Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MagicThief83

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
NYC
Anyone know how to go about in installing Windows 8 on a Mac without an optical drive? Are there download only editions of Windows 8 available?

Last edited:

MagicThief83

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
NYC

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL
After purchasing what? There are no digital editions available. Could I purchase the DVD version of Windows 8 and burn the iso. on a USB stick?

----------

Only applicable to users upgrading from a previous version of windows.

I don't know why you would do that. It would be easier to get access to a Windows 7 computer and download the upgrade assistant and have it make a bootable USB.

MagicThief83

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
NYC
I don't know why you would do that. It would be easier to get access to a Windows 7 computer and download the upgrade assistant and have it make a bootable USB.

Lol it's funny you would say. I actually remembered I had the Windows 8 Release Preview installed in Bootcamp on my MBA. Microsoft will allow you to purchase and upgrade to Windows 8 Pro (for just $39.99 :D) from the release preview. I'm downloading Windows 8 right now. Hopefully I can burn the iso to a USB stick, and I should be able to fresh install Windows 8 from there correct?

MagicThief83

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
NYC
Got it!

Update: I created a bootable USB stick using the Windows 8 iso that I downloaded (for only $39.99 ;)) using the Bootcamp assistant. I also saved the Windows support files as well on the same USB stick. I removed the Windows 8 Release Preview partition using Bootcamp assistant, and was able to install the full edition of Windows 8 PRO. So now that I have the iso, I know for a fact I can do the same on the new iMac once I get my hands on it. Thanks everyone for all your help.

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011
How do you like Windows 8 I haven't really been able to play with it because I have to adjust my screen resolution.

MJL

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2011
[/COLOR]
Only applicable to users upgrading from a previous version of windows.

Hmmm - I downloaded it and it installed in bootcamp without prompting me for a previous version..... Activated as well... Struck issues with 64 bit Windows 8 and have reverted to Windows 7.

MagicThief83

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
NYC
Hmmm - I downloaded it and it installed in bootcamp without prompting me for a previous version..... Activated as well... Struck issues with 64 bit Windows 8 and have reverted to Windows 7.

I upgraded to W8 Pro from the release preview version. I wanted to install Bootcamp to play steam games primarily. W8 is plagued with issues and incompatibilities...will be reverting to W7 for Bootcamp with the new iMac. W8 failed to update and install the updates, system couldn't configure the updates, my gamepad is not detected by W8 (worked in W7), was getting error messages with two Steam games that I downloaded and tried to play, and it states the integrated graphics card (Intel HD 4000) couldn't be detected. W8 is a huge mess and I regret the $39.99 that I spent on it. Could've used that money towards a SuperDrive and W7 license for the new iMac. W8 interface is also confusing and disorganized.

----------

How do you like Windows 8 I haven't really been able to play with it because I have to adjust my screen resolution.

W8 is ok for a tablet, stay far away if you prefer a true desktop OS. After all the issues I encountered with W8, it reinforced my decision as to why I decided to switch over to OSX. If it weren't for Steam gaming, I would avoid Windows altogether, although W7 is a good and stable OS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.