Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 24, 2012, 07:24 PM   #1
TH55
macrumors 68000

Can the front glass not be replaced by itself (without LCD)?

I received the front glass replacement for my 4S I ordered off of eBay. I got online and did some searches for how to replace it only to discover most of the tutorials ended with them holding an LCD screen in their hand. Was I scammed? Should I request a refund and report them to eBay?
TH55 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 07:53 PM   #2
PNutts
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by TH55 View Post
I received the front glass replacement for my 4S I ordered off of eBay. I got online and did some searches for how to replace it only to discover most of the tutorials ended with them holding an LCD screen in their hand. Was I scammed? Should I request a refund and report them to eBay?
I've heard it's possible to replace just the glass/digitizer but it's very difficult and everything I've seen recommends replacing all three as a unit. (I've never done it so someone correct me if I'm wrong). Considering it sounds like you make a mistake and bought exactly what they were selling I don't see why you would request a refund and report them. Or is my assumption incorrect and the item was listed as glass/digitizer/LCD?
PNutts is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 08:01 PM   #3
TH55
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNutts View Post
I've heard it's possible to replace just the glass/digitizer but it's very difficult and everything I've seen recommends replacing all three as a unit. (I've never done it so someone correct me if I'm wrong). Considering it sounds like you make a mistake and bought exactly what they were selling I don't see why you would request a refund and report them. Or is my assumption incorrect and the item was listed as glass/digitizer/LCD?
No it was listed as full replacement package for the front glass. Even if it were just the glass that's still completely dishonest and misleading to sell something that unless you are a professional can't be replaced
Old Nov 24, 2012, 08:13 PM   #4
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Nope.
It's fused together in one piece.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 08:53 PM   #5
anthonyfellows
macrumors newbie

Isn't it only two pieces? Glass and LCD Touch Digitizer? I've replaced several for Iphone 4's, but I've always bought replacements that were fused together. Never bought glass only, but I've seen people selling them like that.
anthonyfellows is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 08:55 PM   #6
brand
macrumors 68040

It sounds like you got exactly what you paid for. Can you post a link to the ebay listing?
brand is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 08:59 PM   #7
rabidz7
Banned

Location: Isla De Juventud, south Havana provence, Cincinnati Ohio
Probably a scam...

Quote:
On the iPhone 4,4s,5 the screen and digitizer/lcd display are fused together. It is impossible to replace only the glass without replacing the digitizer without destroying the digitizer and/or the glass.
rabidz7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 03:13 AM   #8
TH55
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidz7 View Post
On the iPhone 4,4s,5 the screen and digitizer/lcd display are fused together. It is impossible to replace only the glass without replacing the digitizer without destroying the digitizer and/or the glass.
Exactly, so I did get ripped off and that seller was completely dishonest. Thanks for the info, I am requesting a full refund and reporting the issue.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 03:24 AM   #9
chambone
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Exactly, so I did get ripped off and that seller was completely dishonest. Thanks for the info, I am requesting a full refund and reporting the issue.
Maybe it's better to hold your horses with the reporting and ask the seller what can be done nicely. It's your own fault after all.
chambone is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 03:27 AM   #10
brand
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Without you posting a link to the eBay listing it sounds like didn't know exactly what you were buying, assumed one thing and got another. In no way does that mean that you got ripped off or that the seller was dishonest. Things like this happen everyday. If I am wrong please post a link to the eBay listing so I can be corrected.
brand is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 03:44 AM   #11
TH55
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by brand View Post
Without you posting a link to the eBay listing it sounds like didn't know exactly what you were buying, assumed one thing and got another. In no way does that mean that you got ripped off or that the seller was dishonest. Things like this happen everyday. If I am wrong please post a link to the eBay listing so I can be corrected.
None of that is relevant, all that matters here is that the seller is knowingly listing something that is completely unusable and after checking his feedback it appears dozens share my frustration and have said it was dishonest and misleading.

Most average consumers haven't the first clue how an iPhone is put together, and therefore buy it thinking it will work.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 04:31 AM   #12
DanielCoffey
macrumors 65816

Please show the listing before making accusations.
DanielCoffey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 04:37 AM   #13
biohead
macrumors 6502

Some people prefer to buy their screens separately. After all, there are a lot of 3rd party manufacturers out there and the quality between them varies massively.
iPad 2 3G, Black, 16GB
biohead is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 07:52 AM   #14
propalitet
macrumors member

For 4 and 4s it should be possible with a heat gun, but very difficult. You should've researched before you bought it. So nobody scammed you, unless he wrote it's display and digitizer together.
For 5 no idea, they use new displays.
propalitet is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 07:57 AM   #15
PhelpsiPhan
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Most average consumers haven't the first clue how an iPhone is put together, and therefore buy it thinking it will work.

Then maybe "most consumers" shouldn't put an iPhone together... Just a thought...
Old Nov 25, 2012, 08:00 AM   #16
jeep92
macrumors newbie

They didn't scam you. You bought the whole front glass to replace your broken iPhone. You should of bought the front glass with the lcd and digitizer. It's an easy mistake and they shouldn't even sell just the glass.
jeep92 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:58 AM   #17
TH55
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep92 View Post
They didn't scam you. You bought the whole front glass to replace your broken iPhone. You should of bought the front glass with the lcd and digitizer. It's an easy mistake and they shouldn't even sell just the glass.
We're just playing semantics here. If someone is selling something that leads others to believe it can be used when it can't, it's a scam.

Why else are dozens of people complaining?
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:30 AM   #18
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
None of that is relevant, all that matters here is that the seller is knowingly listing something that is completely unusable and after checking his feedback it appears dozens share my frustration and have said it was dishonest and misleading.

Dont you think you have a little responsibility in this too?
Its not the sellers job to teach you how to replace screens or what is easy and what's not.
Its not impossible to do just very very hard.
He's just selling a part and you bought it with zero knowleadge and now ask questions after and blame the seller.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 11:18 AM   #19
sulpfiction
macrumors 68020

Quote:
I understand that you're frustrated, but it's ur own fault. U classify urself as an "average consumer" who has no idea how an iPhone is put together. Then u get online and buy a part without a clue about what ur buying. I'd be willing to bet that the listing is correct and ur the one who screwed up. It's not the sellers responsibility to make sure u know what ur doing. As long as u got what was listed on eBay, the seller isn't the bad guy, nor should he be reported.

Post a link to the listing so we can see what it says. That'll solve everything.
sulpfiction is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 11:21 AM   #20
Jordan921
macrumors 68030

Like others have said show us the listing.
Jordan921 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone