Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macboy Pro

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
Exactly!!! I just bought my wife a 4g ipad. We can't get Internet where we live so the only way for my mom to see our new baby on FaceTime is to tether to my phone. Maybe I can use the ipad as a hotspot and somehow make another wifi off that one so we can FaceTime.

Why do we have to wait 2 months for this???? If they enable FaceTime over 4g and release google maps and YouTube I won't have to jailbreak.

----------

I bet you'd be great at selling reverse mortgages to old people. :rolleyes:

lol, actually I have talked a couple relatives out of that. I am just presenting the facts as I get tired of reading how people are throttled an no longer get unlimited data. Speed and Data are two different things. AT&T is protecting their network for the rest of us, while still providing their unlimited data to those to still hang on to that plan.

theonekcrow

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2009
Indiana
AT&T is actually borrowing good portion of that 14 billion dollar upgrade. The CEO basically said we need to reinvest back into AT&T as now is the time when interest rates are at all time low. But the upgrade is more about getting rid landlines and old dsl lines and replacing it with VoIP, VIP(45-100mb fibre upgrade), and wireless (LTE upgrade to cover 300 million more customers).

That is true... It just that the coincidence is there...

solor102

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2008
Tustin, Ca
FaceTime coming to 4S

I know, I know. I haven't been a contributor since 2008, but I really haven't had anything to share since then. I just spoke with AT&T customer service. I called to see if they could activate FaceTime over cellular for my 4S. I knew that they wouldn't due to the fact it wasn't a 5, but the settings pane in iOS 6 stated to call, so I figured I would try. The woman went through some prompts and stated that FaceTime for tiered plans would be coming in "8-10 weeks" and that the technicians were working on it. That sounded dumb, but I didn't want to fight it hard, but I did ask if it would be coming to 4S or if it would be limited to 5. She said it would be available for any iPhone with a front facing camera that was running iOS 6. I don't know how much weight to put on this, but it seemed sincere enough to make me want to post on here after 4 years. Take it for what you will, but I believe that any capable iOS device with a front facing camera will be able to use FaceTime over AT&T cellular in 8-10 weeks.

***if this is old news, please disregard***

adam1080

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2012
I've had FaceTime over 3g on my iPhone 4 for years(with my unlimited plan).

I plan on having FaceTime again with my iPhone 5 over LTE(as soon as there is a jailbreak.)

There is no way I am giving up my unlimited plan. $30 for 5-6GB of of un-throttled data. There is no other data plan that comes close.

Tangoftw

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2012
Simple solution download Tango (free) then use it have your friends install it then video chat the night away simple solution

deewcotton

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2012
I've had FaceTime over 3g on my iPhone 4 for years(with my unlimited plan).

I plan on having FaceTime again with my iPhone 5 over LTE(as soon as there is a jailbreak.)

There is no way I am giving up my unlimited plan. $30 for 5-6GB of of un-throttled data. There is no other data plan that comes close.

i'm currently using 3g unrestrictor that i bought from cydia. I would rather give a few bucks to a hacker than 1 extra cent to ATT!!!!!

moonman239

Cancelled
Mar 27, 2009
I believe it does. The phone just switches to 3G when you take a call.

One thing I have never been able to get is why Verizon couldn't have built their network so that a one-radio cellphone can do voice AND data. Seriously, what's so great about CDMA?

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
I believe it does. The phone just switches to 3G when you take a call.

One thing I have never been able to get is why Verizon couldn't have built their network so that a one-radio cellphone can do voice AND data. Seriously, what's so great about CDMA?

No, it doesnt. Verizon 3G doesn't support voice + data and iphone 5 has a single chipset so it cannot have both LTE (for data) + 3g for voice enabled simultaneously.

techiegirl

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
I have the mobile share plan on my iPhone and the unlimited data on my iPad. I've been able to Facetime from my iPhone since iOS 6. Today I received a Facetime call on my iPad and iPhone (it rings at the same time), and accidentally answered it on my iPad. I was surprised it worked. I didn't think it would work since the iPad has unlimited data.

sdsvtdriver

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2008
Southern California
I have the mobile share plan on my iPhone and the unlimited data on my iPad. I've been able to Facetime from my iPhone since iOS 6. Today I received a Facetime call on my iPad and iPhone (it rings at the same time), and accidentally answered it on my iPad. I was surprised it worked. I didn't think it would work since the iPad has unlimited data.

No go for me. iPad on unlimited plan w/no mobile share on phone.

moonman239

Cancelled
Mar 27, 2009
No, it doesnt. Verizon 3G doesn't support voice + data and iphone 5 has a single chipset so it cannot have both LTE (for data) + 3g for voice enabled simultaneously

I guess no carrier is perfect. AT&T restricts FaceTime use, Verizon's LTE is not yet supported by all it's towers, T-Mobile and Sprint have the smallest coverage areas, and Sprint's 3G data speeds suck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.