Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrbrycel

macrumors member
Original poster
May 18, 2010
How noticeable is the a difference between the two? I'm trying to decide whether or not its worth an upgrade. I'm mainly a desktop user, and edit video on a Mac Pro, but am looking to get an 11" MacBook Air as a portable device for doing necessary computer tasks I can't do on my iphone. I won't be doing any real editing on it, but I would like to put FCP on it for the rare occasion I want to quickly edit some 1080p h264 footage.

mactoday

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2006
Moscow, Russia
How noticeable is the a difference between the two? I'm trying to decide whether or not its worth an upgrade. I'm mainly a desktop user, and edit video on a Mac Pro, but am looking to get an 11" MacBook Air as a portable device for doing necessary computer tasks I can't do on my iphone. I won't be doing any real editing on it, but I would like to put FCP on it for the rare occasion I want to quickly edit some 1080p h264 footage.

LOL
You won't be able to quickly render anything in FCP on the MacBook Air 1.7 or 2Ghz because there is only 2 cores with HT. There is not such a big difference in speed between 1.7 and 2Ghz MacBook Air.

AppleAlfred

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2012
Canada

Hardly any difference, I've tried both and benchmark scores do vary but in my actual use I honestly wouldn't have known which is which.

mrbrycel

macrumors member
Original poster
May 18, 2010
Awesome, thanks for all the replies! What about RAM? 4GB of RAM seems like more than enough for what a MacBook Air would generally be used for, so it seems as if 8GB would be overkill, right?

ka-spot

Suspended
May 23, 2012
Sofia, Bulgaria
Awesome, thanks for all the replies! What about RAM? 4GB of RAM seems like more than enough for what a MacBook Air would generally be used for, so it seems as if 8GB would be overkill, right?

If You decide in near future to run virtual machine You'll be better with 8GB of RAM :) Just spend a $100 before You need the RAM or $1000+ after (for the new model) :)

AppleAlfred

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2012
Canada

I would absolutely recommend the RAM upgrade. Much better to spend the extra 10% or whatever it is to add not only additional performance now but to also give you peace of mind regarding the useful life of your purchase. For me it was a no brainer, even though I'll rarely use 8 GB in day to day use for the next year or so, who knows what future system requirements to be right?

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
the cpu isnt worth the update and i dont regret having the 1.8 ghz on my 13 inch. I do think the 8 gb ram upgrade for 100 usd is totally worth it. The few people i know that have gotten the 4 gb of ram on their air regretted it later.

Wokis

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2012
Stockholm, Sweden
LOL
You won't be able to quickly render anything in FCP on the MacBook Air 1.7 or 2Ghz because there is only 2 cores with HT. There is not such a big difference in speed between 1.7 and 2Ghz MacBook Air.

Two very good cores. Depends on what one's definition of quick is but it will probably have more than tolerable render speeds for basic editing in full hd.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.