Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Old Nov 23, 2012, 04:43 PM   #1
sicknickel
macrumors newbie

Question Play iTunes Library on stereo via Touch

Hello,

What I'm trying to do is play my iTunes library (it's on my desktop computer) on my home stereo system, but control what's playing via my iPod touch.

From what I have figured out, I would use the Apple Airport to connect my home stereo system to iTunes. But then, can I control my iTunes (on the desktop) with the iPod touch? Or, would I need like iTunes match? I have a 16GB touch, but I have several apps and a few movies on it, only 4GB of space left and I have about 100GB of music....so storing all of my music on the touch, isn't really an option...it'd have to play via the computer.

How would I go about making this happen?

Thank you!
sicknickel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 06:01 PM   #2
coolguy4747
macrumors member

Apple has a Remote app that lets you control your iTunes from your iPod, iPhone, or iPad. It also works with Apple TV. I'm not sure if you can start Airplay on your computer from the app, but you can definitely control what's playing once you've started.
coolguy4747 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 06:44 PM   #3
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

It depends on how you're hooking the iPod up. You can enable Home Sharing and get all your songs via your iPod that way.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 09:08 PM   #4
sicknickel
macrumors newbie

Hmm. Ok. And, it would be via wifi. Is that what you mean by "hooked up"?
sicknickel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:48 PM   #5
burgundyyears
macrumors 6502

You want the Remote app. Just search app store for Remote.
burgundyyears is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 11:58 PM   #6
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicknickel View Post
Hmm. Ok. And, it would be via wifi. Is that what you mean by "hooked up"?
You'd have to tell us your exact setup. Is the computer going to be the audio source, or is the iPod Touch?

If you hook your computer up to your system, it'd be the iPod Touch acting as the remote, and yes, you'd use Apple's Remote app.

http://www.apple.com/apps/remote/

If you're hooking up your iPod Touch, the only thing you'd do is enable Home Sharing on the computer so it goes through wifi, and then the library would be on the Music app on your iPod after you enabled it in the settings there.

Understanding Home Sharing
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3819?v...S&locale=en_US
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:08 AM   #7
WSR
macrumors regular

You can select what speakers you want to use though either iTunes or in the Remote App. You just press the Airplay icon, the rectangle with the triangle at the bottom, and select either 1 set of speakers or multiple.

I quite often use this to pipe music through out my small house with my AV receiver hooked up to an Airport Express in the living room and a Airplay speaker in the bedroom. Note the Airport Extreme doesn't have the speaker port.
WSR is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:31 AM   #8
donlab
macrumors regular

the answer

to answer your question:

1. You will need an airport express as the wifi interface between your stereo and computer.
2. Your music lives on computer running itunes with home sharing enabled
3. Install the remote app on ipod
4. Enter pin code to allow access to itunes library from remote app
5. Pick a song to play from your library
6. Choose airport express as speaker output and now your music is playing over stereo.
donlab is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:32 PM   #9
trevolly
macrumors member

Why is everyone making this sound sooooo difficult??

Follow what the good fellow "donlab" above. Simple..
trevolly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2013, 08:01 PM   #10
Breesok
macrumors newbie

Is this the same???

I know this is an old thread, but I want to connect my old iphone 3 to my stereo and play my itunes via my computer. So the iphone would be the receiver... I think.... Does that make sense? I have an older airport express (the square one) but don't have a long enough ethernet cable to extend it to help the cause... Who am I kidding... I have no idea what I'm talking about. Could someone please help/guide me? Is this possible??
Breesok is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2013, 09:23 PM   #11
Flynnstone
macrumors 65816

old thread, but
connect the airport express to your stereo
use remote app on iphone
See the directions with donlab.

I have 2 airport expresses connected to 2 different stereos at my home. One has speakers outside & other in my living room.
Remote app is just another interface to your itunes on your computer. So computer streams music to expresses.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 12:23 PM   #12
Breesok
macrumors newbie

Thank you... I tried, but just learned that I need OS 5 to load the Remote app on my iphone and my old 3G doesn't go that high.... Sooo, if I just use the new airport extreme (that I was going to return because I thought I could use my old iphone) and connect it to my stereo, can that alone act as the receiver or transmitter? If so, does it mean that I could also stream music from my laptop to my stereo via the airport?
Breesok is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch