Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Nov 24, 2012, 05:06 PM   #1
mikora7
macrumors member

New iMac or a mini?

Last month a storm fried my dear old iMac. While the power source might be replaceable and fix the problem, since we don't know, we are looking at our options. It was suggested to me that we consider getting a Mac mini and attach a monitor and external SuperDrive as well as our backup hard drive. We would probably have to buy a new monitor as well as the drive so dollar wise I am thinking it will run close to the same cost either way. Would this be as good a solution as waiting on the new iMac?
Old Nov 24, 2012, 07:10 PM   #2
rnb2
macrumors regular

I just did the math on this myself, and unless you go really cheap on the monitor, you're better off waiting for at least the new 21.5" iMac.
rnb2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 07:39 PM   #3
mapleleafer
macrumors regular

Although the minis seem to have an issue. Check out the mini forum. You may also want to invest in a UPS if your area is prone to storms.
mapleleafer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 08:22 PM   #4
wessew
macrumors member

Mac Mini graphics chip is weak.
wessew is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 08:33 PM   #5
brand
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by wessew View Post
Mac Mini graphics chip is weak.
Technically GPU on the 2012 Mini is integrated in the CPU so it doesn't have a chip.
brand is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 09:14 PM   #6
mchoffa
macrumors 6502

I was very strongly considering a mini since the iMacs were taking so long. So strongly in fact, that I placed my order, only to cancel it the next morning before the order was actually processed. Here's why:

For a 2.6 i7 mini with fusion it came to 1149 before tax. Even with a refurb thunderbolt display at $829 that's $1978 (Yes, I realize there are cheaper monitor options like the Dell for $700 and some korean models even cheaper, but they aren't TB quality and you can't daisy chain two dells at full resolution).

A 27" iMac SHOULD come up to $1999 + $250 (fusion) + $100 (i7, and that's a 3.4 vs 2.6 in the mini). So, for only ~$375 more, you get a much faster i7 and a MUCH, MUCH better GPU. Not only that, but that's an improved laminated display with 75% less glare which will probably make even the TB displays look old.
mchoffa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 02:11 AM   #7
iSayuSay
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchoffa View Post
I was very strongly considering a mini since the iMacs were taking so long. So strongly in fact, that I placed my order, only to cancel it the next morning before the order was actually processed. Here's why:

For a 2.6 i7 mini with fusion it came to 1149 before tax. Even with a refurb thunderbolt display at $829 that's $1978 (Yes, I realize there are cheaper monitor options like the Dell for $700 and some korean models even cheaper, but they aren't TB quality and you can't daisy chain two dells at full resolution).

A 27" iMac SHOULD come up to $1999 + $250 (fusion) + $100 (i7, and that's a 3.4 vs 2.6 in the mini). So, for only ~$375 more, you get a much faster i7 and a MUCH, MUCH better GPU. Not only that, but that's an improved laminated display with 75% less glare which will probably make even the TB displays look old.
Mac Mini has never been competing with iMac. It'll always be very expensive and unwiseto get a Mini and Thunderbolt Display if you want to get a real machine to work with.

The only viable reason to get a Mini in my book is whether you're buying it for HTPC hooked to giant plasma or projector, or simply secondary computer hooked to a generic cheap display.

Anything more would be unwise and iMac will always be a much better deal as a whole.
iSayuSay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 02:28 AM   #8
Yebubbleman
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikora7 View Post
Last month a storm fried my dear old iMac. While the power source might be replaceable and fix the problem, since we don't know, we are looking at our options. It was suggested to me that we consider getting a Mac mini and attach a monitor and external SuperDrive as well as our backup hard drive. We would probably have to buy a new monitor as well as the drive so dollar wise I am thinking it will run close to the same cost either way. Would this be as good a solution as waiting on the new iMac?
It depends on what you want to do with it. If you do gaming or video editing, go with the 21.5" iMac. If a 21.5" iMac is insufficient, get a 27" iMac. Otherwise get a Mac mini. Look into what's wrong with your current machine first though. And definitely get a surge protector; they're cheap compared to the cost of a new Mac.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSayuSay View Post
Mac Mini has never been competing with iMac. It'll always be very expensive and unwiseto get a Mini and Thunderbolt Display if you want to get a real machine to work with.

The only viable reason to get a Mini in my book is whether you're buying it for HTPC hooked to giant plasma or projector, or simply secondary computer hooked to a generic cheap display.

Anything more would be unwise and iMac will always be a much better deal as a whole.
Yes, but historically, Mac minis are substantially more reliable.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Tags
imac, mac mini 2012