Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPad Apps

Old Nov 23, 2012, 09:06 PM   #1
Namtaro
macrumors regular

Media Streaming

Is there any way for my iPad Mini to steam videos off my local network?
I also have a UPNP media server (PS3 Media Server) for my PS3... any way to connect to that?

So far I'm loving my Mini. Everything's better than my Nexus 7 except for the ppi which doesn't affect my eyes while reading ebooks and missing streaming videos to it.
Namtaro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 09:17 PM   #2
rgarjr
macrumors 603

Yep, there's apps that allow u to play videos off SMB, or AFP shares.
rgarjr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 09:24 PM   #3
Namtaro
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgarjr View Post
Yep, there's apps that allow u to play videos off SMB, or AFP shares.
Well, you mind telling me those apps?
Old Nov 23, 2012, 09:42 PM   #4
rgarjr
macrumors 603

The ones I've tried are BuzzPlayer, Goodplayer, OPlayer.
rgarjr is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 10:19 PM   #5
Namtaro
macrumors regular

Tried Oplayer (lite) and I can watch the video, but no sound plays... I was afraid of that since some of my files are in MKV format.

Not wanting to try the other versions since they don't have a lite version to test out first, are there any apps to connect to a UPNP server since my computer will do the encoding or whatever?
Old Nov 23, 2012, 11:08 PM   #6
dazz87
macrumors regular

Plex is your answer. It will let you streaming local and also when you are outside your network. I stream all my files from work
dazz87 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 02:20 AM   #7
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namtaro View Post
Is there any way for my iPad Mini to steam videos off my local network?
I also have a UPNP media server (PS3 Media Server) for my PS3... any way to connect to that?

So far I'm loving my Mini. Everything's better than my Nexus 7 except for the ppi which doesn't affect my eyes while reading ebooks and missing streaming videos to it.
Tons of them. If you need a full list, check out http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=16318895 , starting with #39, particularly #41 . Or, alternatively, wait for my full "LAN Streaming bible", which will very soon be published.
Menneisyys2 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 01:56 PM   #8
Namtaro
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menneisyys2 View Post
Tons of them. If you need a full list, check out http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=16318895 , starting with #39, particularly #41 . Or, alternatively, wait for my full "LAN Streaming bible", which will very soon be published.
Thanks a lot! I'll be on the lookout for your 'bible'.

Bought both It's Playing and GoodPlayer. It's Playing seems to be doing a better job, but doesn't see my Media Server so just got GoodPlayer as well just incase.

Now I have no regrets at all switching over from the Nexus 7!
Old Nov 24, 2012, 03:51 PM   #9
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namtaro View Post
Tried Oplayer (lite) and I can watch the video, but no sound plays... I was afraid of that since some of my files are in MKV format.
Unfortunately, as DVD's and Blu-ray discs use AC-3 (or other Dolby formats) a lot, many MKV's are pretty much unplayable.

Should you want to play them w/o dynamically transcoding (via, for example, the above-mentioned "Plex"), your other choice is just quickly reencode the audio track to AAC, preferably by adding the new AAC track so that you don't lose AC-3. A decent tool for doing so is MKVTool. See my just-posted tutorial at http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=16357138
Menneisyys2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPad Apps