Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cnguyen0320

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 14, 2012
People always say Apple products are a status symbol meaning like if you have it, you're just telling everybody you're rich.. Why is that? There are Android and Windows 8 phones that cost $200 on contract (same as the iPhone) and there tablets that cost more than iPads. Why is Apple seen as a status symbol?

Also, why is it that Apple products have a higher resale value than Android handsets 2 years down the road?

I'm not asking rhetorical questions to make a point... I just want to know. Thanks.

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
Everything is relative, status symbol of what?

The resale value is higher because the market is willing to pay more for them, meaning they have higher value.
The way I see it, is that more than likely you can update to a newer version of iOS in old devices and with the Android devices you are stuck with the old OS, not all of them are like that, but that is the general impression or reality.

Timzer

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2011
It's only a status symbol to the blind followers and the ignorant. Funny how these people also know full well that a lot of kids in elementary school have an iPhone. And they brag about how it's the single biggest selling phone among the masses. But when something is so commonplace, it's far from being a product that shows high status. Yet they still chose to believe an iPhone shows off how "elite" they are. And they like to compare it to owning a Ferrari or a Yacht. What a joke.

AppleAlfred

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2012
Canada
People always say Apple products are a status symbol meaning like if you have it, you're just telling everybody you're rich.. Why is that? There are Android and Windows 8 phones that cost $200 on contract (same as the iPhone) and there tablets that cost more than iPads. Why is Apple seen as a status symbol?

Also, why is it that Apple products have a higher resale value than Android handsets 2 years down the road?

I'm not asking rhetorical questions to make a point... I just want to know. Thanks.

It's a status symbol because pop culture has made it one. People today buy iPhones because their friends have them, and those who try something else are often faced with odd looks and questions like "why wouldn't you get an iPhone though???...." from people who don't even know what android is.

Apple products have higher resale value because 1) releases are less common on apple products. Buy an iPhone and in two years you're only two models away from the newest one. Buy and android and in two months you're already 15 models (including all carriers) off of the newest one. 2) Apple does have a great reputation for build quality, and also they update products, which helps maintain value as opposed to android where you get stuck waiting months for a release of software that may or may not come your way.

Also, people just want apple products more than android.. those people who really couldn't care less about what phone they get will pay more for a phone they've heard lots about than one that they know nothing about.

----------

It's only a status symbol to the blind followers and the ignorant. Funny how these people also know full well that a lot of kids in elementary school have an iPhone. And they brag about how it's the single biggest selling phone among the masses. But when something is so commonplace, it's far from being a product that shows high status. Yet they still chose to believe an iPhone shows off how "elite" they are. And they like to compare it to owning a Ferrari or a Yacht. What a joke.

I agree with you that owning an iPhone should not be seen as owning anything special. There was a time when that was the case I believe, but these days it's so commonplace that seeing it that way is quite stupid. On the other side of that, apple should be thrilled that it has been adopted by so many, it's not like they've brought down the price, people are just making sacrifices/going into debt to finance these choices.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
I agree with you that owning an iPhone should not be seen as owning anything special. There was a time when that was the case I believe, but these days it's so commonplace that seeing it that way is quite stupid. On the other side of that, apple should be thrilled that it has been adopted by so many, it's not like they've brought down the price, people are just making sacrifices/going into debt to finance these choices.

They're far more popular in subsidized markets. It's only a big jump in cost if it required going to a more expensive plan.

cnguyen0320

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 14, 2012
The way I see it, is that more than likely you can update to a newer version of iOS in old devices and with the Android devices you are stuck with the old OS, not all of them are like that, but that is the general impression or reality.

But the Nexus devices like the Galaxy Nexus will only get around $50 (I think) from Amazon and it is a year old and already got 4.2. However, the iPhone 4 (2 years old) will get you around $200. I think there's something else to it...

It's only a status symbol to the blind followers and the ignorant.

I've seen android users say iPhone owners "only buy the iPhone because it is a status symbol." So they must think that the iPhone shows off one's status also.

I think there is something about the iPhone that makes it special and that's why people like it. Could it be it is the only phone that can run iOS while there are hundreds of phones that can run Android? Like, "I have an iPhone, it is the sole runner of iOS." while the other side is "I have an S3, one of the hundreds that can run Android"

DanteMann

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2011

HAHAHAAAA!!! This!

I laugh every time I read how some fankiddie likes to compare owning an iphone to owning a Ferrari. They truly believe they have a device that only "Wealthy" people can own. Yet all high end device cost pretty much the same accross the board. In fact you'll even see squeegee kids with an iPhone. When's the last time you seen a mass of squeegee kids driving a Ferrari. Ohhh, ignorance is bliss indeed. :p

AppleAlfred

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2012
Canada
They're far more popular in subsidized markets. It's only a big jump in cost if it required going to a more expensive plan.

Yeah I won't argue that, but none the less you can buy some of the more recent android phones for 150-200 less than iPhones, which almost never decrease in price while they are still the most recent model. A small difference but for some people 200 dollars is more than others.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Yeah I won't argue that, but none the less you can buy some of the more recent android phones for 150-200 less than iPhones, which almost never decrease in price while they are still the most recent model. A small difference but for some people 200 dollars is more than others.

Android covers a huge range. The nicer phones still start around $200 subsidized just like the iphone. There are "free" with contract phones, but generally if you're trying to save money, you should look at one of the pay as you go plans and something that doesn't cost a lot off contract.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
It's usually only online idiots that think of them as status symbols in my experience. I don't really see people in real life who think they're cool because of their phone.

I can see schools being like that though.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
I think it started because before the line-up of Premium Android phones the iPhone was much, much more expensive than them, having bought every phone (minus the 3GS) off contract I felt that pain.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
If you ever met some of the weirdos that wait in line for the new iPhone you'd quickly realize its not a symbol of status.

Maybe people that literally can't afford them might think its some sort of status symbol but it really isn't.

Put it this way. The company I work hands them out for "work phones", there are some guys below my (in position) that job title is maintenance..... Just saying....

siiip5

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2012
Not everyone can use a smartphone, but anyone can use an iphone. And that is pretty much the antithesis of a 'status symbol'.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
Apple is a status symbol because of all the bully lawsuits it files against others. It stands more for scaring and intimidation than anything.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Apple was a status symbol and for a legit reason. Now its different, but reputation dies hard.

AppleAlfred

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2012
Canada
Android covers a huge range. The nicer phones still start around $200 subsidized just like the iphone. There are "free" with contract phones, but generally if you're trying to save money, you should look at one of the pay as you go plans and something that doesn't cost a lot off contract.

Agreed, but most people aren't looking for that, and they want the latest and greatest android or iPhone. In which case, overall android is generally cheaper, on a plan.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
If you ever met some of the weirdos that wait in line for the new iPhone you'd quickly realize its not a symbol of status.

Maybe people that literally can't afford them might think its some sort of status symbol but it really isn't.

Put it this way. The company I work hands them out for "work phones", there are some guys below my (in position) that job title is maintenance..... Just saying....

Ummm, by labeling them "weirdos" you have given them status. ;)

I don't see Apple as a status symbol. Perhaps when I was running around with the first iPhone or something like that but even then it wasn't a status symbol for me. To me status is gained by what you do and not what you buy.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Why is it a status symbol? They are so cheaply priced (just as most other phones). Heck, I just read that you can get the iphone 5 refub for $99 with a 2 year, that's the latest and greatest.

Go get a Vertu or some golden lined phone to really have a status symbol, otherwise whipping out your iphone just makes you look like every single other person in the room including the homeless guy plugging his into the park outlet.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
Apple has higher brand value than other manufacturers. It's not necessarily about the price, Apple is selling its brand and people want it.

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
Apple has higher brand value than other manufacturers. It's not necessarily about the price, Apple is selling its brand and people want it.

Apple is a premium brand, but once it became subsidized, the iPhone is not really a premium product....at least in the sense that it's a 'status symbol'.

With millions of refurbs, $99 and free on contract models, pretty much anybody can get an iPhone.

I still see a Macbook as being something 'nicer' than a PC....but a iPhone or iPad doesn't seem in the same class.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009

Brand value is one thing, and I agree with you, status symbol is yet another. Anyone who whips out his phone and thinks it is a status symbol is not the sharpest tool in the shed.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
People are still lining up to buy the iPhone.

I haven't seen a line for an Android phone last longer than a day. In the end nothing much has changed. Apple appeals to the design conscious and those who tend to be design conscious are mid to upper middle class.

When your well to do friend has a bunch of Apple gear sitting in a nice home it brings status.

You don't get status with a plastic phone with a humongous screen and batteries that pop out when you drop them. I wouldn't pay $50 for it a year either.

:apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.