Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 24, 2012, 01:30 AM   #1
bursthead
macrumors 6502

Why does the Apple Store require the used sim with a iPhone Return

I just came back from returning my iPhone 5 to the Apple Store Pasadena. I was a bit perplexed because the store manager said that I could only return my iPhone 5 verizon if I had the sim card with it.

I was suprised as to why I need to return the phone with a sim card even as it will be deactivated and cannot be reused. Everything was included in the box short of the sim. He went so far to tell me the sim was similar to the headphones. If I didnt have the headphones them he would be unable to take the phone back, which I understand.

I tired to reason with him and say that sim card itself cannot be re-used. Unfortunately his response was that everything apple puts in the box has to be returned back to apple. I want to know if this is store policy or has occurred to anyone else?
Old Nov 24, 2012, 02:01 AM   #2
bandofbrothers
macrumors 68040

Hi.

Generally Everything that was in the box will need to be returned for a refund.

The SIM card may seem minor to you but possibly not to them.

Would you try to return a kettle without its power cord ?

iPhone 6 Plus 16GB Space Grey - iOS 8.1.1
iPad Air 16GB Space Grey. - iOS 8.1.1
bandofbrothers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 02:32 AM   #3
sillywabbit
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by bursthead View Post
I just came back from returning my iPhone 5 to the Apple Store Pasadena. I was a bit perplexed because the store manager said that I could only return my iPhone 5 verizon if I had the sim card with it.

I was suprised as to why I need to return the phone with a sim card even as it will be deactivated and cannot be reused. Everything was included in the box short of the sim. He went so far to tell me the sim was similar to the headphones. If I didnt have the headphones them he would be unable to take the phone back, which I understand.

I tired to reason with him and say that sim card itself cannot be re-used. Unfortunately his response was that everything apple puts in the box has to be returned back to apple. I want to know if this is store policy or has occurred to anyone else?
Better question, why are even keeping the SIM if you are returning the phone?
sillywabbit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 02:39 AM   #4
bursthead
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandofbrothers View Post
Hi.

I don't think that is a good comparison. I would compare it to the kettle packaged with a glowstick. Once I crack that glow-stick there is no way they can use again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillywabbit View Post
Better question, why are even keeping the SIM if you are returning the phone?
I bought another iPhone 5 for a better a price.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 03:40 AM   #5
Vudoo
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
So put in the SIM from that iPhone 5 then.
Vudoo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 09:58 AM   #6
sillywabbit
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I don't think that is a good comparison. I would compare it to the kettle packaged with a glowstick. Once I crack that glow-stick there is no way they can use again.

Got it. Why not just swap sims with the other iPhone u just purchased? If it did not come with a sim, I have one for sale if interested. I am in la/Glendale.

Also, just wondering, how did u pay for the better deal deal iPhone?
sillywabbit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 10:08 AM   #7
Jordan921
macrumors 68030

If you're returning the phone they'll need the SIM card. If you bought another iPhone why not just go to your carrier and ask for a new SIM card, they're free.
Jordan921 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 12:57 PM   #8
bursthead
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillywabbit View Post
Got it. Why not just swap sims with the other iPhone u just purchased? If it did not come with a sim, I have one for sale if interested. I am in la/Glendale.

Also, just wondering, how did u pay for the better deal deal iPhone?
I bought the phone off a private seller. I got a 64 for less than i paid for the 32gb in store.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan921 View Post
If you're returning the phone they'll need the SIM card. If you bought another iPhone why not just go to your carrier and ask for a new SIM card, they're free.
I used my ipad mini sim, so i was able to return it. I'm just womdering why does apple require the sim?
Old Nov 24, 2012, 01:45 PM   #9
jasheeky
macrumors member

Who cares? Did you really have to make a thread about it?
jasheeky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 02:02 PM   #10
bursthead
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasheeky View Post
Who cares? Did you really have to make a thread about it?
I care.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 03:08 PM   #11
quasinormal
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandofbrothers View Post
Hi.

Since when has any phone shipped with a SIM card?

OP, did you get the phone from Apple on contract or, as your posting suggests, outright?

I'd imagine you'd need to return the SIM card if you were breaking the contract, but there is no way you'd be required to if the phone was purchased outright.
quasinormal is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone