Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Sep 28, 2012, 01:10 AM   #51
bwhitta
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Wow, I think I'll take advantage of the unlimited 4G hotspot more often...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4g vs cable.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	364341  
bwhitta is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 01:56 AM   #52
niteriderxp
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Seattle, WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFizzzle View Post
Lol they can still detect it using tether me... AT&T busted me. Never used it on my verizon unlimited, but regardless if AT&T caught me using tether me verizon can too.. Not saying they will, but they certainly can
They are not detecting it via the APN, because it essentially uses the same APN as the phone.
It could be that AT&T is using deep packet inspection and checking for computer User Agents or TCP/IP stack fingerprinting.
Though AT&T has been known to just target people who use a lot of data, regardless whether they were tethering or not.
Historically, Verizon has not gone after people tethering, and now that the FCC is on their case, I doubt they will.

I already pay $45/m for data (old corp plan), there is no way I am going to pay $30 more unless I'm really desperate.
niteriderxp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 08:56 AM   #53
BFizzzle
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Austin TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by niteriderxp View Post
They are not detecting it via the APN, because it essentially uses the same APN as the phone.
It could be that AT&T is using deep packet inspection and checking for computer User Agents or TCP/IP stack fingerprinting.
Though AT&T has been known to just target people who use a lot of data, regardless whether they were tethering or not.
Historically, Verizon has not gone after people tethering, and now that the FCC is on their case, I doubt they will.

I already pay $45/m for data (old corp plan), there is no way I am going to pay $30 more unless I'm really desperate.
i only had used 3gb sooo... Verizon has gone after plenty of people for thetering in the the last year, but yeah they have let up a lot after all this fcc stuff. I went ahead and paid the $30 just to be safe. $30 is not much money at all.


have any of you had problems with your tether stopping??
i connected my ip5 to my ipad3. A few min after my iphone locked it seems the tether stopped :/ am i doing something wrong?
BFizzzle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2012, 10:33 AM   #54
goodcow
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millionaire2K View Post
Just so you know. "Unlimited" for the hotspot means 5gb.
Data Estimate as of 10/01/2012
UNLIMITED MEGABYTE ALLOW
138.098 GB of Unlimited

And I'm not purposely trying to abuse the network, it's just the LTE is faster than my Verizon DSL and FiOS isn't an option here. So why the hell wouldn't I use the LTE network? I'm seriously considering canceling my DSL.
__________________
MacPro (4,1): 2 x 2.26GHz Quad-Core, 12GB RAM, 640GB HD, 3x750GB WD Black (RAID-0), Drobo (4x1TB), DroboPro (8x2TB), BlackMagic Intensity Pro
iPhone 5, Apple TV (3rd gen.), Time Capsule (500GB)
goodcow is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2012, 11:28 AM   #55
bogatyr
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travisimo View Post
No, that is not true for the 4G Hotspot that we are discussing here. Like the phone's data plan itself, this hotspot is truly unlimited. However, those of you who are using the hotspot to replace your home Internet are just going to ruin it for everybody... because Verizon can (and most likely will) do away with the grandfathered unlimited plans altogether. Those of us hoping to keep it by buying phones at full retail for the foreseeable future would appreciate it if you didn't use multiples of GB of data than draws so much attention to Verizon that they have no choice but to end it. This is especially true now that the iPhone is on their LTE network and will definitely be putting some strain on their new network.
OK... so you have unlimited but don't want to use it as such. That's fine, go with a limited plan then. Those of us who enjoy unlimited, and have forever, will continue to do so.

Since the Thunderbolt, I've used anywhere from 2GB to 80GB each month. If they wanted to curb this, they would have removed the ability to add unlimited tethering sometime in the last year - they haven't.

Why would I use another connection when LTE beats out all the other options I have? Why would I limit my unlimited connection while traveling? Why would I PAY EXTRA for unlimited tethering and not use it? Why would I buy a phone outright for unlimited data and not use it? WHY? Should we all just pay Verizon extra and pretend we have limited plans? NO.
bogatyr is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2012, 11:43 AM   #56
bogatyr
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFizzzle View Post
have any of you had problems with your tether stopping??
i connected my ip5 to my ipad3. A few min after my iphone locked it seems the tether stopped :/ am i doing something wrong?
I have not had any issues and I use my rMBP on my phone's internet all day long for work. If this isn't just a one time issue, I would call Verizon or Apple for assistance.
bogatyr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2012, 11:59 AM   #57
DesertSilver
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Portland, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogatyr View Post
OK... so you have unlimited but don't want to use it as such. That's fine, go with a limited plan then. Those of us who enjoy unlimited, and have forever, will continue to do so.

Since the Thunderbolt, I've used anywhere from 2GB to 80GB each month. If they wanted to curb this, they would have removed the ability to add unlimited tethering sometime in the last year - they haven't.

Why would I use another connection when LTE beats out all the other options I have? Why would I limit my unlimited connection while traveling? Why would I PAY EXTRA for unlimited tethering and not use it? Why would I buy a phone outright for unlimited data and not use it? WHY? Should we all just pay Verizon extra and pretend we have limited plans? NO.
This.

I've read several articles recently that state the cost for carriers to run business are going down, especially with LTE, and that consumers are being charged more (either with more dollars, or less services).

Carriers have slowly brainwashed consumers into thinking anything over 2GB on a smartphone is "excess", and we're ruining it for everyone else, which is ridiculous. Come on people! Tech forums contributors should be those that should be fighting for the consumers, not telling others not to use the data they're paying for.
DesertSilver is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2012, 12:07 PM   #58
BFizzzle
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Austin TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodcow View Post
Data Estimate as of 10/01/2012
UNLIMITED MEGABYTE ALLOW
138.098 GB of Unlimited

And I'm not purposely trying to abuse the network, it's just the LTE is faster than my Verizon DSL and FiOS isn't an option here. So why the hell wouldn't I use the LTE network? I'm seriously considering canceling my DSL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogatyr View Post
OK... so you have unlimited but don't want to use it as such. That's fine, go with a limited plan then. Those of us who enjoy unlimited, and have forever, will continue to do so.

Since the Thunderbolt, I've used anywhere from 2GB to 80GB each month. If they wanted to curb this, they would have removed the ability to add unlimited tethering sometime in the last year - they haven't.

Why would I use another connection when LTE beats out all the other options I have? Why would I limit my unlimited connection while traveling? Why would I PAY EXTRA for unlimited tethering and not use it? Why would I buy a phone outright for unlimited data and not use it? WHY? Should we all just pay Verizon extra and pretend we have limited plans? NO.
i was the same way with my ATT unlimited and we all know how that went for unlimited customers... at least i still have my verizon unlimited data plan.


i agree it says unlimited and there shouldn't be any reason we cant use an unlimited amount.. but you cant argue there isnt a risk that verizon will go the same route as ATT.. especially if people are using more data than your average cable internet customer... on a smartphone.

i use my unlimited to the fullest as well (20 gb or so), i just have a 50/10 connection at home, if not id be in the same boat.
BFizzzle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2012, 12:20 PM   #59
JasonR
macrumors 6502a
 
JasonR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhitta View Post
I have a grandfathered unlimited data plan on Verizon, but the only hotspot feature I see in MyVerizon is a $20/month 2gb plan. What gives?
I was seeing the same thing....and when I called Verizon they said I can add the hotspot as an option for $30/month, but it was limited to 2 GB. I guess I'll have to call Verizon again...
JasonR is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2012, 12:44 PM   #60
BFizzzle
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Austin TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by apierrec View Post
Is Hotspot included in their very expensive & limited new shared data plan without my iPad being added to that plan (it can't be since it is wi-fi only)?
yeah i think its included.
BFizzzle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2012, 12:51 PM   #61
xMacMusox
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Kansas City
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhitta View Post
Positive. I opened a new line in order to keep unlimited data.
And purchased iphone 5 at discounted rate correct?
xMacMusox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2012, 01:33 PM   #62
DDustiNN
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Does this have to be through a phone? Or can you get 4G mi-fi unlimited for $30/month?
DDustiNN is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2012, 02:14 PM   #63
JasonR
macrumors 6502a
 
JasonR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonR View Post
I was seeing the same thing....and when I called Verizon they said I can add the hotspot as an option for $30/month, but it was limited to 2 GB. I guess I'll have to call Verizon again...
Alright, was able to add personal hot spot with unlimited after I called Verizon.

I'm seeing my iPhone become pretty slow when using a lot of bandwidth. Anyone else have this issue?

Edit: Nevermind, everything is working great. 30mbs download speed. Wow.

Last edited by JasonR; Oct 1, 2012 at 02:35 PM.
JasonR is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2012, 03:37 PM   #64
bogatyr
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDustiNN View Post
Does this have to be through a phone? Or can you get 4G mi-fi unlimited for $30/month?
Has to be on your phone plan. You can however put your phone SIM into a mifi box and use it with unlimited. I used to do this when I had the Thunderbolt and the phone would overheat.
bogatyr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2012, 08:46 PM   #65
cwosigns
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Columbus,OH
Thanks for pointing this out! I killed my iPad data plan and opted for this. Will save me $20/month!
__________________
cwosigns
Columbus, Ohio
I have a ton of Apple *****
cwosigns is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 12:59 PM   #66
ercsliberty
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2011
just wondering if anyone used the iphone 5 nano sim in a verizon jetpack using an nano to micro sim adapter. does it work?
ercsliberty is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 01:09 PM   #67
ROLLTIDE1
In Time-Out
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ercsliberty View Post
just wondering if anyone used the iphone 5 nano sim in a verizon jetpack using an nano to micro sim adapter. does it work?
Works very well
ROLLTIDE1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 01:43 PM   #68
ercsliberty
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLLTIDE1 View Post
Works very well
good to know, which jetpack model are you using? thanks
ercsliberty is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 02:17 PM   #69
Hauntedhallows
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Has anyone got confirmation that this is unlimited from Verizon. I am grandfathered on unlimited with the iPhone 5 but when I called because there is no mention of a data cap and only that you need an unlimited plan they still told me its limited to 2gb.
Hauntedhallows is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 02:33 PM   #70
ml.sail1
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Pittsburgh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hauntedhallows View Post
Has anyone got confirmation that this is unlimited from Verizon. I am grandfathered on unlimited with the iPhone 5 but when I called because there is no mention of a data cap and only that you need an unlimited plan they still told me its limited to 2gb.
Try and have them add feature #76153 (the code for unlimited hotspot).
__________________
Late 2013 15" rMBP..............iPhone 5
Late 2012 27" iMac...............iPad air
ml.sail1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 04:38 PM   #71
ROLLTIDE1
In Time-Out
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ercsliberty View Post
good to know, which jetpack model are you using? Thanks
4620l
ROLLTIDE1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 04:42 PM   #72
ercsliberty
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLLTIDE1 View Post
4620l
any special nano to micro sim adapter, or anyone of them will do?
also, i read that people are complaining about a "dormat" state, where the device goes to sleep after certain time, and you have to reconnect to it.do you get this issue too? thanks for the info
ercsliberty is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 05:33 PM   #73
darster
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ml.sail1 View Post
Try and have them add feature #76153 (the code for unlimited hotspot).
That's why I do all my changes online. It will automatically code it up for you correctly and give you unlimited hotspot data with unlimited plan. Phone rep will likely mess it up.
darster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 08:20 PM   #74
webworks415
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hauntedhallows View Post
Has anyone got confirmation that this is unlimited from Verizon. I am grandfathered on unlimited with the iPhone 5 but when I called because there is no mention of a data cap and only that you need an unlimited plan they still told me its limited to 2gb.
It is definitely unlimited with no caps. They would not allow an Unlimited hot spot plan if that were the case. I don't pay the $30 per full month for it. I enable it in the MyVerizon app on my phone when I need to use the 4G hot spot, and when I'm done I go in and disable it. It's roughly $1 a day per usage. I love it!!

webworks415 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 10:50 PM   #75
Reaper0bot0
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
On a 3G device with grandfathered unlimited data, the only option to add mobile hotspot is $20/month for 2 gigs of data for mobile hotspot. On a 4G device with grandfathered unlimited data, the only option to add mobile hotspot is $30/month for unlimited data for the mobile hotspot.

</thread>
Reaper0bot0 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Verizon Unlimited Data Upgrader Losing Hotspot macguy78 iPhone 25 Jul 25, 2014 02:06 AM
Can I get hotspot feature with my unlimited data plan? fav iPhone 12 Aug 3, 2013 12:51 AM
Verizon unlimited plan hotspot = $30 unlimited 4g hotspot Tortri iPhone 45 Dec 14, 2012 05:47 PM
Hotspot on Grandfathered Unlimited Data Plan? Starfyre iPhone 14 Oct 14, 2012 08:02 PM
With unlimited data, can you use Personal Hotspot i.e. wifi tethering? bollweevil iPhone 16 Sep 21, 2012 05:05 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:47 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC