Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kcp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2012
I am buying an iPad soon and will be using microsoft office (mainly excel and word) on the iPad. I am also thinking about getting AppleTV and am wondering ATV will allow me to display the work i am doing on my iPad on my TV screen. If ATV does not allow that, are there any other methods to do so?

Thanks

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
I am buying an iPad soon and will be using microsoft office (mainly excel and word) on the iPad.

You are going to have to stream Office in the first place since Microsoft has not released Microsoft Office for iOS. Then, if supported, stream that to the AppleTV.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
You can "mirror" anything showing on the iPad up to the big screen via ATV.

Must say however, I think ATV mirror is intended for video, movies etc. A worksheet, even a web page display never look on an HDTV as sharp as a cable-connected REAL monitor. Casual use OK, IMHO.

Pyromonkey83

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2009
There currently isn't a Microsoft Office for iOS/iPad out yet, so this wont work for that regard. However if you plan on using Pages/Numbers/Keynote to open your microsoft office files, this WILL work.

I have used my Apple TV many times to mirror things to my 55" Samsung and they have always looked great. Also, many schools here in Colorado do the same thing as well to both Projector screens and SmartBoards through the Apple TV as well.

Since the iPad supports full display mirroring through the ATV 2/3 you can also do this once Microsoft releases Office for iOS (if it ever happens).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.