Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rchip

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2011
Hi,

I've just set up my guitar track but when I record it's in mono, how do I change this to stereo? I'm recording plugged direct into the apogee one with the amp simulations in Garage Band.

Thanks a lot!

Erko

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2011
Estonia
Since guitar outputs mono signal, I don't think you can record in stereo, besides the One is a mono interface.

rchip

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2011
Hey thanks for the reply!

So there is no way to have two waves on one track, because at the moment there is only one wave were as the drum track loops has two waves - is there an option on garage band so I can make the guitar signal have two waves?

If not, could I achieve this with another interface?

Thank you!

Erko

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2011
Estonia
A guitar in most cases only outputs a mono signal, aka has only 1 wave. When recording with any interface you get only 1 wave with each input, aka if you want a track to be stereo you need to use 2 mics or overdub it(although in these cases, I don't know if you can merge them to 1 track or still have to use 2). Another option would be to make a duplicate track, if you would like to add different effects.
Why do you need 2 waves?

rchip

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2011
Hey, thanks for your help again.

My friend was showing me how to set up apogee/garage band last night, I've not used any recording software before really. I'm the programs he mixes in on his windows pc, he said he has the guitar set up so it can be mixed in stereo, I was just asking why I was over there to see if there was a way to do it.

Thanks.

SimonUK5

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2010
Hey, thanks for your help again.

My friend was showing me how to set up apogee/garage band last night, I've not used any recording software before really. I'm the programs he mixes in on his windows pc, he said he has the guitar set up so it can be mixed in stereo, I was just asking why I was over there to see if there was a way to do it.

Thanks.

Then he isn't recording through an Apogee or he is just duplicating the tracks.

The only way to record a guitar is stereo, is by either mic'ing the amp/cab with 2 mics going into two separate channels. Or using a guitar with a Stereo output like a 355. Even then it would have to go into two separate DI's

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.