Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Baggio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 18, 2012
Anyone having problems doing this? Mine drops to 4G then totally drops the data connection. I never had this problem on my 4S. I have always been able to use data while on a call.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Its designed to drop down to GSM 3G/4G when on call. LTE chip shuts off when on call but you should still be able to pull data.
I also heard AT&T throttled while on a call so you will only get about 1mbps while on the phone.

Baggio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 18, 2012
Its designed to drop down to GSM 3G/4G when on call. LTE chip shuts off when on call but you should still be able to pull data.
I also heard AT&T throttled while on a call so you will only get about 1mbps while on the phone.

It's dropping the 3G/4G connection about 20 seconds after the switch from LTE.

Baggio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 18, 2012
That's weird.
It shouldnt do that.
Try a reset network settings.
Also call up AT&T to see if they need to configure something on their end if the reset doesnt fix it.

Less than week ownership of this phone and I already need network reset. Lol!

----------

Network reset did not fix it. :rolleyes:

Baggio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 18, 2012
I used an nano adapter and put the the SIM in my old 4S and I was able to have a call and use cellular data at the same time. Either the hardware is bad on the 5 or it is a software issue handling the switching. I am on 6.0.1.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
I used an nano adapter and put the the SIM in my old 4S and I was able to have a call and use cellular data at the same time. Either the hardware is bad on the 5 or it is a software issue handling the switching. I am on 6.0.1.

I'd try a restore and setup as new.
Also I would give AT&T a call to make sure you're using the correct settings on their end in their system.

Baggio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 18, 2012
I'd try a restore and setup as new.
Also I would give AT&T a call to make sure you're using the correct settings on their end in their system.

This phone was setup as a new phone on Monday. I never restored from a backup when I got it 4 days ago.

I would assume the settings are correct. The SIM worked in the 4S without any issues.

Diseal3

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2008
This phone was setup as a new phone on Monday. I never restored from a backup when I got it 4 days ago.

I would assume the settings are correct. The SIM worked in the 4S without any issues.

4S also dosent have LTE. Call AT&T and they should be able to fix your settings.

Baggio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 18, 2012
4S also dosent have LTE. Call AT&T and they should be able to fix your settings.

Called AT&T and it seems to have been fixed. They had to send to advanced tech support. I guess LTE in my area is having some problems. He made me turn off my phone and he the "pushed" my number on the network. Not sure what that means, but it is now working. The guy said he would call me back to tomorrow to check to see if it is still working. :cool:

Baggio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 18, 2012
Told you to call them.
The 4S and i5 is not the same thing.
They need to adjust it on their end for the correct device on your line.

Why isn't this an automatic provisioning when the phone is activated? Even the advance tech said he didn't see anything wrong and basically said he was going to try "push" my number on the network to see if that made a difference.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Why isn't this an automatic provisioning when the phone is activated? Even the advance tech said he didn't see anything wrong and basically said he was going to try "push" my number on the network to see if that made a difference.

Because the iphone 5 needs its own special LTE data plan in order to receive and use every feature it was intended for.
So just activating the phone with a sim doesnt provision or change the data plan on your account.
They will need your new IMEI to do that on the carriers end.

Baggio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 18, 2012
Because the iphone 5 needs its own special LTE data plan in order to receive and use every feature it was intended for.
So just activating the phone with a sim doesnt provision or change the data plan on your account.
They will need your new IMEI to do that on the carriers end.

I had to give them the IMEI when I activated it on Monday because I used my upgrade eligibility from an iPad line. I had to call in to activate it on regular mobile number. Not the normal iTunes activation. They fixed it, so all is well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.