Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CoMoMacUser

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2012
SL = XP. I loved XP and hated Vista so bad that I switched back to Mac after about 12 years of Windows.

I have SL running on my main machine, an iMac. I have ML on my 2012 MBA, and after several months of using ML, I don't see any reason to upgrade the iMac to ML. SL does what I need, and it doesn't have annoyances such as the loss of "Save As." iCloud is nice, but there are plenty of other, often free services that provide comparable capabilities.

I still have XP running on my 1996 Dell. Still works fine, although it's gotten slow. I still have Vista on my 2007 Gateway, which I rarely use.

Eithanius

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2005
who's still on SL? i'm thinking to go back to SL from ML...but..i like ML features.... it's like having 2 gf..which on should I take? SL that purrrr or ML..that just growl...?:)

I like ML toys like AirDrop, iMessage, and Notification Center... but my work is a priority on SL, so it's bye bye for AirDrop, praying that Adium incorporates iMessage, and I still have Growl for notifications minus Facebook integration....

Oh wait, Facebook integrations on ML didn't actually work as advertised... :rolleyes:

Screw FB then... :p

TobyI

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2012
Snow Leopard is a much more cooler animal than Mountain Lion, I am waiting till Black Panther or Ocelot to upgrade... :cool:

----------

Cheetah already existing? Nah, they'll never dare, it must be real real really fast.

----------

sorry cheetah seems to be one of the (weaker:() foundations...

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
I currently run both Snow Leopard on my mini, and Mountain Lion on my MBP.

every time i use the mini a few things irritate me:

- old version of safari - i like the new pinch zoom out to swipe tabs
- no full screen!
- no resize from any corner!

and i thought i'd never say this but...

- no launchpad - since i've been using mountain lion with a trackpad, i've gotten used to being able to 4 finger pinch from anywhere and type to start apps. no need to hit spotlight with the pointer, no need to leave full screen or wait for the menu bar to pop up, etc.

if you don't use a trackpad there's probably not so much to like in the newer versions, but with the trackpad, Lion onwards is nice.

Larry-K

macrumors 68000
Jun 28, 2011
Not alone at all

We have a studio full of Macs running Snow Leopard. I personally have a half a dozen machines running Snow Leopard.

We have some software that needs Rosetta, and we need it, so making our MacPros run more like iPhones is pointless.

I always wait til the last minute to switch operating systems because my machines work for a living.

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
Still on SL on my iMac as well. There are things on newer OS X versions that do appear nifty. However, I have XP installed on Bootcamp, and didn't want to risk losing XP on my Bootcamp partition if I upgraded to Lion or ML-- I have a version of Cakewalk SONAR that reportedly no longer works well in Vista or 7, so upgrading my Windows OS is cost prohibitive.

MacAndrew07

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2012
Porto, Portugal
I'm still on SL cause my Mac has an unsupported processor and it won't allow me to run the latest versions of OS X (Intel Core Duo), but SL runs great on this Mac even knowing it was made in 2007 ;)

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
Not so alone......

takes to me a year more or less to update from SL to Lion. And I am happy here and dont have plans to move. Having said this, still I oversees 3 more Macs, with SL, Leopard and Tiger, so figure out.....:D

:):apple:

MacAndrew07

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2012
Porto, Portugal
I'm still on SL cause my Mac has an unsupported processor and it won't allow me to run the latest versions of OS X (Intel Core Duo), but SL runs great on this Mac even knowing it was made in 2007 ;)

OLDCODGER

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2011
Lucky Country
My early 2009 Mini is still on SL, and will stay that way until it dies. After that, we'll see where Mac OS is, and decide upon both m/c and OS because I have no interest in IOS and the AppStore.

Hail Caesar

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2013
I know some people still using SL, I upgraded to ML, it just is superior in my opinion. The newer features like auto-save, mail, baked in notifications are great. To each their own though. :apple:

OLDCODGER

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2011
Lucky Country
I know some people still using SL, I upgraded to ML, it just is superior in my opinion. The newer features like auto-save, mail, baked in notifications are great. To each their own though. :apple:

Versions and auto-save are two of the reasons why I don't want it. Another reason is the lack of a physical copy - I want to be able to install any and all of my software without using my precious monthly quota allowance.

MacAndrew07

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2012
Porto, Portugal
White 2008 MacBook and Snow Leopard has well, I could upgraded it Lion and eventually I'll do it in the future when Apple cuts off SL support. But for now Snow Leopard seams to do the job and the fact that I use some PowerPC Apps on a daily basis keeps me from upgrading.

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
Snow Leopard was the best, but the world is moving on.
Remember the wisdom of Lazarus Long:

"Whenever the locals rub blue mud in their navels, I rub blue mud in mine just as solemnly."

and don't let yourself get left too far behind. Even auto-tuned vocals can become tolerable, with practice.

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
It's funny that this pops up again as I'm currently trying to shift over to my Mountain Lion partition from my Snow Leopard partition. I have some graphics software which has been updated that doesn't seem to run as well on SL any more, so that's the primary motivation.

Although there are some very cool things in ML --it just doesn't seem to be as warm, friendly & efficient as SL was for me right off the bat.

I've added a modification that returns color to the Finder sidebar icons so that helps, because I have really, honestly, hated the tiny grayed-out icons everywhere. There are a few other things that irritate similarly, hopefully I'll start adjusting and become as efficient as in Snow Leopard soon.

However, this whole thing with the reluctant move to Mountain Lion has me dreading Mavericks which seems even colder & more generic. I really anticipated Tiger, Leopard & SL so much more. --Perhaps if Apple backed off on the new-OS X-every-year approach and made the interval a little longer...

CoMoMacUser

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2012
it just doesn't seem to be as warm, friendly & efficient as SL was for me right off the bat.

Agreed. A prime example is the loss of "Save As." Yes, I know I can bring up that option by holding down the Option key, but what value did Apple think it was providing by adding that extra step?

Eithanius

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2005
Agreed. A prime example is the loss of "Save As." Yes, I know I can bring up that option by holding down the Option key, but what value did Apple think it was providing by adding that extra step?

Do you know that you can still bring back "Save As" on ML WITHOUT the Option key...?

http://osxdaily.com/2012/08/27/enable-save-as-os-x-mountain-lion/

Then again I still prefer SL's efficiency over anything post-SL. Well, I guess it's bye bye to the old Mac stable... :(

rctlr

macrumors 6502a
May 9, 2012
Im using SL on an older 2008 Mac Mini (which has only 1GB Ram), and it still works a treat. It's still my podcast maker (with Garage Band), my main itunes library and media player to a large monitor.
Some icloud functions work (email/calendar/notes), but as I've moved most of my day to day things to an iPad, Im not phased by it.
As iTunes Match and some iCloud functionality works on it, I'll only replace it when it gives up the ghost.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Snow Leopard came on my 2010 MBPro, and I'm still using it as my "main OS" on that computer. The internal drive is partitioned, and I have a copy of Mountain Lion on the second partition, but SL still runs fine, so I just keep using it...

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
I'm still in the process of shifting things over. Does anyone know how to set Spotlight Search to show paths by hovering the mouse over the list?

I use this feature in Snow Leopard A LOT. It takes longer to find the location of things after doing a Spotlight Search in Mountain Lion. Maybe I'm not doing it right, if so, I need to find out the new way. I've searched the internet and can't find anything for this.

Another thing, I turned off inertia scrolling. Still not perfect, but a little better. Isn't that supposed to turn off the freaky rubber banding with the Desktop and Safari too???? :confused:

I'm just minding my own business and barely touching the mouse and suddenly things like Desktops and Safari pages shoot back and forth. Irritating doesn't begin to describe it. :mad: (There, it just did it again...)

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
Do you know that you can still bring back "Save As" on ML WITHOUT the Option key...?

http://osxdaily.com/2012/08/27/enable-save-as-os-x-mountain-lion/

Then again I still prefer SL's efficiency over anything post-SL. Well, I guess it's bye bye to the old Mac stable... :(

Thank you for this tip --however, its important to note that this doesn't work as the original "Save As" in Snow Leopard & previous OS Xs, it's destructive to the original document. OS X Daily posted another article a month afterward with a work around:
http://osxdaily.com/2012/09/25/stop-save-as-from-changing-original-file-in-os-x-mountain-lion/

You have to untick a box "Save changes in the original document" to prevent changes. Apparently there is nothing you can set system-wide, you have to do this once to a file in each program to disable it for every file in that program onward.

To me, after learning all these quirks and the not totally satisfactory work-arounds, these are not acceptable changes for a new OS. Certainly not when it comes to messing up data files in such a casual way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.