Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ser968

macrumors member
Original poster
May 18, 2008
OK - I'm thick. I've searched and read posts, but I still can't get subtitles to work on my ATV3.

I am ripping my DVDs (not blue ray) into my itunes library using Handbrake. I am using the Universal preset (to keep sizes lower). I want to be able to toggle the english subtitles on and off on apple tv. I am trying to rip 'normal' movies - ones that don't have foreign languages.

My question is - when I go to the subtitles tab, what options do I choose?

Thanks in advance!

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
OK - I'm thick. I've searched and read posts, but I still can't get subtitles to work on my ATV3.

I am ripping my DVDs (not blue ray) into my itunes library using Handbrake. I am using the Universal preset (to keep sizes lower). I want to be able to toggle the english subtitles on and off on apple tv. I am trying to rip 'normal' movies - ones that don't have foreign languages.

My question is - when I go to the subtitles tab, what options do I choose?

Thanks in advance!

None of them as you'll need to OCR the subs first - the AppleTV can't render native DVD VobSub subtitles and HandBrake doesn't OCR them either. You might want to read the posts #22 and #23 at https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1469630/ . They are a bit lengthy but contain ALL info one will ever need to know about OCR'ing subs.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
None of them as you'll need to OCR the subs first - the AppleTV can't render native DVD VobSub subtitles and HandBrake doesn't OCR them either. You might want to read the posts #22 and #23 at https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1469630/ . They are a bit lengthy but contain ALL info one will ever need to know about OCR'ing subs.
Menneisyys2, quickly looked over your "bible". As always, impeccable work on your part. But I just want to add the easiest route to soft subs is to download them as opposed to OCR them. In my quick scan of your bible I didn't see downloaded subs mention. Feel free to correct me if I overlooked something. IMHO, OCRing of subs should be done only if downloaded subs are unavailable, unacceptable quality or you are just so anal that you feel you have to do it that way. :)

ser968

macrumors member
Original poster
May 18, 2008
woo-hoo! Thanks Menneisyys2 - that worked like a charm (and it was quick and easy!). My last question - for the dvd i tested, I chose the foreign audio search in handbrake with forced and burned checked. is that the subtitle track i should add or is it better to add the English vobsub track instead?

Many many thanks!!!

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Menneisyys2, quickly looked over your "bible". As always, impeccable work on your part. But I just want to add the easiest route to soft subs is to download them as opposed to OCR them. In my quick scan of your bible I didn't see downloaded subs mention. Feel free to correct me if I overlooked something. IMHO, OCRing of subs should be done only if downloaded subs are unavailable, unacceptable quality or you are just so anal that you feel you have to do it that way. :)

Yup, searching for and downloading pre-OCR'ed subs is the first one should do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.