Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fb6668

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
My setup:
iMac with iTunes 10.7 in home office
Time Capsule as wifi router (connected by ethernet to iMac)
AppleTV2 in living room
Airport Express connected to Bose speakers in kitchen

This is a strange one. When playing music from my iTunes library just on my computer, it works absolutely fine.
However, if I play to any other speakers, either individually (eg just on AppleTV2) or as multiple speakers, then after an indeterminate amount of time, the music will stop playing. It always stops between tracks, so one song finishes and the next never starts. If I look at iTunes on the iMac, the progress bar of the song is still moving, as if the song is playing. If I skip back to the beginning of the track, it will play to all chosen speakers again, until it decides to repeat this behaviour.
Sometimes this may be a matter of a few tracks, sometimes it will be a few hours.
One time, I went to bed having forgotten that it was still "playing" silently and it actually turned back on (and woke me up) in the early hours of the morning.
It doesn't matter how i start the music playing, whether through my iMac directly, through the AppleTV or through the remote app on my iPhone, the same behaviour always occurs.
I think the weirdest thing is that the sound also stops being played through my computer's own speakers, which makes me think that it's not a network problem?

Has anyone else come across this and have a solution for it?

Thanks,

F

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.