Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
So Apple missed the opportunity to say "you can share any of your photos with only the people you want whether they are standing next to you or are thousands of miles away"

The NFC-sharing feature that Samsung touts is so useless to me. I can't imagine saying to somebody "hey, come over here so I can share some photos with you". Photo Stream is sooooo much easier. An whenever I add new photos to a stream then folks get update messages saying they have more photos waiting for them. It doesn't get much simpler than that.

incoherent1

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2007
These guys are insane.

Nokia had a commercial showing off the camera on their Lumia, except they used a different camera and doctored the ad. Well, they got a ton of flak for false advertising:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57507051-94/nokia-admits-it-simulated-lumia-camera-demonstration/

These people on here basically want Apple to falsely advertise the iPhone 5 camera because the photos look "yellow"?

Is this the bizarro world?

This just shows you how much noobs are here and that you can NEVER please everyone. Apple ADS just goes to the point which is always what your device can do for you and not some big comparison. I havent seen anY APPLE ADS bashing another company yet.

Not trying to start a flame war, but as a photographer who uses my 4S A LOT (in addition to two full frame DSLRs, so I know the difference), you can easily take & produce MUCH better photos with an iPhone than this. I don't think anyone here disputes the fact that there are many ads for the iPhone (including earlier generations) that have much better photos. Heck, I remember some much better photos from the Keynotes of the 4 and 4S that were taken with pre-release, prototype models, that were awesome.

And for what it's worth, I'm not bemoaning the death of the company like some on here would and do (I think the Orchestra ad is clever, although I'm not in love with it).

I also don't know why anything in this conversation warrants calling anyone on here a "noob". Can we just focus on having friendly conversations about the products we all enjoy?

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
They used a noise cancellation chip from a new company. And it sounds like a beta chip. It's hopeless compared to Nokia's HD calling and noise cancellation technology.
Calls from my Nokia to another Nokia sound so crisp, calls to an iPhone 5 have the HD calling but sound is fuzzy and the background noise is there.
Also Nokia manages to do it with 2 mics not three.

Yeah, Nokia is the pinnacle of telecommunications hardware...

----------

The quality is probably poorer than usual because these photos are in poorly lit areas. To be realistic for thanksgiving this is unavoidable. With the phones small lens, low light severely reduces quality, and I think this is why the quality is lacking in this video compared to previous apple camera demonstrations.

At least they're being honest.

I have a 4s and I have to say, in well lit areas, the camera on my iphone is very, very good.

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
Good ads, not great, but straight to the point about features that will sell iPhones.

shigzeo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2005
Japan
Not trying to start a flame war, but as a photographer who uses my 4S A LOT (in addition to two full frame DSLRs, so I know the difference), you can easily take & produce MUCH better photos with an iPhone than this. I don't think anyone here disputes the fact that there are many ads for the iPhone (including earlier generations) that have much better photos. Heck, I remember some much better photos from the Keynotes of the 4 and 4S that were taken with pre-release, prototype models, that were awesome.

And for what it's worth, I'm not bemoaning the death of the company like some on here would and do (I think the Orchestra ad is clever, although I'm not in love with it).

I also don't know why anything in this conversation warrants calling anyone on here a "noob". Can we just focus on having friendly conversations about the products we all enjoy?

I guess I just don't get it. If te photo came out with perfect white balance - something not possible without natural or professional lighting (you can only get jpeg from an iPhone anyway), the photos would scream studio, not family/friend gathering.

Btw, everyone is a photographer, regardless their equipment. And I think apple did a good job illustrating that fact.

CShort

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2011
Photos

With the photos. Apples adverts are clearly a demonstration and are not meant to be realistic at all, e.g. the orchestra so it's okay if the photos are fake (though the comments on photo quality are noted).

Nokia was bashed because they tried to do the same thing, but the keynote "teaser" video made it look like it was the actual phone and they didn't convey that it was a demonstration. So they rightly received a bashing. At the keynote it was more obvious that the videos were demonstrative and not shot with the phone but not everyone saw that (there also was one real video at the keynote and they made a point of that).

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
I agree with the comment about the photos; it was the first thing I thought as well. They all have that artificial light tint to them that us "amateurs" often experience. I would think for a commercial they would have used higher quality pics.
If they used a commercial photo that wasn't taken with the camera, they would've had to suffer embarrassment for using a simulated photo. I'd rather they stay with a realistic photo.
They could get a really nice looking photo if they used natural lighting, but most of these dinners don't really allow for it.

They could release 2 new ads for the iPhone on the week when everyone is off but they can't release iTunes 11.
:confused:
I won't begrudge apple's employees the chance to spend time with their families this week. If that means I have to wait a couple of weeks, so be it.

Last edited by a moderator:

kahkityoong

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
As usual, apple takes a novel implementation, and makes it look extremely archaic. They make photostream look like a simple facebook-type sharing feature, when it's really much more. This is why apple loses credibility and short-changes their innovative ideas. Stupid stupid stupid ad campaign. They would be worth a $trillion by now if they did a better job explaining why their implementations are better than the ones that have been out there for 4+ years.

Wrong.

kahkityoong

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
They all have which artificial light tint in their eyes that you "amateurs" often experience. I might think for a retail they could used top quality photographs. .

Why? Because everyone who shares their Thanksgiving dinner photos have them professionally taken and retouched? The yellow cast is from tungsten lighting which will occur whether it's an amateur or professional taking the shot when using auto colour balance. It's usually removed using software.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.