Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:47 PM   #1
JDilla
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Galaxy Nexus SIM in IPhone 5

Ok guys - I am new here and I have a rather complicated fact pattern so any help would be really appreciated.

I'm currently on my company's Verizon corporate account and use a Samsung Galaxy Nexus. It's a requirement that we have an Android phone to use some software but I'd like to have an iPhone as well. So my mom has an upgrade she doesnt want so I was going to use her upgrade to get the phone and then cut my Galaxy Nexus micro SIM to a Nano SIM size to pop in the iphone (then use an adapter to go back and forth from the nexus to the iphone).

I have a few questions though:

1. If I upgrade my mom's line through the Apple store, do I need to activate the phone on her line when I get it to avoid her having to pay full price for the phone? OR are the T&C's signed when I buy the phone and therefore her contract is already extended? I think the answer is that the T&C's are signed when she buys the phone through the Apple website so she wouldnt need to activate it to extend her contract - but confirmation of this would be great.

2. If I don't activate the phone on her line, can I just take the Nano SIM that came with the iphone 5 out and pop my cut down SIM into the phone and have it work or would I need to do some activation after I put my SIM in? This step is important because since the account is controlled by my company, I wouldnt have any information to be able to activate the phone as the account is not in my name.

At the end of the day, it would be great to get the subsidized iphone, pop my sim in and just have it work. It would be great to hear from anyone who has done this. It seems that most of the threads on this are for people switching lines or taking upgrades so they can just activate the phone and sim on their lines - I can't do that so my situation is a little different.

Thanks for reading!
JDilla is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:53 PM   #2
iPhone1
macrumors Demi-God
 
iPhone1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Honolulu, HI
I use my iPhone 5 nano SIM in my Galaxy S3 all the time. Buy a nano to micro sim adapter and pop it in. If your Galaxy isn't activated already, there are ways to bypass that. Rooting helps too.
iPhone1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:13 PM   #3
Diseal3
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDilla View Post
Ok guys - I am new here and I have a rather complicated fact pattern so any help would be really appreciated.

I'm currently on my company's Verizon corporate account and use a Samsung Galaxy Nexus. It's a requirement that we have an Android phone to use some software but I'd like to have an iPhone as well. So my mom has an upgrade she doesnt want so I was going to use her upgrade to get the phone and then cut my Galaxy Nexus micro SIM to a Nano SIM size to pop in the iphone (then use an adapter to go back and forth from the nexus to the iphone).

I have a few questions though:

1. If I upgrade my mom's line through the Apple store, do I need to activate the phone on her line when I get it to avoid her having to pay full price for the phone? OR are the T&C's signed when I buy the phone and therefore her contract is already extended? I think the answer is that the T&C's are signed when she buys the phone through the Apple website so she wouldnt need to activate it to extend her contract - but confirmation of this would be great.

2. If I don't activate the phone on her line, can I just take the Nano SIM that came with the iphone 5 out and pop my cut down SIM into the phone and have it work or would I need to do some activation after I put my SIM in? This step is important because since the account is controlled by my company, I wouldnt have any information to be able to activate the phone as the account is not in my name.

At the end of the day, it would be great to get the subsidized iphone, pop my sim in and just have it work. It would be great to hear from anyone who has done this. It seems that most of the threads on this are for people switching lines or taking upgrades so they can just activate the phone and sim on their lines - I can't do that so my situation is a little different.

Thanks for reading!
Have to cut the sim down to Nano size and then buy an adapter to go back to the nexus.
Diseal3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 09:16 AM   #4
JDilla
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diseal3 View Post
Have to cut the sim down to Nano size and then buy an adapter to go back to the nexus.
Yeah that sounds like what I will have to do which is no problem. Do you know if any activation is required or if I can just put my cut SIM into the iphone when I get it and it will work? Thanks!
JDilla is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 09:54 AM   #5
LSUtigers03
macrumors 68000
 
LSUtigers03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDilla View Post
Yeah that sounds like what I will have to do which is no problem. Do you know if any activation is required or if I can just put my cut SIM into the iphone when I get it and it will work? Thanks!
As long as you have an activated working sim all you should have to do is put it in the phone. The only issue I've had was with my One X. It wouldn't get data but once I found the correct apn everything worked perfectly.
LSUtigers03 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:06 AM   #6
Jordan921
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bay Area
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDilla View Post
Yeah that sounds like what I will have to do which is no problem. Do you know if any activation is required or if I can just put my cut SIM into the iphone when I get it and it will work? Thanks!
Shouldn't have any activation problems at all.
__________________
Unlocked Space Gray iPhone 5S 32gb AT&T, 13.3" MacBook Air 1.86GHZ 4GB Ram 128GB SSD
Jordan921 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 04:49 PM   #7
JDilla
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
OK guys thanks for all the help so far

So I got the off contract iPhone 5, I cut my Verizon micro Sim to nano Sim size and put it in the phone. I can now receive and make calls but I can't send texts to non iPhone owners or access voicemail. Also under settings it doesn't recognize Verizon as my carrier and doesn't show my phone number. At the top left of the phone it says LTE next to the reception bars but it should say Verizon LTE.

Please help!!! What did I do wrong?
JDilla is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 05:43 PM   #8
AutoUnion39
In Time-Out
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDilla View Post
OK guys thanks for all the help so far

So I got the off contract iPhone 5, I cut my Verizon micro Sim to nano Sim size and put it in the phone. I can now receive and make calls but I can't send texts to non iPhone owners or access voicemail. Also under settings it doesn't recognize Verizon as my carrier and doesn't show my phone number. At the top left of the phone it says LTE next to the reception bars but it should say Verizon LTE.

Please help!!! What did I do wrong?
Don't you need to activate a CDMA phone by calling VZW? I was under the impression it wasn't like a GSM where you could just swap SIMs when you were bored.
AutoUnion39 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 10:24 PM   #9
JDilla
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
I thought because the Verizon LTE phones use Sim cards you could swap them around which is why I tried to do this, but was I wrong? Do you still have to tie the imei number of the phone to the Sim for it to connect to the Verizon network?
JDilla is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:16 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC