Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sdahe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
San Juan, PR
I went to one of my clients last week and this is what happened... He gave me a usb drive with the info for the job and I couldn't take it with me. The iPad doesn't have a USB port. My client had a Galaxy tablet and showed me how easy it was with it. I looked my iPad and said... This isn't working for me.. What a shame. Is there something I can attach to the iPad that would read info from a USB drive?

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
That is not possible to do on an iPad both because of the inability of iOS to move files around and also because iOS has no support for USB drives. With Android devices, you just use a $2 MHL USB adapter that plugs into the micro usb port of the tablet or phone to which you can directly plug in usb drives and manipulate the files using the native Android file manager.

Maso1

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2012
Sharing links to online storage can be emailed instead. Heh. Easier to reproduce and distribute than physical sticks.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
Sharing links to online storage can be emailed instead. Heh. Easier to reproduce and distribute than physical sticks.

That would be a pretty unprofessional thing to do, not to mention the major security risks of doing that, as well as it would probably be illegal and against company policy to put data out there on uncontrolled servers.

Maso1

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2012
That would be a pretty unprofessional thing to do, not to mention the major security risks of doing that, as well as it would probably be illegal and against company policy to put data out there on uncontrolled servers.

Corporate practices aside, links to storage can clearly be encrypted, so security is not necessarily a worry so to speak.

Awakener

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2011
Why not just use NFC? Oh wait, we don't have that yet either.:p
Apple really does need to get over milking us for memory and give us a memory slot.

ZZ Bottom

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
OP, it can be done if you jailbreak and purchase the app called "iFile" off the Cydia store. I have done this before. It does require a moderate knowledge of Linux/unix file system hierarchy, since it is basically exposing the file system in iOS, which isn't as tidy and user friendly as Mac OS. After you figure out where the USB thumb drives mount, you can then copy a file or files and paste it wherever, including within a sandboxed app if you know how to navigate to it.

Man I can't wait until the A6X has a jailbreak ready for it.

Awakener

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2011
OP, it can be done if you jailbreak and purchase the app called "iFile" off the Cydia store. I have done this before. It does require a moderate knowledge of Linux/unix file system hierarchy, since it is basically exposing the file system in iOS, which isn't as tidy and user friendly as Mac OS. After you figure out where the USB thumb drives mount, you can then copy a file or files and paste it wherever, including within a sandboxed app if you know how to navigate to it.

Man I can't wait until the A6X has a jailbreak ready for it.

Kind of an extreme method for most users.

It may be years before we see a file system or memory slot because computer sales would drop like a rock.

mnilan

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2010
The Hyperdrive connects via the USB camera connector kit and apparently shows up as a HD on the iPad.

http://www.hypershop.com/HyperDrive-iPad-Hard-Drive-s/183.htm

The Seagate satellite connects wirelessly. Is also a USB 3 drive. Not sure what media is supported.

http://www.seagate.com/external-hard-drives/portable-hard-drives/wireless/seagate-satellite/

Anybody tried these out? I'm wondering if they are fast enough to use for iTunes music files streaming onto the iPad...
Mike

beauparc

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2011
Anglesey
Why not just copy to an SD card and use that, in the Apple adaptor, to put the file on the iPad? I use it all the time.

EDH667

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2009
Northern California
Anybody tried these out? I'm wondering if they are fast enough to use for iTunes music files streaming onto the iPad...
Mike

I have used both the Seagate Satellite and the Kingston Wi-Drive. Both work well for streaming files onto the iPad. I currently use the Kingston Wi-Drive and can transfer files to and from the iPad.

Best Buy has the Seagate Satellite on sale today for 1/2 off at $99.00.

ctyrider

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2012
Why not just copy to an SD card and use that, in the Apple adaptor, to put the file on the iPad? I use it all the time.

iPad Camera kit only lets you transfer photos or movies into Camera Roll. I assume the OP is not dealing with movies in the professional environment. SD or USB stick doesn't matter, the iOS behaves exact same way.

I have used both the Seagate Satellite and the Kingston Wi-Drive. Both work well for streaming files onto the iPad.

And that helps the OP how? He wants to be able to take a USB stick and import the files into iPad.

@OP - there is really no solution for what you're trying to do.. Stock iOS does not support generic file import off USB media. The only solution is Jailbreakiing your iPad and using iFile with Camera kit.

EDH667

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2009
Northern California
And that helps the OP how? He wants to be able to take a USB stick and import the files into iPad.

@OP - there is really no solution for what you're trying to do.. Stock iOS does not support generic file import off USB media. The only solution is Jailbreakiing your iPad and using iFile with Camera kit.

The OP could give the Kingston Wi-Drive to his client to attach to the client's computer via USB to transfer the file he needs. He is then able to transfer the file from the Wi-Drive into the appropriate program he wishes to use on the iPad. I just did this example with a Pages document and transferred it into the iPad. Just as quick as using a USB or SD Card via the Camera Connection kit on a Jailbroken iPad. So, I believe this is a very viable solution without having to Jailbreak the iPad.

ctyrider

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2012
The OP could give the Kingston Wi-Drive to his client to attach to the client's computer via USB to transfer the file he needs. He is then able to transfer the file from the Wi-Drive into the appropriate program he wishes to use on the iPad. I just did this example with a Pages document and transferred it into the iPad. Just as quick as using a USB or SD Card via the Camera Connection kit on a Jailbroken iPad. So, I believe this is a very viable solution without having to Jailbreak the iPad.

What you describe is doable.. but IMO it would be be easier (and a lot cheaper) to just carry your own USB stick to give to people to copy files to.. And then transfer the files onto iPad via a computer later on.

These Wi-Drives are pricey (especially compared to generic USB stick), and it's another gadget to carry around with you, keep charged, etc.

ForceGhost

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2012
Bournemouth, UK
Surely in a professional environment you would have invested in a another form of PC? (Or Mac ;))

Just do it via a different device. The iPad wasn't build as a main computer and should not be treated as one.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Um, can we go back to the question first. I don't think it's an easy task for your iPad to open 1GB+ files without crashing it completely.

In this case it's clear that a tablet is not what you need. Even an Android tablet that allows you to plug in a USB drive won't be able to open those big files. Just use a PC or a Mac.

Case closed :D

ash211

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2012
What you describe is doable.. but IMO it would be be easier (and a lot cheaper) to just carry your own USB stick to give to people to copy files to.. And then transfer the files onto iPad via a computer later on.

These Wi-Drives are pricey (especially compared to generic USB stick), and it's another gadget to carry around with you, keep charged, etc.

You can get a 32gb Wi-Drive for about $45...not bad at all considering Apple charges you a $100 to go from 16gb to 32 gb.

Also the Wi-Drive is very small and thin. I'd like to see an ipad cover with a pocket to hold the Wi-Drive in!

ctyrider

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2012

Again.. "HyperDrive" works with iPad Camera kit. Anything that uses Camera kit is limited to photo/video files. That doesn't solve the original problem.

The second "iUSBport" gadget is basically the same thing as Kingston Wi-Drive, except it requires external storage. It's an OK solution, but personally I am not a fan of carrying multiple gadgets to accomplish simple tasks.. If I am in a situation that requires dealing with USB sticks, files, etc - a laptop is a better solution than iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.