Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coldjeanzzz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
If I was rich and needed something to keep in the bathroom while on the ******* I'd probably buy it.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
This is the exact model I've got. I definitely recommend it- great deal! I got mine refurbed from Apple a few months back and I love it!

xxcysxx

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
damn, i almost pull the trigger. but something about the ram size just keep holding me back.

tbear1

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2007
How are the graphics on this model? Do the fans come on when there is a flash intensive website? I have an older white macbook that I would like to upgrade due to the old intel graphics chip (fans run on many websites).

Glenn

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
damn, i almost pull the trigger. but something about the ram size just keep holding me back.

I wish people would stop listening to the exaggerators -- it is really not an issue unless you are constantly on iMovie or iPhoto doing large projects. I use Safari with dozens of tabs, Mail is always running, and so is iTunes half of the time, iChat, FaceTime, iCal, PhotoBooth, Pages, all fine. Multiple desktops, perfectly fine. Transitions - smooth and fluid, no jitters like I experienced with my C2D MacBook Pro.

How are the graphics on this model? Do the fans come on when there is a flash intensive website? I have an older white macbook that I would like to upgrade due to the old intel graphics chip (fans run on many websites).

Glenn

I would say okay. The fans don't come on audibly at all while I surf the web. The only time my fans kick in are with games. I'm not a gamer, but I play Red Crucible 2 and the fans always kick into high gear and I have to play with the low quality graphic settings. I would not recommend this Mac for gamers.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
The fans don't come on audibly at all while I surf the web. The only time my fans kick in are with games. I'm not a gamer, but I play Red Crucible 2 and the fans always kick into high gear and I have to play with the low quality graphic settings. I would not recommend this Mac for gamers.

Agree with that. Normal surfing fan does come on but stay 2-4000 RPM. Fan only audible when it hits >6000.

sostoobad

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2011
Boston
Well I grabbed one, always wanted an 11" but didn't want to go 1k or more, so this is perfect, less money than their refurbs too.

gr997s

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2010
I bought one as well. It comes with Lion. Any reason NOT to upgrade to Mountain Lion....Thanks..GR

MathRulz

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2011
Atlanta
I was tempted on this but they charge tax to my state, so it would have been $749. Amazon has the 2012 MBA 11", 4gb, 128 for $993.99 for Black Friday. So I ponied up the extra $145 for the newer model with the greater capacity.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
I was tempted on this but they charge tax to my state, so it would have been $749. Amazon has the 2012 MBA 11", 4gb, 128 for $993.99 for Black Friday. So I ponied up the extra $145 for the newer model with the greater capacity.

Am pretty sure the last month of so Apple had a 2012 11" Refurb 4/128 for $929. Oh well.

----------

I bought one as well. It comes with Lion. Any reason NOT to upgrade to Mountain Lion....Thanks..GR

If u don't have a reason, I say stay with it. Sounds like Lion more stable and maybe slightly better on battery.

Moshe1010

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2010
Pretty bad deal considering the major improvement in the graphic card in the 2012 model and the fact that it comes with so little storage is a good reason for not buying it.

gr997s

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2010
Am pretty sure the last month of so Apple had a 2012 11" Refurb 4/128 for $929. Oh well.

----------

If u don't have a reason, I say stay with it. Sounds like Lion more stable and maybe slightly better on battery.

Thanks...

----------

Pretty bad deal considering the major improvement in the graphic card in the 2012 model and the fact that it comes with so little storage is a good reason for not buying it.

Being used on garage workbench..not a lot of need for fancy graphics for automotive manuals.....Gr

sostoobad

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2011
Boston

Depends on what you want it to do, I have had a 2011 13" air and a 2012 13" air, and they are great. But what I want it to do the 11" is going to be better for me. I won't use up the storage, most people won't either, so the extra doesn't mean anything...again to me. Battery life is the same. So for 699.00 New, I think is a good value, I see them SELLING on ebay for 7-750, used no warranty.

I think the real break in the 11" air is when battery life is significantly improved.

coachingguy

macrumors 6502a
Picked one of these up for the wife last Spring. It's a great little machine. She's one of those people who will only open one or two apps at a time, so she'll have Safari and Twitter open. For that the 2gig is fine.

She mostly surfs, emails, online gaming and creates quilting patterns with it. More than enough machine for her. She loves the size (so do I!) and portability.

I'd definitely consider getting one, but being more of a "power user" I'd get at least 4 gigs... As long as you can hook it up to a monitor, the screen size is fine. Great keyboard!

Coachingguy

sostoobad

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2011
Boston

You seem to be math guy BUT how did you come up with $145.00

My calculator shows 993.99-749.00= 244.99

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.