Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac

Old Nov 24, 2012, 03:26 PM   #1
MagicThief83
macrumors 6502

Installing Windows 8 on Macs without an optical drives?

Anyone know how to go about in installing Windows 8 on a Mac without an optical drive? Are there download only editions of Windows 8 available?

Last edited by MagicThief83; Nov 25, 2012 at 10:53 AM.
MagicThief83 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 04:48 PM   #2
benthewraith
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to benthewraith Send a message via MSN to benthewraith
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicThief83 View Post
Anyone know how to go about in installing Windows 8 on a Mac without an optical drive? Are there download only editions of Windows 8 available?
Yes, you can make a bootable USB or DVD after purchase, but I think you need to do it on a Windows computer.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 04:51 PM   #3
AppleDApp
macrumors 68020

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows/buy
Old Nov 24, 2012, 08:23 PM   #4
MagicThief83
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by benthewraith View Post
Yes, you can make a bootable USB or DVD after purchase, but I think you need to do it on a Windows computer.
After purchasing what? There are no digital editions available. Could I purchase the DVD version of Windows 8 and burn the iso. on a USB stick?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleDApp View Post
Only applicable to users upgrading from a previous version of windows.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 08:46 PM   #5
benthewraith
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to benthewraith Send a message via MSN to benthewraith
Quote:
After purchasing what? There are no digital editions available. Could I purchase the DVD version of Windows 8 and burn the iso. on a USB stick?

----------

I don't know why you would do that. It would be easier to get access to a Windows 7 computer and download the upgrade assistant and have it make a bootable USB.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 10:16 PM   #6
MagicThief83
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by benthewraith View Post
I don't know why you would do that. It would be easier to get access to a Windows 7 computer and download the upgrade assistant and have it make a bootable USB.
Lol it's funny you would say. I actually remembered I had the Windows 8 Release Preview installed in Bootcamp on my MBA. Microsoft will allow you to purchase and upgrade to Windows 8 Pro (for just $39.99 ) from the release preview. I'm downloading Windows 8 right now. Hopefully I can burn the iso to a USB stick, and I should be able to fresh install Windows 8 from there correct?
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:51 AM   #7
MagicThief83
macrumors 6502

Got it!

Update: I created a bootable USB stick using the Windows 8 iso that I downloaded (for only $39.99 ) using the Bootcamp assistant. I also saved the Windows support files as well on the same USB stick. I removed the Windows 8 Release Preview partition using Bootcamp assistant, and was able to install the full edition of Windows 8 PRO. So now that I have the iso, I know for a fact I can do the same on the new iMac once I get my hands on it. Thanks everyone for all your help.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:53 AM   #8
AppleDApp
macrumors 68020

How do you like Windows 8 I haven't really been able to play with it because I have to adjust my screen resolution.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 01:54 AM   #9
MJL
Banned

Quote:
[/COLOR]
Hmmm - I downloaded it and it installed in bootcamp without prompting me for a previous version..... Activated as well... Struck issues with 64 bit Windows 8 and have reverted to Windows 7.
MJL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 06:45 AM   #10
MagicThief83
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJL View Post
Hmmm - I downloaded it and it installed in bootcamp without prompting me for a previous version..... Activated as well... Struck issues with 64 bit Windows 8 and have reverted to Windows 7.
I upgraded to W8 Pro from the release preview version. I wanted to install Bootcamp to play steam games primarily. W8 is plagued with issues and incompatibilities...will be reverting to W7 for Bootcamp with the new iMac. W8 failed to update and install the updates, system couldn't configure the updates, my gamepad is not detected by W8 (worked in W7), was getting error messages with two Steam games that I downloaded and tried to play, and it states the integrated graphics card (Intel HD 4000) couldn't be detected. W8 is a huge mess and I regret the $39.99 that I spent on it. Could've used that money towards a SuperDrive and W7 license for the new iMac. W8 interface is also confusing and disorganized.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleDApp View Post
How do you like Windows 8 I haven't really been able to play with it because I have to adjust my screen resolution.
W8 is ok for a tablet, stay far away if you prefer a true desktop OS. After all the issues I encountered with W8, it reinforced my decision as to why I decided to switch over to OSX. If it weren't for Steam gaming, I would avoid Windows altogether, although W7 is a good and stable OS.
MagicThief83 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 04:33 AM   #11
mac-hacks
macrumors regular

Quote:

Follow this guide

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost...49&postcount=1
mac-hacks is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac