Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Nov 23, 2012, 12:16 PM   #1
c2c4c
macrumors newbie

Apple-Enabled Whole Home Audio System?

At it's fundamental level, my goal is to have the ability to stream two separate switchable audio sources to several rooms.

I will be installing ceiling mounted speakers throughout the house. I currently have an old audio receiver running my TV's audio, and an Airport Express hooked up to some computer speakers to stream music.

What I would LIKE to be able to do is have a selector switch in each room to switch between the TV audio and the Airplay audio, as well as volume control for each room.

What I'm thinking I will do is run a lead from the audio receiver (TV) and Airport Express to each room (into the switch). The amplification of the receiver will need to power the whole system. That will give me the ability to switch between the two sources independently in each room. So, for example, we can have audio from a football game playing in the living room, patio, and the bathroom during the super bowl, but my wife can stream her Pandora to our bedroom while I'm streaming the TV audio to both the living room and office. Hopefully you get the idea.

Is this the best way to go about this? Is there a better solution I'm not seeing? Maybe something without switches?
c2c4c is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 12:43 PM   #2
c2c4c
macrumors newbie

Came across this video....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49w0k3eHYkY

Looks like an elegant solution for what I need.

Here's the amplifier/controller setup. http://www.htd.com/Products/mid-level-whole-house-audio

It's $999, but seems pretty awesome.

Any other ideas?
c2c4c is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 08:21 AM   #3
JAT
macrumors 603

That price will be tough to beat. There are plenty of whole-house vendors out there, but they usually start well above $1000 for a complete system. Niles, Nuvo, Crestron, etc.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater