Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 24, 2012, 07:37 PM   #1
ecolumbine
macrumors newbie

iPhone 3GS Unlocking Question

Hi
I recently left the UK and needed to unlock my iphone so I could use another SIM card abroad. The guy that did this told me after that I would not be able to update the software on my phone as this would mean my phone wuld not work. I assume he did not unlock it properly and have been told he probably just used some cheap jailbreak software.
Anyway, the problem I have now is that I can't update any apps, and I can't use some apps that are really useful. So, I need to unlock the phone properly.
I don't wan to restore my phone from a back up and then unlock it because I'm worried this won't work.
Does anyone know what I should do? How can I determine what he did to my phone and how to remedy from here?
Thanks
ecolumbine is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 07:46 PM   #2
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Settings, general, about.
Modem firmware:
If its 06.15.00 then he installed the iPad baseband in order to unlock.
In order to update your firmware and keep your unlock you will need to use a bunch of jb tools, modify firmware versions and jump through a bunch of hoops.
It's not a simple process so if you're not comfortable with it I wouldn't attempt it.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 09:14 PM   #3
ecolumbine
macrumors newbie

Hi
Thanks for your reply
Yes, it says 06.15.00.
But I need to update the phone now - it's becoming a problem to use it and there are aps I would like to use. Is there somebody that could fix it for me? Or somewhere online I could visit to show me how to do this?

Thanks
Old Nov 24, 2012, 09:28 PM   #4
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

There's plenty of tutorials online if you want to start researching and learning about the jb scene and jb programs start at www.iclarified.com or if you know someone that's experienced with jb and unlocking iPhones. It can be done in about 15-20 minutes.
Whatever you do don't try to update it to stock firmware with iTunes cause then it will get stuck on a boot loop and won't even start at all.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 12:37 PM   #5
ecolumbine
macrumors newbie

Hi
Thank you again
Just one other question - is there someone that I can pay to send me instructions of how to do this? I think it'll take a long time to look through the tutorials and I really don't want to do the wrong thing
Thanks
Old Nov 25, 2012, 12:39 PM   #6
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecolumbine View Post
Hi
Thank you again
Just one other question - is there someone that I can pay to send me instructions of how to do this? I think it'll take a long time to look through the tutorials and I really don't want to do the wrong thing
Thanks
You don't have to pay anyone if you want to try to do it yourself.
Post a thread in the hacks section and we will all try to assist you and point you to the right resources with tutorials, programs and firmware files.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone