Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 24, 2012, 08:21 PM   #1
speekez
macrumors 6502

Are pixels more visible on Iphone5?

Hi there,

Just picked up 2 Iphone5's white. Love the phone. The colors are richer and there's more contrast on the 5.... nice. I have an honest question though -- not pixel-peeping here, but when and I view the phone from a normal distance, my eyes faintly and almost intermittently register the pixels on the 5. This wasn't the case with my Iphone4. In fact, I have them side by side and can see this. I do photo retouch for a living, so not sure if I'm just more keyed in on very fine detail, but has anyone else mentioned this? Would the taller screen somehow be contributing to this? If I never had a iphone4, I probably wouldn't have noticed.

Again, love the phone, just curious if others ever saw this.
speekez is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 08:44 PM   #2
lunaoso
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by speekez View Post
Hi there,

Just picked up 2 Iphone5's white. Love the phone. The colors are richer and there's more contrast on the 5.... nice. I have an honest question though -- not pixel-peeping here, but when and I view the phone from a normal distance, my eyes faintly and almost intermittently register the pixels on the 5. This wasn't the case with my Iphone4. In fact, I have them side by side and can see this. I do photo retouch for a living, so not sure if I'm just more keyed in on very fine detail, but has anyone else mentioned this? Would the taller screen somehow be contributing to this? If I never had a iphone4, I probably wouldn't have noticed.

Again, love the phone, just curious if others ever saw this.
You shouldn't because the ppi is the same between the 4/4S and the 5. The only difference between the displays is the in-cell technology, which gives better contrasts. And then the longer screen of course, but that wouldn't affect anything because the resolution went up at the same rate, which is why the ppi is the same.
lunaoso is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 08:44 PM   #3
mactmaster
macrumors 6502

read here http://prometheus.med.utah.edu/~bwjo...one-4-display/
mactmaster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 09:11 PM   #4
w00t951
macrumors 68000

It's possible, even though the displays are technically identical in terms of PPI. The display of the iPhone 5 is much closer to the display glass than in previous iterations of the iPhone, resulting in a more clear view of the display from extreme angles. Angles that blurred pixels on the iPhone 4/4S could result in clear pixels on the iPhone 5.

Whoops. I misread the original post. I think. It's late.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 09:14 PM   #5
Beeplance
macrumors 65816

I wouldn't have thought that that is actually possible. Don't think Apple would make the screen of the 5 to be inferior to its predecessors.

Maybe this kind of thing differs for everyone, I guess?
Beeplance is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 10:21 PM   #6
speekez
macrumors 6502

Thanks for the replies.

Actually, I'm wondering if what I am seeing is related to this:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...ghlight=pixels

Interlacing. I'm testing now...
Old Nov 26, 2012, 02:45 AM   #7
speekez
macrumors 6502

I went to a different store, had both phones swap, and new phones do not exhibit the problem.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 03:37 AM   #8
kannesss
Banned

mine look perfecto
kannesss is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 06:46 AM   #9
katmeef
macrumors 6502

I have given up on swapping phones to get one that doesn't have the interlacing issue. I am wondering if they use a sub par screen manufacturer for the batch of white box replacement phones available near the launch date. If only I kept the phone that came dented out of the box, it had a perfect screen.

This may be the last iPhone I buy for this reason.
katmeef is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 07:10 AM   #10
boobie12
macrumors 6502

i was wondering why my screen looked ugly compared to my fathers iphone. guess i have to switch it out.
boobie12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone