Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 24, 2012, 01:30 AM   #1
bursthead
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Why does the Apple Store require the used sim with a iPhone Return

I just came back from returning my iPhone 5 to the Apple Store Pasadena. I was a bit perplexed because the store manager said that I could only return my iPhone 5 verizon if I had the sim card with it.

I was suprised as to why I need to return the phone with a sim card even as it will be deactivated and cannot be reused. Everything was included in the box short of the sim. He went so far to tell me the sim was similar to the headphones. If I didnt have the headphones them he would be unable to take the phone back, which I understand.

I tired to reason with him and say that sim card itself cannot be re-used. Unfortunately his response was that everything apple puts in the box has to be returned back to apple. I want to know if this is store policy or has occurred to anyone else?
__________________
Current as of 6/13/2013: Verizon Note 3,White iPad Air 16gb ATT. Sony Xperia Z Ultra. Z10 ATT. Proud unlimited iPad ATT Data Plan Owner & Verizon Unlimited Data User.
bursthead is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 02:01 AM   #2
bandofbrothers
macrumors 68040
 
bandofbrothers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Uk
Hi.

Generally Everything that was in the box will need to be returned for a refund.

The SIM card may seem minor to you but possibly not to them.

Would you try to return a kettle without its power cord ?
__________________
MacBook Air 11 Core i5 1.6GHz 4GB 128GB 1.6GHz dual-core Intel Core i5.

iPhone 6 Plus 16GB Space Grey - iOS 8.1.1
iPad Air 16GB Space Grey. - iOS 8.1.1
bandofbrothers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 02:32 AM   #3
sillywabbit
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by bursthead View Post
I just came back from returning my iPhone 5 to the Apple Store Pasadena. I was a bit perplexed because the store manager said that I could only return my iPhone 5 verizon if I had the sim card with it.

I was suprised as to why I need to return the phone with a sim card even as it will be deactivated and cannot be reused. Everything was included in the box short of the sim. He went so far to tell me the sim was similar to the headphones. If I didnt have the headphones them he would be unable to take the phone back, which I understand.

I tired to reason with him and say that sim card itself cannot be re-used. Unfortunately his response was that everything apple puts in the box has to be returned back to apple. I want to know if this is store policy or has occurred to anyone else?
Better question, why are even keeping the SIM if you are returning the phone?
sillywabbit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 02:39 AM   #4
bursthead
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandofbrothers View Post
Hi.

Generally Everything that was in the box will need to be returned for a refund.

The SIM card may seem minor to you but possibly not to them.

Would you try to return a kettle without its power cord ?
I don't think that is a good comparison. I would compare it to the kettle packaged with a glowstick. Once I crack that glow-stick there is no way they can use again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillywabbit View Post
Better question, why are even keeping the SIM if you are returning the phone?
I bought another iPhone 5 for a better a price.
__________________
Current as of 6/13/2013: Verizon Note 3,White iPad Air 16gb ATT. Sony Xperia Z Ultra. Z10 ATT. Proud unlimited iPad ATT Data Plan Owner & Verizon Unlimited Data User.
bursthead is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 03:40 AM   #5
Vudoo
macrumors 6502a
 
Vudoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dallas Metroplex
Quote:
Originally Posted by bursthead View Post
I bought another iPhone 5 for a better a price.
So put in the SIM from that iPhone 5 then.
Vudoo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 09:58 AM   #6
sillywabbit
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by bursthead View Post
I don't think that is a good comparison. I would compare it to the kettle packaged with a glowstick. Once I crack that glow-stick there is no way they can use again.



I bought another iPhone 5 for a better a price.
Got it. Why not just swap sims with the other iPhone u just purchased? If it did not come with a sim, I have one for sale if interested. I am in la/Glendale.

Also, just wondering, how did u pay for the better deal deal iPhone?
sillywabbit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 10:08 AM   #7
Jordan921
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bay Area
If you're returning the phone they'll need the SIM card. If you bought another iPhone why not just go to your carrier and ask for a new SIM card, they're free.
Jordan921 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 12:57 PM   #8
bursthead
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillywabbit View Post
Got it. Why not just swap sims with the other iPhone u just purchased? If it did not come with a sim, I have one for sale if interested. I am in la/Glendale.

Also, just wondering, how did u pay for the better deal deal iPhone?
I bought the phone off a private seller. I got a 64 for less than i paid for the 32gb in store.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan921 View Post
If you're returning the phone they'll need the SIM card. If you bought another iPhone why not just go to your carrier and ask for a new SIM card, they're free.
I used my ipad mini sim, so i was able to return it. I'm just womdering why does apple require the sim?
__________________
Current as of 6/13/2013: Verizon Note 3,White iPad Air 16gb ATT. Sony Xperia Z Ultra. Z10 ATT. Proud unlimited iPad ATT Data Plan Owner & Verizon Unlimited Data User.
bursthead is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 01:45 PM   #9
jasheeky
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Who cares? Did you really have to make a thread about it?
jasheeky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 02:02 PM   #10
bursthead
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasheeky View Post
Who cares? Did you really have to make a thread about it?
I care.
__________________
Current as of 6/13/2013: Verizon Note 3,White iPad Air 16gb ATT. Sony Xperia Z Ultra. Z10 ATT. Proud unlimited iPad ATT Data Plan Owner & Verizon Unlimited Data User.
bursthead is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 03:08 PM   #11
quasinormal
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandofbrothers View Post
Hi.

Generally Everything that was in the box will need to be returned for a refund.

The SIM card may seem minor to you but possibly not to them.

Would you try to return a kettle without its power cord ?
Since when has any phone shipped with a SIM card?

OP, did you get the phone from Apple on contract or, as your posting suggests, outright?

I'd imagine you'd need to return the SIM card if you were breaking the contract, but there is no way you'd be required to if the phone was purchased outright.
quasinormal is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to return iPhone bought from Apple Store? noobinator iPhone 8 Oct 3, 2013 03:27 PM
Return iPhone 5 at Apple Store.. How long to get refund? eddiexhart iPhone 7 Oct 23, 2012 02:58 PM
Can I return my iPhone 5 to the Apple Store and buy it back for full price? fsolano iPhone 16 Oct 14, 2012 04:04 AM
Can I return my iPhone 5 I bought online to a Apple retail store? nhlducks35 iPhone 2 Oct 9, 2012 07:55 PM
Return Verizon iPhone 5 to Apple store MotionxxUSxx iPhone 6 Sep 26, 2012 01:13 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:47 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC