Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dk143

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 9, 2010
I want to use Siri for "text/call my wife", but am having trouble!

Have set my spouse in the contact details for myself, but siri will only do it when I say "text/call my SPOUSE", which is a bit annoying.

Anyone know how I can get round this?

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I want to use Siri for "text/call my wife", but am having trouble!

Have set my spouse in the contact details for myself, but siri will only do it when I say "text/call my SPOUSE", which is a bit annoying.

Anyone know how I can get round this?

The only way would be to make your wife "wife" In your contacts instead of her name.

Kashsystems

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2012
Maybe Siri is jealous and does not like your wife......

Sorry bad jokes are an addiction that I can not break.

dk143

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 9, 2010
This. You need to let Siri know who your wife is first. Manually adding it won't work.

I've tried that and it doesn't work! I've told Siri who my wife is, but it adds her as a "spouse".

So I say to Siri "Jane Doe is my wife". In my contacts, she is automatically listed as my "spouse".

When I say "call my wife", it doesn't work, but "call my spouse" does.

Hence the problem!

Ingster

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2007
Leeds, UK
Press siri, say (spouses name) is my wife, then siri will add it, then just say to siri, text my wife/ring my wife

Prof.

macrumors 603
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland
Find yourself in your contact list, then press EDIT. Then create a custom relationship for your wife within your contact card.

dk143

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 9, 2010
Press siri, say (spouses name) is my wife, then siri will add it, then just say to siri, text my wife/ring my wife

Tried that - didn't work!

----------

Find yourself in your contact list, then press EDIT. Then create a custom relationship for your wife within your contact card.

Tried that too - also didn't work!

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Just curious. Are you using the phone in US English or some other language. I've seen some odd behavior over the years with localization other than US English.

B

dk143

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 9, 2010
I'm in the UK and as far as I can tell, everything is set to English (uk).

swervinsuburban

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2012
Key siri and ask "who is my wife" and what does she say? If she doesn't say anybody she will prompt you to add somebody as your wife

dk143

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 9, 2010
Key siri and ask "who is my wife" and what does she say? If she doesn't say anybody she will prompt you to add somebody as your wife

Ok, this is weird. I did what you suggested, and it brought up my wife's contact details correctly.

When I say "call my wife", Siri replies with:

I don't have a wife number for "me". Would you like to use "my number" instead.

But if tell Siri to "call my wife's iPhone", it works as it should!

Prof.

macrumors 603
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland
Ok, this is weird. I did what you suggested, and it brought up my wife's contact details correctly.

That's what you need to do. When I tell Siri to call my mom, I say "Call mom at work" or "Call mom iPhone"

gsugolfer

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2010
Georgia, USA
How do you expect siri to know who your wife is? :rolleyes:

He doesn't. He expects it to remember when told. Nothing wrong with that. My phone worked fine with relationships, but my wife's didnt. She had to set a contact as her name and then add relationships from there. Didn't work with the "Me" contact.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
I've got my fiancée in my contacts under girlfriend/partner and can dial her using both "call my girlfriend" or "call my partner" - not sure why yours doesn't work!

swervinsuburban

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2012

If she has multiple numbers you have to specify which number to call

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.