Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

View Poll Results: Is your black iPhone 5 scuffed, chipped or scratched?
Flawless 1,155 46.22%
Flawless because I put a case on it. 198 7.92%
Scuffed out of the box 816 32.65%
Scuffed/scratched shortly after 330 13.21%
Voters: 2499. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 21, 2012, 08:22 PM   #4451
BENJMNS
macrumors 6502

Have you guys no shame? Aren't you embarrassed for caring so much about an inanimate object? Do you not have a life beyond iPhone?

Even if it is pristine, it is a depreciating thing and will not remain pristine given how it is handled during normal use. Even if you were able to keep it so called pristine, it will soon be replaced by the next hot unit. Have you guys seen the 4s lately? It looks like a heavy, little dated piece of a shiny glass brick.

Harvard med school doesn't exam its pool of applicants with such scrutiny. Smh. 7 new boxes? Lol
BENJMNS is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 09:27 PM   #4452
I5acc
macrumors newbie

Hah. 100% right....use it and when it's get ugly... Sure there will be another model cooming so u forget about this one and dreaming at the next iphone
I5acc is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 09:42 PM   #4453
Advil
macrumors 6502a

I'm still holding on to my scuffed phone. Is this issue fixed yet or does it seem like something that we're just going to have to put up with?

I'm talking about the easiness of scuffing, not scuffing out of the box.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 01:46 AM   #4454
BENJMNS
macrumors 6502

My second iPhone 5 is scuffed at the edges just like the first one even after a week's worth of use. It's the inevitable. No one is going to care or notice. It's subtle enough but for the macrumor egregiously obsessive.
BENJMNS is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 12:04 PM   #4455
Sermon
macrumors regular

I finally got mine today - production week 43. Flawless, except for one little scuff just above the power button (see attached image). I guess I'll keep it, as there are no other flaws whatsoever.

What does the crowd say? If it was your phone - would this be a keeper for you?

iPad3 WiFi + 4G, 64 GB, white
Sermon is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 12:17 PM   #4456
John T
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sermon View Post
I finally got mine today - production week 43. Flawless, except for one little scuff just above the power button (see attached image). I guess I'll keep it, as there are no other flaws whatsoever.

Yes! Wait for 12 months time and you'll have a few more Don't join the whingeing crowd
John T is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 12:59 PM   #4457
Sermon
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by John T View Post
Yes! Wait for 12 months time and you'll have a few more Don't join the whingeing crowd
I guess so. Unless the cosmetic condition of the phone worsens considerably within the next two weeks despite careful treatment I have no intention of going into an exchange-spree.

Last edited by Sermon; Nov 22, 2012 at 04:00 PM.
Sermon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 04:50 PM   #4458
chocoyo00
macrumors member

I'm happy to report that after returning two white phones I decided to get a black one even though its more prone to defects, and I scored a flawless phone. Couldn't be happier
chocoyo00 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 05:14 PM   #4459
GustavFH
macrumors newbie

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
Im just going to use one of these
I actually entered this thread because I thought of doing something like this!

Did anyone try it yet?
GustavFH is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 05:46 PM   #4460
Psycho Mantis
macrumors member

Just curious, but what is the general consensus from everyone that has owned the phone for a while? Will the sides eventually wear off and show silver from putting it in and out of your pocket? Or is it not that bad?
Psycho Mantis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 10:47 AM   #4461
Enmanuel
macrumors member

Got mine yesterday, absolutely flawless, no nicks, scratches or scuffs anywhere. I think i'll go naked for now, if i see that it starts scratching way too easily i'll get a case.
Enmanuel is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 12:13 PM   #4462
jetlagged
macrumors regular

for those that have the iphone 5 and came out scuffed out of the box and decided to return it to apple store for an exchange, how did the employees react? were they accommodating and understanding etc...?

i have some scuff out of the box, its superficial and minor, if you go back a page or two you will see the pictures i posted. barely noticeable. i'm going monday when they open to exchange it and just really nervous at the whole process of exchanging it, and most importantly worried that the new one might come out scuffed out of the box again. i'm getting black again. i dont want white.

i dont mind if the phone scuffs after a few weeks because i would have been the one to have caused that, but a phone that comes scuffed out of the box is annoying and i dont want to put up with it.
jetlagged is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 04:56 PM   #4463
spetznatz
macrumors regular

Late to the party, I know, but I actually returned my black iPhone 5 and got the money back. One reason was that he promised 4G coverage was basically non-existent even in the centre of London. I also had problems with loss of signal and having to restart the phone to get 3G working, etc My iPhone 4S never loses signal, and is just fantastically reliable.

The second reason was that the black anodising on the bezel was starting to wear off, and this was only after two weeks of very light use. The second week of use the iPhone remained in my pocket almost the whole time, because I was in Germany and couldn't use it there. I thought, if that's what it looks like after only two weeks of really light use, what's it going to look like in a few months time? And what will It do to the resale value?

I can't believe that Apple's design team would choose to anodise it with a coating that wears off so easily. If they had just left the bezel and the back in plain aluminium, like the white iPhone 5, it would have been fantastic.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 09:53 AM   #4464
cdmoore74
macrumors 68000

Quote:

I would not settle for it. You should not have to deal with Apple's production issues. When I returned my first one the genius had the nerve to blame it on me. You could tell that the machine cutter/router left metal flash behind. My second one was damage free.
cdmoore74 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 10:37 AM   #4465
Sermon
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmoore74 View Post
I would not settle for it. You should not have to deal with Apple's production issues. When I returned my first one the genius had the nerve to blame it on me. You could tell that the machine cutter/router left metal flash behind. My second one was damage free.
Luckily I was aware of the scuffs-out-of-the-box situation, so I filmed the unboxing, just in case they'd blame it on me. I guess I'll give them a call on Monday. Is it possible to return the second one if that turns out to be worse than the original one?
Sermon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 11:56 AM   #4466
jetlagged
macrumors regular

Quote:
Luckily I was aware of the scuffs-out-of-the-box situation, so I filmed the unboxing, just in case they'd blame it on me. I guess I'll give them a call on Monday. Is it possible to return the second one if that turns out to be worse than the original one?
Keep us updated on how it goes for you. I'll be exchanging mine or returning it outright monday morning at 9 am. can't wait for that day to come. Will apple exchange me a brand new sealed phone or will get me a white box phone? how does that work. i will be going to my local apple store.

i'm pretty sure they'll be mad at me and will be saying the worst most rudest despicable words you can think of in their head towards me LOL.
But come on man, like i said I dont mind if I was the one that scuffs it, but for it to come scuffed out of the box really gets to me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo1.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	379411   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo2.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	584.7 KB
ID:	379412   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo3.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	291.7 KB
ID:	379413  

jetlagged is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 09:23 PM   #4467
speekez
macrumors 6502

Got me 2 white phones instead of the black, actually really digging them for a change over my usual black phone.
speekez is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 09:54 PM   #4468
Bako-MacAddict
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocoyo00 View Post
I'm happy to report that after returning two white phones I decided to get a black one even though its more prone to defects, and I scored a flawless phone. Couldn't be happier
Funny how you said because I did the same thing ! The black was calling my name

White & Silver iPhone 6 Plus 128GB | MacBook Pro 15" Late 2011
AT&T
Bako-MacAddict is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 05:21 AM   #4469
kalel84
macrumors newbie

Hello.

Are the scuffs still a problem?

Im asking because Im planning to buy a black 32gb unlocked model directly from the website but Im afraid ill pay 800 dollars for a scratched phone and since I live outside the US, i dont have the luxury of returning it.

If thats the case Ill buy the nexus 4 or lumia 920.
kalel84 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 05:31 AM   #4470
VinegarTasters
macrumors 6502

Unfortunately, what is coming off is the paint. Not a lot of people know that after anodizing, they apply another layer of paint. However, note that Apple does not use hard anodizing (type III), but uses type II, which is why you get nicks and dings that will go through the paint and even through the anodization. So there are two things happening here. One is paint. The other is the anodization layer. Unfortunately, the anodization layer will probably come off anyways because it is such a weak type. I think sweat will interfere with it also. I don't know whether they can slow down and use type III (takes longer) anodization and use another type of paint. But the current type of paint doesn't seem to stick well to the anodized aluminum. Even if it did the type II is so weak your worry is the anodized layer, not the paint.

Perhaps they can go 6061-T6 Tempered Aluminum, which is harder and stronger, and can withstand the nicks and dings even if the outer layer is not anodized. Currently it is too soft. A small poke will put a dent into the soft 6061 non-tempered aluminum, taking with it the paint and the anodized layer.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:25 AM   #4471
jetlagged
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalel84 View Post
Hello.

Are the scuffs still a problem?

Im asking because Im planning to buy a black 32gb unlocked model directly from the website but Im afraid ill pay 800 dollars for a scratched phone and since I live outside the US, i dont have the luxury of returning it.

If thats the case Ill buy the nexus 4 or lumia 920.
oh its real problem alrite, and it hasnt been resolved yet. though there are some improvements, expect a potential to get a scuffed iphone. see the picture i posted.
jetlagged is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 11:03 AM   #4472
Wokis
macrumors regular

Prod week 45 iPhone. Got it 6 days ago. Just had it in pockets and on tables and stuff but so far not a ding nor scratch.
Wokis is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 12:20 PM   #4473
utahusker
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wokis View Post
Prod week 45 iPhone. Got it 6 days ago. Just had it in pockets and on tables and stuff but so far not a ding nor scratch.
Same results as my week 45 phone. It was and is flawless from out of the box. Although I haven't used it heavily yet, but if it scratches I don't really care that much.
utahusker is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 12:27 PM   #4474
kalel84
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlagged View Post
oh its real problem alrite, and it hasnt been resolved yet. though there are some improvements, expect a potential to get a scuffed iphone. see the picture i posted.
Oh well, looks like its the 920 for me.
kalel84 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 12:28 PM   #4475
Macdude2010
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wokis View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by utahusker View Post
Same results as my week 45 phone. It was and is flawless from out of the box. Although I haven't used it heavily yet, but if it scratches I don't really care that much.
How many GB?

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone