Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Nov 23, 2012, 09:07 PM   #51
mopppish
macrumors 6502

Wish it was $100 off full price.
My gf just had her brand new 5 stolen in Brazil.
I've been tying to figure out a way to justify buying her another one.
$100 cheaper plus a bit of insurance money (plus the cash I would fetch for selling my sister's 4) would have maaaaybe tipped me over.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 10:05 PM   #52
Eduardo1971
macrumors 65816

Ah just missed out.
It does appear that this was a limited time deal.

I was going to order a white 16gb iPhone 5.
The refurbished price is now $149.99.

Boo!
Eduardo1971 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 12:18 AM   #53
RealSkyDiver
macrumors 6502

It's $349 for a black 64GB for me. Anyone else having this price?
2011 MacBook Air 13" - 1.8 GHz i7, 4GB, 256 SSD, Carbon Skinned
RealSkyDiver is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 01:15 AM   #54
screensaver400
macrumors 6502a

Yep. Looks like the $99/$199/$299 prices were Black Friday only. Shame. I was going to buy one, but will now wait.
screensaver400 is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 03:02 AM   #55
iPunish901
macrumors 6502

what a sneaky deal....

i was ready to jump on this....
iPunish901 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 08:44 AM   #56
Gemütlichkeit
macrumors 65816

Sorry AT&T not going back to your service with your $85 lame plan. Cut that in half for low data users and you'll get my $ again.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 09:02 AM   #57
obamtl
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperGTS View Post
Betting these are the scratched up ones that people have been trading in lately.
Yes, and no. I understand that Apple swap out the cases of refurbished phones as standard, so it will likely be in pristine condition if it's an Apple condition, even if it was originally scratched before getting sent back.
obamtl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 09:22 AM   #58
Missmonie
macrumors newbie

I purchased this deal yesterday. The att rep on the phone said the phone goes through a thorough check and all outer casing and the screen is replaced so the phone is essentially brand new. I hope that's true! I've had several refurbished blackberrys from Verizon and they were always like new.
Missmonie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 11:01 AM   #59
aerok
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderhawks View Post
You can save that and even more by not using any phone!

Why not stop eating too?

Big expense!
Because not eating kills you?
Old Nov 24, 2012, 12:25 PM   #60
Justinf79
macrumors 6502

Wow, glad I bought mine when I did.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 02:40 PM   #61
WestonHarvey1
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackberryroid View Post
No matter how desperate I am for a product, I'll never get a refurbished one.
You must have a weird definition of desperate then.
WestonHarvey1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 03:35 PM   #62
charlituna
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medic311 View Post
are these Apple certified refurbs or are they Asurion refurbs? there is a HUGE difference...
They aren't likely Apple refurbs since those would go on their own store
charlituna is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 05:25 PM   #63
Bill.the.Cat
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post
They aren't likely Apple refurbs since those would go on their own store
Where in the Apple online store can you find phone refurbs?
Bill.the.Cat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 07:29 PM   #64
Thunderhawks
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerok View Post
Because not eating kills you?
Takes a while.

With enough water you could hold out until the ATT contract is over and as I wrote save a lot of money.

This in response to the poster complaining about a two year contract with ATT for a non-essential item.

BTW:
The longest person living without food was Irom Chanu Sharmila who didn't eat for 500 weeks.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 08:44 AM   #65
Blakjack
macrumors 65816

#Big
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:29 AM   #66
RedCroissant
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by FooMan2011 View Post
Here's what pisses me off. I just upgraded two line a week ago and paid $199 plus tax each, for two iP5. I'm always a day late and a dollar short. Or in my case, a week early and more money to blow....
Just call AT&T and ask if there's anything they can do considering you just bought it. Especially since it should still be within the return/exchange timeframe, maybe you could ask them that if they are at all resistant to providing any assistance.

The reason I am so optimistic about AT&T's customer service is because they have always been helpful to me. I call to find ways to save money, and they have always found a way to help me. Yes, I know they're really expensive, but for the most part, it's not too bad. I'm also in an area that has a faulty tower that likes to fail every couple months, so when I referenced past issues regarding inability to connect over 4G throughout the time I have owned my 4S, the rep simply credited me an amount for the entire time I've owned the phone. I was credited $250 for their inability to provide a service that I paid for, they reversed an accident made by a rep that change my data plan to the 3GB plan instead of the 300MB plan I requested, and the rep made sure that I was enrolled in their sponsorship program to receive discounts based on my being a college student. My next bill will only be $30, and the next bills after that will only be $130-ish; and that's for two iPhones.

Sorry for the long post, but calling them might accomplish more than you might expect.

----------

Quote:
I know people have already responded to this, but I actually get a lot of refurbished and used electronics that have given me no problems whatsoever.

I bought an AppleTV2, iMac 21.5", and an iPhone 3GS refurbished, and they have all been great. I even sold the ATV2(since it can be jailbroken) for more than I paid for it.

I also in August bought an iBook G4(1.33GHz, 1.5GB RAM) and an iMac G5 that were both refurbished by a reseller(not Apple) and they have been great.

You might be surprised how much a refurbished product will save you and how it performs just as well as a new product.

27" iMac, 3.2GHz i5, 16GB RAM, 3TB HDD; 32GB iPad 1 WiFi+3G; 30GB iPod Video 5G
RedCroissant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 02:40 PM   #67
olegandbuster25
macrumors 6502

Send a message via Skype™ to olegandbuster25
Wh
olegandbuster25 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 03:42 PM   #68
Daniel L
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopppish View Post
Wish it was $100 off full price.
My gf just had her brand new 5 stolen in Brazil.
I've been tying to figure out a way to justify buying her another one.
$100 cheaper plus a bit of insurance money (plus the cash I would fetch for selling my sister's 4) would have maaaaybe tipped me over.
The real deal was that it was $250 off full price with no contract commitment. $399 for a 16GB. Too bad it's not available anymore.
Daniel L is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 04:24 PM   #69
doodads
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsait19 View Post
Bought a refurb 4 for my wife, couple years ago... Like typical Apple refurbs, it came in perfect condition. Kinda bummed we already bought 5's, because I'd have no problem doing this again.
These aren't Apple refurbs, they are AT&T refurbs.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF_productions View Post
What's the warranty on this?
When I bought a refurbised iPhone 4 from AT&T, the Apple warranty applied based on the original purchase date of the phone. If you give Apple your serial number, they can tell you when the original owner bought it and how much warranty is left. For these refurbs at this point, the end of the warranty is likely to be next June or July.
doodads is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 06:31 PM   #70
screensaver400
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodads View Post
For these refurbs at this point, the end of the warranty is likely to be next June or July.
iPhone 5 only went on sale September 21, 2012. Since a one-year warranty is standard, the earliest warranty end date is one year from that date.
screensaver400 is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 08:07 PM   #71
Jeremy1026
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderhawks View Post
The longest person living without food was Irom Chanu Sharmila who didn't eat for 500 weeks.
Next time you decide to use Wikipedia as a source, you should check their sources for more details. Specifically the article posted by 'The Independent', which states, "Sharmila, who is force-fed a mixture of liquified carbohydrates and proteins by a nasal tube three times a day."

Please allow me to explain that being on a hunger strike, and not taking in nutrients are two very different things. On average, a human will live between 30 and 60 days without taking in nutrients.

Having a carbohydrate and protein based paste fed to you through a feeding tube would cost money, and negate your "don't eat to save money" view point.

TL;DR Version - You are wrong, and your point is invalid.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:16 AM   #72
mscriv
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodads View Post
When I bought a refurbised iPhone 4 from AT&T, the Apple warranty applied based on the original purchase date of the phone. If you give Apple your serial number, they can tell you when the original owner bought it and how much warranty is left.
Just thought I would echo this. My wife and I bought refurb iPhone 4's through At&t almost two years ago and this was the case for us. We plugged in the serial numbers at Apple's website and found out when each phone's warranty expired. We could have purchased Applecare to extend the warranty, but chose not to do so. Our refurbs have been great and were cosmetically excellent. The plan is that sometime soon we will buy iPhone 5 refurbs to upgrade.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 07:04 AM   #73
Edgecrusherr
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealSkyDiver View Post
It's $349 for a black 64GB for me. Anyone else having this price?
Yep, says $349 for me too.

Ironically I JUST bought the 64GB iPhone 5 last night at Best Buy for the $399. Although, I got $30 off in Best Buy rewards, so my total after tax was a hair under $399. For $299 ($100 difference) I was kicking myself for not seeing this article yesterday, but for $50 difference, I'd rather have new. $100=kick-self, $50=rather have new lol
Edgecrusherr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 07:29 AM   #74
Thunderhawks
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy1026 View Post
Next time you decide to use Wikipedia as a source, you should check their sources for more details. Specifically the article posted by 'The Independent', which states, "Sharmila, who is force-fed a mixture of liquified carbohydrates and proteins by a nasal tube three times a day."

Please allow me to explain that being on a hunger strike, and not taking in nutrients are two very different things. On average, a human will live between 30 and 60 days without taking in nutrients.

Having a carbohydrate and protein based paste fed to you through a feeding tube would cost money, and negate your "don't eat to save money" view point.

TL;DR Version - You are wrong, and your point is invalid.
It is not my viewpoint "don't eat to save money", it was an over the top remark taken to the extreme about saving money.

Having an iphone is not an essential part of being able to live (although some make it seem so), but that poster makes it sound as if it is by complaining about the contract fee.

So, if his/her point is to save money, why not use every possible way?

The fact that you eventually die if you don't eat is obvious.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 07:43 AM   #75
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
That's just silly. Do you know what refurbished iPads and iPhones are these days? They were sold with either a minor defect or no defect at all but returned by people who either ordered one and found one in store, decided there was some issue with theirs that was probably a non-issue, or there was a true issue. Apple fixes everything and they go through a better level of QC than your new device.

If I were looking to switch I'd get this in a heartbeat.
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion