Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 24, 2012, 12:01 PM   #1
BLOND37
macrumors 6502a

Texting to more than 1 person

i have iphone running 6.0.1 (or whatever the most current is).. if i send a text to more than one person (who has an iPhone):

can they see the text went to other people?
can they see each other replies?

i was told by a friend yes to both... i was also told by android person that android people can't see the text went to others and that they can't see replies.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 12:04 PM   #2
Carlanga
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLOND37 View Post
i have iphone running 6.0.1 (or whatever the most current is).. if i send a text to more than one person (who has an iPhone):

can they see the text went to other people?
can they see each other replies?

i was told by a friend yes to both... i was also told by android person that android people can't see the text went to others and that they can't see replies.
If all iOS then all can see the txts and continue on the same group txt msjs
If a normal phone gets the txt he/she would reply back and you would receive it at a separate new individual txt from that specific person instead of the group txt msjs.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 12:05 PM   #3
stonyboys
macrumors 6502

If both people have iPhones with iMessage on then the texts would be in a iMessage group conversation where the other person can see that the third person is also receiving these messages. If either person doesn't have an iPhone or doesn't have iMessage then no one except you would be able to see who else you texted the message to.
stonyboys is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 12:07 PM   #4
ggpike
macrumors member

Yes those are both true.

With Android, when a user receives the initial group message they can see that it was sent to other people. However, when others in the group reply, it shows up as an individual message.

ie:
Bill send out a group message to John(iPhone) Bob(android) and Sue(iPhone)

Everyone in that group gets the message and sees that it went to a group

John and Sue can reply back and the see each others replies and the conversation stays in the group on Messages

Bob can see when people reply, but the replies show up in the form of an individual text from John, a text from Bill and a text from Sue. Which makes it VERY difficult to participate in a group convo.
ggpike is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 12:24 PM   #5
LoloBond
macrumors 6502

I remember when I got my first iPhone (4s), it's was new years just a few min past midnight and I got a text that later I learned it was a huge grp message.. I replayed back and started getting text from all over the place.. lol
LoloBond is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 12:39 PM   #6
BLOND37
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoloBond View Post
I remember when I got my first iPhone (4s), it's was new years just a few min past midnight and I got a text that later I learned it was a huge grp message.. I replayed back and started getting text from all over the place.. lol

thats exactly what i am afriad will happen.. <nervous giggle>

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonyboys View Post
If both people have iPhones with iMessage on then the texts would be in a iMessage group conversation where the other person can see that the third person is also receiving these messages. If either person doesn't have an iPhone or doesn't have iMessage then no one except you would be able to see who else you texted the message to.
ugh lets complicate things more LOL.. can i turn off imessaging?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggpike View Post
Yes those are both true.

With Android, when a user receives the initial group message they can see that it was sent to other people. However, when others in the group reply, it shows up as an individual message.

ie:
Bill send out a group message to John(iPhone) Bob(android) and Sue(iPhone)

Everyone in that group gets the message and sees that it went to a group

John and Sue can reply back and the see each others replies and the conversation stays in the group on Messages

Bob can see when people reply, but the replies show up in the form of an individual text from John, a text from Bill and a text from Sue. Which makes it VERY difficult to participate in a group convo.
oh so basically everyone can see everything its just a question of group replies or individual "windows"

----------

ohhh wait ok i ge it now LOL
Old Nov 24, 2012, 10:58 PM   #7
CosmoPilot
macrumors 65816

Unless constantly communicating with the same group is necessary, I recommend deleting group texts after they are read. This prevents the occasional reply that was intended for only one recipient.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone