Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
in a New York State of mind
Update:

So, the night before Thanksgiving I was in my bedroom with my GF and we were watching a film. At about 8pm the doorbell rings and I go open the door. My GF stays in my bedroom and continues watching the film.

What movie were you watching? And why didn't your girlfriend pause it when you left the room?

My advice: Keep the bike, dump the girl.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I did tell them to come back with him. In fact, I told them that they could come in if they could get the missing roommate on the phone and took out my phone but they said his phones been disconnected for almost a month cause he could pay the bill. They weren't gonna come in either way.
It just sounds sketchy that after all this time suddenly these guys act all concerned.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
What movie were you watching? And why didn't your girlfriend pause it when you left the room?

When the doorbell rang I told her to stay in my room. The only people within the past 90 days that have rung the doorbell are usually friends of any of ours, usually from a nearby frat or the dorm rooms; depending on who is expecting company so I opened the door.

The altercation at the front door lasted for perhaps between 5-7 minutes before my GF could heard my voice getting louder and wanting to be in control of the situation so she came out of my bedroom and stood nearby inside where only I saw her. She whispered if everything was okay, to which I told her it was. It was then when one of the guys approached a bit closer to talk.. but naturally I believed he was eyeing the door and seeing if he could force his way in. Which is when I told him to "not break my balls tonight" and closed the door... and then the whole them knocking on the 2nd door...

..Shaun of the Dead.

----------

It just sounds sketchy that after all this time suddenly these guys act all concerned.

My opinion, I believe that the roommate sent his buddies over to verify his belongings are still there. I told them it was all here, but after they left I re-considered just telling them that everything was moved to a storage unit, just so they don't randomly come back... if these shady guys are friends of this guy, then that means they know this apartment... how to get in, and including the balcony entrances I mentioned earlier.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
I'm really surprised you haven't called the police yet, especially now that two guys drugged out of their minds try to barge into your apartment.

Anyhow, this might sound obvious, but have you tried looking through his stuff for some identifying information? Bills, letters, envelopes, etc., something that might have his home address on it? But again, this is information the school would have for sure, so I don't know why you haven't told them so the guy's parents can be contacted.

MotleyGrrl

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2010
Chicago, IL
If this is bothering you so much, why don't you google him or something? I'd hope you would know his first and last name is you were living with him- even if you only saw him once. If you know he only lives 20 mins away, maybe you could find/contact his family or something. Maybe he's on Facebook - there are so many ways to find people thanks to the internet.

Or like many others have said, call the police!

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Hey,

I'll answer this. We've done very little in attempting to realistically locate our "missing" ex-roommate. I've done the most in creating this thread and attempting to contact the leas holder in Africa and speaking with the landlord... and even that is very little..........

This isn't about his possessions or anything alike, considering even since this thread was created none of his items have been used.

Look. Three points occur.

The first is is matter of time, the currency of time. You have spent a considerable amount of time on MR discussing this. Some - a very tiny amount, a microscopic amount - of that same time could well have been expended in going to the college authorities and letting them know that this guy has apparently vanished. I am at a loss as to why you have not done this.

Secondly, the title of your thread - and the tone of your original post (and several subsequent posts) give the lie to your statement in this particular post "this isn't about his possessions...." when the whole thread, from title, to original post, to much of the subsequent discussion was about little else.

Thirdly, while still posting, you have done nothing to alert the relevant authorities to the situation. The vast majority of the posts in reply to your OP have suggested that you notify the authorities. If there is a word of truth (as opposed to creative dissimulation) in your update, then, you could well cover your sorry posterior when you finally visit the relevant authorities by saying that you hoped the guy would eventually turn up to reclaim his stuff (and perhaps pay his share of the overdue rent), but that now, with the visit of these disturbing sleazy dope-heads, you feel you may have cause to worry.

Again, I fail to see why - despite several incredibly detailed (and doubtless time-consuming) posts, you could not spend a portion of that time paying a visit to a college office, or a local police station to appraise them of what has happened.

Have you contact the police and filed a missing person report yet? If not you have done very little that would be consider reasonable.

This should push it even higher to contact the police.

I couldn't agree more.

As always, Moyank gets straight to the key issues worth discussing and exploring. ;)

samiwas

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I'm not sure many people in this thread read the entire OP...

Sounds like OP is trying really hard to justify taking someone's stuff without even a good faith effort to resolve the problem. Lots of good advice so far, which OP just dismisses while salivating over a bike.

He didn't contact the LAPD, and that is probably a failing. But I'm not sure he even knows the missing roommate's name.

So you signed a lease with a person that you know nothing about?

Have you never been through this process in college? I haven't but at least I know it. In college areas, it is very common for someone to sign a lease in a multi-room apartment directly with the landlord, and not know who the other roommates are. Hell, even when moving into a college dorm, you may have no idea who your roommate will be. I knew a guy in college who lived in a house with seven other guys. He didn't know them beforehand.

The OP also noted that he took a tour of the apartment with the landlord and never met the other roommate at the time.

The landlord is the one with the responsibility to deal with the stuff left behind, and is the only one with a right to the stuff. If there's an issue, take it up with him.

The OP stated on several occasions that he did try to contact not only the roommate, but the landlord, and the lease holder. As far as that side of the story goes, how much more can he do? If they don't even have contact info for him, then what?

Seriously, it's like people didn't read anything the OP wrote outside of "I really want his bike". You saw that and your nostrils flared up and everything else became irrelevant.

When these friends of his showed up asking to see his stuff you should have told them to leave and come back with the roommate.

Ummm...he said pretty much exactly that....

This is an interesting conundrum. If the landlord does nothing and the lease holder does nothing, how long should the other roommates put up with this guy's stuff being there? Especially if there is a fourth roommate taking his place. If the landlord and lease holder rented out to a fourth person, then they are accepting that the previous person is not coming back. Indeed, they SHOULD be dealing with his stuff, but they aren't.

So, if the landlord and lease holder are not taking any action, what SHOULD the roommates do? They should not have to pay for a storage unit for this other guy's stuff.

Also, OP...you shouldn't have paid his portion of the rent unless the agreement is for the full rent, and not rent-by-person.

If you want to push the landlord into taking some action, tell him that you're going to put the stuff in storage, and take the money spent on the storage unit off your rent until he takes it over or gets rid of it.

This is probably the best advice I have seen on this thread so far. If the landlord is not doing anything about it, make it monetarily inconvenient for him. That will surely shape him up real fast. The onus should not be on the other three to pay for this guy's belongings.

Look. Three points occur.

The first is is matter of time...that same time could well have been expended in going to the college authorities and letting them know that this guy has apparently vanished.

Secondly, the title of your thread - and the tone of your original post (and several subsequent posts) give the lie to your statement in this particular post "this isn't about his possessions...." when the whole thread, from title, to original post, to much of the subsequent discussion was about little else.

Thirdly, while still posting, you have done nothing to alert the relevant authorities to the situation.

Points one and three are the same. So only two points occur. :D

TPadden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
.....This is probably the best advice I have seen on this thread so far. If the landlord is not doing anything about it, make it monetarily inconvenient for him.....

This is among the worst advice I've seen on the this thread so far. This is a landlord-tenant legal problem and the best advice is for the tenant to read his lease and then seek legal advice from a California lawyer if he desires to take any action other than what is specified in his lease.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Sorry if I am skeptical of that post...
As most should be.
Hey,

I'll answer this. We've done very little in attempting to realistically locate our "missing" ex-roommate.

That's because you're probably not telling the story as it really has happened.

I've done the most in creating this thread and attempting to contact the leas holder in Africa and speaking with the landlord... and even that is very little.
Creating a thread is basically doing nothing.
This isn't about his possessions or anything alike,
yes it was/is. If this isn't about keeping his stuff then perhaps you have some post editing to do.

I'm really surprised you haven't called the police yet, especially now that two guys drugged out of their minds try to barge into your apartment.

Anyhow, this might sound obvious, but have you tried looking through his stuff for some identifying information? Bills, letters, envelopes, etc., something that might have his home address on it? But again, this is information the school would have for sure, so I don't know why you haven't told them so the guy's parents can be contacted.
I'm not surprised he hasn't called the police.
This is among the worst advice I've seen on the this thread so far. This is a landlord-tenant legal problem and the best advice is for the tenant to read his lease and then seek legal advice from a California lawyer if he desires to take any action other than what is specified in his lease.
I think this is the way to go for sure but the OP has been handed some really great free advice and he has taken none of it.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Dude, don't BS us. The title of this thread is "My Roommate Disappeared 2+ Months Ago! Can I Keep His Stuff?" not "My Roommate Disappeared 2+ Months Ago! OMG What Do I Do?"

Yep. I agree completely. Completely.

To the OP:

1) Stop wasting our time and your time; in the time you have wasted seeking permission to help yourself to your missing roommate's stuff, you could have actually done other things, such as.....

2).....contacting the authorities, college authorities or police. Why have you not done this to date?

3) And, yes, some editing may be in order. Of yours posts, and of the unattractive thread title......or maybe not. After all, the thread title really does say it all, doesn't it?

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Hey,

I'll answer this. We've done very little in attempting to realistically locate our "missing" ex-roommate. I've done the most in creating this thread and attempting to contact the leas holder in Africa and speaking with the landlord... and even that is very little. My roommates have done less; to them this isn't even an issue. He just left. Here we are almost three months later, now having been settled here and with a new roommate that'll have been here for a month, sleeping on this previous "missing" roommate's bed so as to not rid anything of his. In the past months it took almost 90 days for someone to come and ring the doorbell that even knew him, and it happens to be some drugged up kids. We told them to give us their number, but both of them said they didn't have phones. At the time this evening my primary concern was making sure they didn't come in, considering my GF was here.

When the old roommate moved in, who set this up? Did he sign a lease with the landlord? Did you guys just have an unofficial agreement? There are things like emergency contacts that would normally be taken by a landlord. You would also normally report this to a landlord, then the police if they don't do anything. Does the old roommate still have a key? It's not a great idea to ignore this.

Puevlo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2011
Just take his stuff. Obviously he doesn't want it back. If he comes by again just say his two friends took it. That way he'll think they are backstabbing him.

samiwas

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2006
Atlanta, GA

So then your only option if a guy has abandoned his stuff in an apartment for several months, and the landlord won't do anything about it, is to end up going to court over it?

I don't see why putting the stuff in storage would be illegal. The original tenant is no longer paying rent and hasn't for several months. Get his crap out of there...he's no longer a tenant.

And also, note that the advice said "tell the landlord that you are going to...". Why not? See what he says.

When the old roommate moved in, who set this up? Did he sign a lease with the landlord? Did you guys just have an unofficial agreement? There are things like emergency contacts that would normally be taken by a landlord. You would also normally report this to a landlord, then the police if they don't do anything.

The OP stated in his third post that the roommate in question had lived in the apartment for two years before he disappeared and in his second post that the owner of the unit had not been able to get in touch with him (and presumably did not have emergency contact info or didn't call it).

Sounds like a slum-lord situation to me.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
The OP stated in his third post that the roommate in question had lived in the apartment for two years before he disappeared and in his second post that the owner of the unit had not been able to get in touch with him (and presumably did not have emergency contact info or didn't call it).

Sounds like a slum-lord situation to me.

That isn't actually legal on the landlord's part. That kind of sublet may also not be legal in California. I haven't looked at the laws on it in a while. If no one is helpful, it would be appropriate to talk to the authorities on this one. I'm not sure how such a thing would be handled given the combination of abandonment through a sublet of questionable legality. I know the lack of appropriate information definitely isn't legal, but the OP really should contact authorities on this one, especially if random jerks are showing up at his place while claiming to lack contact information. The only thing he handled really well was not allowing random filth to enter his apartment.

Just take his stuff. Obviously he doesn't want it back. If he comes by again just say his two friends took it. That way he'll think they are backstabbing him.

Do you need to troll everything? That's not legal. You could do it, but it's still considered stealing. This would be regarded as tenant abandonment. Typically you'd exhaust all possible contacts first. Otherwise the landlord would hold it for however many days prior to turning it over to the authorities.

The landlord/super works for the building, but the apartment within the building i;m staying in is under a lease by a guy living in Africa, an alum from this school.

I just shot him an email explaining the situation. Before he's consent we do nothing. I also just called the guy thats been missing and his telephone is now shut off...

It's fully possible that this situation isn't even legal. You guys should at least be able to start the process of getting rid of the old roommate and his stuff. You really don't want him trying to move back in simply because he has a key.

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008
Has anyone contacted LAPD? Might be a good idea. IMHO

Excellent idea.

But... this really isn't the place to get legal advice, y'know.

Having said that:

• Also check with the school's registrar's office to see if they have a contact number for him, or for an emergency contact.
  • The guy might be sick in the hospital or something. Exhaust every last possibility for tracking him down before you do anything you might have to apologize for (or worse) down the road.

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL
I think the OP is looking for the green light to steal the guy's stuff. Barring that, I wonder why he hasn't contacted the police (either on campus or off campus) and informed them of a missing person. This whole story sounds either A) improbable, fake or incomplete; or B) sick for not contacting the authorities when it was clear there was a missing person.

And then two drugged out people try to barge into the apartment while OP's girlfriend is there to see if the missing person's stuff is there and you still don't contact the authorities. If this is a case of a missing person, OP and his roommates were *******s for this whole thing getting to this point. OP's missing roommate could be dead.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Don't pay the AWOL roommate's rent. That will get the landlord's attention.

That could still cause the landlord (not the guy in Africa) to terminate the lease if someone doesn't pay. I'm not going to dig up tenants' rights on the subject.

Excellent idea.

But... this really isn't the place to get legal advice, y'know.

I'm willing to quote civil codes regarding abandonment.

There's more to it given the weirdness and potential lack of a written agreement, but the steps are still basically the same. If he can't be reached, someone should have filed a missing person report, but the first contact would be the landlord, whether he wants to deal with it or not (legally he has no choice).

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Since this thread is going in circles, I'm closing it.

OP, you should file a missing persons report with the police, as has been stated many, many times.

Once you have done so, and have new, concrete information to share, you can report this post using the
report.gif
report post button below to request that it be reopened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.