Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 24, 2012, 05:17 PM   #1
marcelo4527
macrumors member

Question Unactivated T-mobile sim card?

I wanna test if my new iPhone 5 is in fact unlocked now, and the best way to do that is to simply put a different carrier's sim card, such as T-mobile..
The thing is that I need it to be unlocked to use it internationally with foreign carriers, so I don't have any T-mobile plans, and don't plan on having one.

They sell really cheap sim cards that I'm thinking about buying it just to find that out, but they come unactivated. Will my iPhone recognize the unactivated sim card and show T-mobile on the top corner, or do I need to like activate it with a cheap plan, or prepaid plan in order for that to work? And remember that I just wanna do that to find if my iphone is unlocked now, i don't have any intentions in use that sim card for other than that!
marcelo4527 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 05:27 PM   #2
aznboi91
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcelo4527 View Post
I wanna test if my new iPhone 5 is in fact unlocked now, and the best way to do that is to simply put a different carrier's sim card, such as T-mobile..
The thing is that I need it to be unlocked to use it internationally with foreign carriers, so I don't have any T-mobile plans, and don't plan on having one.

They sell really cheap sim cards that I'm thinking about buying it just to find that out, but they come unactivated. Will my iPhone recognize the unactivated sim card and show T-mobile on the top corner, or do I need to like activate it with a cheap plan, or prepaid plan in order for that to work? And remember that I just wanna do that to find if my iphone is unlocked now, i don't have any intentions in use that sim card for other than that!
Why don't you just bring it into a T-Mobile store and ask them to test it for you...?
aznboi91 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 05:35 PM   #3
duneriderltr450
macrumors 6502

I think if it's unlocked it will say no service and if it is not unlocked it will say invalid sim.
duneriderltr450 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 07:20 PM   #4
marcelo4527
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznboi91 View Post
Why don't you just bring it into a T-Mobile store and ask them to test it for you...?
That's a good idea actually! Although there's no T-mobile stores near me.. Do you think if I take it to at&t and ask them to just test that for me they would do it?
Old Nov 24, 2012, 07:40 PM   #5
aznboi91
macrumors regular

Quote:
That's a good idea actually! Although there's no T-mobile stores near me.. Do you think if I take it to at&t and ask them to just test that for me they would do it?
Probably, or verizon or any cellular network that has nano sims.
aznboi91 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 04:55 PM   #6
marcelo4527
macrumors member

I went to att and they didn't have any activated to test with my iphone.
It's a verizon iPhone, i know it is unlocked but i just wanted to test it out and make sure...
Old Nov 25, 2012, 08:50 PM   #7
RNVarma
macrumors regular

Quote:
That's exactly what I did with my device-only iPhone 5
Old Nov 26, 2012, 04:58 AM   #8
marcelo4527
macrumors member

Quote:
There's no t-mobile stores near me
Old Nov 26, 2012, 03:15 PM   #9
Mr Hill
macrumors 6502

Quote:
There's no t-mobile stores near me
Then go order a T-Mobile microsim online and cut it down to Nano sim size. Or you can just buy a T-Mobile nano sim from one of the sellers on eBay who are selling them.
Mr Hill is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 03:18 PM   #10
solo118
macrumors 6502a

Get this super cheap alternative. I paid $0.28 shipped, now its $1.24 shipped but it shows "simple mobile" on my unlocked ip5

http://www.amazon.com/Simple-Mobile-...bile+micro+sim
Old Nov 26, 2012, 07:24 PM   #11
marcelo4527
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo118 View Post
Get this super cheap alternative. I paid $0.28 shipped, now its $1.24 shipped but it shows "simple mobile" on my unlocked ip5

http://www.amazon.com/Simple-Mobile-...bile+micro+sim
Did you just put in your iPhone and it showed "simple mobile" on the top left corner right away or did you have to activate the sim first?
Old Nov 26, 2012, 07:54 PM   #12
Jades
macrumors regular

Quote:
Did you just put in your iPhone and it showed "simple mobile" on the top left corner right away or did you have to activate the sim first?
Just put it in the phone and will say simple mobile

Do you know if tmobile actually has coverage in your area though? If not, you may want to just check on their map and make sure that you will roam under AT&T
Jades is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 07:59 PM   #13
hoosier1
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jades View Post

Do you know if tmobile actually has coverage in your area though? If not, you may want to just check on their map and make sure that you will roam under AT&T
See my thread I just started. Uisng an unlocked/full price iphone in the US before going overseas, may lock the phone.
hoosier1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 08:01 PM   #14
marcelo4527
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jades View Post

Yes I checked! So can I just buy a cheap simple mobile sim card and insert in my phone without worrying about activating it?
Old Nov 26, 2012, 08:01 PM   #15
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier1 View Post
See my thread I just started. Uisng an unlocked/full price iphone in the US before going overseas, may lock the phone.
I call bs on that.
Applejuiced is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 08:05 PM   #16
marcelo4527
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
I call bs on that.
Me too
marcelo4527 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 07:59 AM   #17
Jades
macrumors regular

Quote:
Yes I checked! So can I just buy a cheap simple mobile sim card and insert in my phone without worrying about activating it?
Correct
That or tmobile. As long as it's unactivated, you are fine
Jades is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 04:22 PM   #18
Mrfatboy
macrumors regular

I bought a cheapy simple mobile sim on amazon to test my verizon iphone 5 unlock. I did not activate it. I just popped it in. It says "no service". I'm in a remote area and Tmobile has crappy service in general in our area. I guess I will try in an better area to see if "Tmobile" pops up.
Mrfatboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 04:39 PM   #19
Jtludwig
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier1 View Post
Where are you getting this crap?
Jtludwig is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 04:46 PM   #20
alphaod
macrumors Core

Any T-Mobile SIM card would work, so you could test with an old one, just ask around.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 08:55 PM   #21
marcelo4527
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaod View Post
Any T-Mobile SIM card would work, so you could test with an old one, just ask around.
I bought an used iPhone 4 for my brother for when I see him again, Idk how I didn't think of that before but it's an art phone and it had a sim card there! I cut to a nano sim size and put in the iPhone 5, since the aim was inactive it showed no signal but when I went to settings-general-about, it shows Carrier AT&T 13.0, which means it recognized the another carrier's sim!
Old Dec 1, 2012, 09:24 PM   #22
Mrfatboy
macrumors regular

Quote:
I bought an used iPhone 4 for my brother for when I see him again, Idk how I didn't think of that before but it's an art phone and it had a sim card there! I cut to a nano sim size and put in the iPhone 5, since the aim was inactive it showed no signal but when I went to settings-general-about, it shows Carrier AT&T 13.0, which means it recognized the another carrier's sim!
I had 'carrier 13.0' also when I put in the simplemobile sim but had 'no service'.

I will be downtown tomorrow and will test again and report back.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 10:01 PM   #23
marcelo4527
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrfatboy View Post
I had 'carrier 13.0' also when I put in the simplemobile sim but had 'no service'.

I will be downtown tomorrow and will test again and report back.
Mine said AT&T 13.0 and also no service but that's because the sim card wasn't activated!
Did you just buy the simple mobile and put it in your iPhone? Because you would need to activate the sim card and assign a phone number to that sim in order to show signal! So yours is probably just inactive
Old Dec 2, 2012, 05:22 AM   #24
Mrfatboy
macrumors regular

I'm confused. According to post #17 the simple mobile sim DOES NOT need to be activated to display 'tmobile'. Which way is correct?
Old Dec 2, 2012, 08:16 AM   #25
marcelo4527
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrfatboy View Post
I'm confused. According to post #17 the simple mobile sim DOES NOT need to be activated to display 'tmobile'. Which way is correct?
If your sim card is not activated and doesn't have a number assign to it, I don't see how it would show service

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone