Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

realitystops

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 1, 2007
Very North
I am setting up my new 11" MBA and in working in MAIL I have noticed that even though the trackpad settings are identical to my MBP there is no Double Tap and drag - to highlight a number of emails to delete or move etc..

I can do it with a real click but am confused as to the 'tap' method not being available.

Any ideas??

Thanks

Sharkey

yOyOYoo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2005
CA
I am setting up my new 11" MBA and in working in MAIL I have noticed that even though the trackpad settings are identical to my MBP there is no Double Tap and drag - to highlight a number of emails to delete or move etc..

I can do it with a real click but am confused as to the 'tap' method not being available.

Any ideas??

Thanks

Sharkey

I am setting up my new 13" MBA and noticed I can no longer double tap to minimize a window. Is there some type of setting I missed?!

fanchee

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
Yes, it's a system preference. I'm not in front of my mac, but its a box that says something about minimizing windows in general or appearance system preferences.

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
System Preferences > Dock > Double-click a window's title bar to minimize

0YlSJ.png

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida

Any ideas??

Getting back to the original question, this seems to have disappeared sometime in the vaguely recent past, either with Lion or Mountain Lion. The replacement gesture is a three-finger tap-and-drag. It's a little different, but accomplishes the same thing.

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
Thanks!

Getting back to the original question, this seems to have disappeared sometime in the vaguely recent past, either with Lion or Mountain Lion. The replacement gesture is a three-finger tap-and-drag. It's a little different, but accomplishes the same thing.

Thanks for getting back to the original question, and thanks to the OP for bringing this up...I was setting up my wife's aunt's new MBA last week, and was showing her "how to click and drag," except I couldn't click and drag! When I went into the trackpad preferences (finally) I couldn't find it, but I guess this will work. I meant to post and ask this, but got side-tracked...

I'm supposing the old way wasn't cool enough? Not sure what was wrong with click and drag, I've been using it on my PowerBook's since about 1997...

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
I apologize for not helping with your original question... I thought the others were asking the same thing. >_>

gj.george

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2012
The option is still there in Mountain Lion. However, Apple, in its infinite wisdom, decided that this should no longer be in the Trackpad preferences but in the Accessibility preferences instead. Anyway, here's where you can find it now:

System preferences > Accessibility > Mouse & Trackpad > Trackpad Options > Enable dragging > with or without drag lock

realitystops

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 1, 2007
Very North
Wow, how did you know that?

The option is still there in Mountain Lion. However, Apple, in its infinite wisdom, decided that this should no longer be in the Trackpad preferences but in the Accessibility preferences instead. Anyway, here's where you can find it now:

System preferences > Accessibility > Mouse & Trackpad > Trackpad Options > Enable dragging > with or without drag lock

Quite amazing, that you found it there, I mean.

Very kind of you to help!

And thanks for the 'pock' from the moderator ;-)

gj.george

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2012
Quite amazing, that you found it there, I mean.

Very kind of you to help!

And thanks for the 'pock' from the moderator ;-)

I'm glad to be of help. After all, isn't this what this forum is for? That's where I learnt many of the things I know now, so it's only fair that I help others if (and when) I can.

I'd love to take all the credit for this, but it was actually someone else I learnt this from. It was around the time ML was released, and I was looking for this particular option myself. Unfortunately, I can't remember who it was, but I'm almost certain it was a forum post.

gj.george

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2012
Whats the difference between the "with drag lock" and "without drag lock" options?

I think the difference is that without the lock, if you lift your finger off the trackpad, the window you're dragging is also released, whereas with the lock you need to tap again to release it.

If I remember correctly, it worked this way in 10.8 (perhaps 10.8.1 too). In 10.8.2, however, it seems to be broken (or is it just my system?). A bug in 10.8.2 perhaps?

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I think the difference is that without the lock, if you lift your finger off the trackpad, the window you're dragging is also released, whereas with the lock you need to tap again to release it.

If I remember correctly, it worked this way in 10.8 (perhaps 10.8.1 too). In 10.8.2, however, it seems to be broken (or is it just my system?). A bug in 10.8.2 perhaps?

Thanks. That's what I figured, but it wasn't doing anything on my system either, so I thought maybe drag lock meant something else.

yOyOYoo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2005
CA
You guys are good!

I definitely did not find it user intuitive to find these options so buried in system preferences.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.