Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rockstarinlife

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2008
Need some quick advice here.

I am visiting my parents for the holidays and will be home Saturday night.

I just picked up a brand new iPhone 5 and want to start using it right away.

Here is my dilima:

I have a iPhone 4 that is synched to my iMac at home.

I brought my external harddrive that have an exact clone of my iMac (using CCloner).

Should I bootup from that cloned drive using my MacBook Air and then sync my new iPhone 5 that way now.

Then when I get home (this Saturday night) drag and drop the itunes folder (or whatever I need to keep my apps etc) from my cloned drive to my iMac at home.

or should I wait till I get home and do it that way?

Also any tips or advice since I am not 100% sure how to do this :)

Appreciate any help and or tips you can give me.

rockstarinlife

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2008
I didnt want to wait and went ahead and booted from the cloned ext hard drive I brought with me.

It was super easy to boot from and then I synced the new iPhone 5 to itunes.

Now I just need to know which files do I need to overwrite when I get home on my iMac since the ext hard drive will have a more up to date itunes.

I am guessing I only need to copy over the itunes folder?

Just wanna make sure it contains all the apps and backups of my iPhone 5, iPads etc in that folder.

Reidan

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2012
Is your old iPhone not synced with iCloud? When I first got my iPhone 5 at work, my MBA was at home. Mine is on AT&T. I activated the phone via the AT&T website before ever powering it on. I activated the phone via cellular wireless. Then let it sync to iCloud over the cellular wireless. Told it to restore my current iPhone Profile from iCloud.

iCloud restored my settings and such, but not my Apps. Most apps came down directly from App store via cellular wireless, but a few of the larger ones needed WiFi due to size. By the time I got home, the phone was fully up and running without ever having been connected to a computer. And because I told it to restore an existing iCloud backup, when I did connect it to my MBA, it was already recognized on my iTunes Account on the MBA.

These days you can live without ever attaching your iPhone to a computer.

And to answer your question, yes, just need to copy your iTunes folder from the Clone back to the original iMac.

rockstarinlife

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2008
Thanks and I never really looked into iCloud until recently. When it comes to backup I'm kinda old school and prefer backup to hard drive with a clone on top of it. But if I can use iCloud and iTunes so I have 2 backups, then I am down to do it.

My biz partner uses I iCloud and when they did the switch from .me (or whatever they called it) to iCloud he lost all his contacts and some other stuff because he didn't backup to iTunes and only used the iCloud .me. So I always want a 2nd backup myself.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Thanks and I never really looked into iCloud until recently. When it comes to backup I'm kinda old school and prefer backup to hard drive with a clone on top of it. But if I can use iCloud and iTunes so I have 2 backups, then I am down to do it.

My biz partner uses I iCloud and when they did the switch from .me (or whatever they called it) to iCloud he lost all his contacts and some other stuff because he didn't backup to iTunes and only used the iCloud .me. So I always want a 2nd backup myself.

Set up the iCloud backup and let that run.

Then connect to iTunes, right click on your device in the sidebar and choose 'Backup' and then you'll have a backup on both iCloud and iTunes. The iTunes backup would need to be initiated manually each time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.