (let's say about 5gb)

If you get 32gb which is really around 29gb that leaves 24gb of left over storage. Or the 64gb which is 57gb leaves you 52gb left over.

Just depends if your gonna use at home mostly or outdoors. If you use it at home your probably not gonna put that much media on it.

If you get the 32gb the money you save from not getting the 64gb can be put towards the Apple TV.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
So far I have:

Nba 2k13 - 1.07gb
Infinity blade 2 - 1.03 gb
FIFA - 1.36 gb
Real racing - 1.1gb

Total = 4.56gb (let's say about 5gb)

If you get 32gb which is really around 29gb that leaves 24gb of left over storage. Or the 64gb which is 57gb leaves you 52gb left over.

Just depends if your gonna use at home mostly or outdoors. If you use it at home your probably not gonna put that much media on it.

If you get the 32gb the money you save from not getting the 64gb can be put towards the Apple TV.

Yeah true, those games are taxing. Big reason to download plenty of films will be so I can play them via apple TV...Would those films I download have to be played via airplay? or will it appear on the apple TV main system?

Ipadlover29

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2011
Yeah true, those games are taxing. Big reason to download plenty of films will be so I can play them via apple TV...Would those films I download have to be played via airplay? or will it appear on the apple TV main system?

The Apple TV 3 has very limited storage so everything is just streamed to it. If you bought movies and tv shows from iTunes than you can access them through the cloud. I'm not 100% sure this feature is available in the uk yet. If the videos are your own that you downloaded or converted then you would have to use airplay.

If you can get your hands on a Apple TV 2 I would get that. It's no longer made by apple. You can jailbreak it and unlock a lot more features and apps. Main app is xbmc which gives free content and ability to play media from network device. Apple TV 3 is not jailbreakable yet.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
The Apple TV 3 has very limited storage so everything is just streamed to it. If you bought movies and tv shows from iTunes than you can access them through the cloud. I'm not 100% sure this feature is available in the uk yet. If the videos are your own that you downloaded or converted then you would have to use airplay.

If you can get your hands on a Apple TV 2 I would get that. It's no longer made by apple. You can jailbreak it and unlock a lot more features and apps. Main app is xbmc which gives free content and ability to play media from network device. Apple TV 3 is not jailbreakable yet.

Another big reason why I want apple TV as we in the UK can also play NBA league pass on it...if I'm streaming films through airplay that will be ok as the quailty I'm guessing will still be very good.

WindowsTraitor

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2008
Just picked up a 32gb. I am doing the first sync as I type. I only have 3.67gb left. I am coming from a first gen iPad. To be cheap I got the 32gb. I kind of regret it now....

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Just picked up a 32gb. I am doing the first sync as I type. I only have 3.67gb left. I am coming from a first gen iPad. To be cheap I got the 32gb. I kind of regret it now....

It really is scary how quickly all that space which I think even though it will cost alot going for the 64 seems to make sense.

dancj

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2012
Guessing you don't have the same apps on your Iphone then? think there are certain apps that I shouldn't store on my iphone compared to the ipad.
Quite a few of the bigger flashier games I only have on my iPad because they benefit more from the larger screen. Especially if they're ones that don't sync via iCloud.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.