Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I know I use it a fair bit on the iphone but do you use it as much on the ipad?

Anti-Lucifer

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
The problem with Siri is the time it takes to hold down the home button, then wait for the "beep beep" then speak into it, wait more for a response, then wait again for a full answer back.

What will make alot of people including myself happy is if we can use siri to turn on settings; like say turn on bluetooth, or turn off wifi, or turn off lte.

Basically siri is just nothing more than a voice information lookup/dictation. Sure you can tell it to text people for you, write emails and those are cool....just siri is too slow.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
The problem with Siri is the time it takes to hold down the home button, then wait for the "beep beep" then speak into it, wait more for a response, then wait again for a full answer back.

What will make alot of people including myself happy is if we can use siri to turn on settings; like say turn on bluetooth, or turn off wifi, or turn off lte.

Basically siri is just nothing more than a voice information lookup/dictation. Sure you can tell it to text people for you, write emails and those are cool....just siri is too slow.

Yeah the do not disturb through siri would be great for example.

iHawaii

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2012
BEEP! BEEP!

"Siri, close all apps running in the background".

BEEP! BEEP!

"Okay, all background apps are have been closed".

A reasonable request for the Siri Dev Team.

Ipadlover29

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2011
BEEP! BEEP!

BEEP! BEEP!

That would be nice. We don't even have a way to close all apps right now unless jailbroken. That's what I miss the most about being on 5.1.1.

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2011
I don't use it much, and haven't really explored what it can really do for me. A lot of my iPad usage is in a shared office, so then I can't really sit and chat to my iPad...

rahul247rocks

macrumors member
May 18, 2012
LOL.. I just saw your post and remembered that Siri actually exists on my iPad. It's useless if you don't stay in USA cause the table booking, Movie Tickets do not work.

scottw324

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2012
I use it every once in a while to set a reminder, alarm, appointment, etc... but that is about it right now.

I use it on my phone mostly to send text to my wife while driving but it doesn't get what I say accurate most of the time so it is frustrating to use.

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
I thought I would love Siri on the iPad but after testing it I really don't have much use for it. I find that I can usually find things faster myself. I would likely use it more on an iPhone, which I don't have.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011

Excellent idea! Would love to tell Siri to adjust settings. For example, I'm with Sprint (I know) and as recently their 3G signal has been horrible and sometimes kills the battery, I find myself constantly going back and forth to settings to turn 3G on and Off.

EMAN19

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
New York, NY

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 76

ssspinball

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2008
BEEP! BEEP!

BEEP! BEEP!

This doesn't strike me as reasonable since the dev team would already be aware that closing your background apps doesn't do anything that iOS doesn't do already on it's own.

Seriously, it's hard to believe people still believe closing background apps on iOS is something you're expected to do.

garbeth

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2010
Brisvegas
This doesn't strike me as reasonable since the dev team would already be aware that closing your background apps doesn't do anything that iOS doesn't do already on it's own.

Seriously, it's hard to believe people still believe closing background apps on iOS is something you're expected to do.

From my experience it can certainly help speed things up.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
I use it every once in a while to set a reminder, alarm, appointment, etc... but that is about it right now.

I use it on my phone mostly to send text to my wife while driving but it doesn't get what I say accurate most of the time so it is frustrating to use.

This.

I mostly use Siri to set timers when I'm doing laundry.

Siri's speech to text has mangled almost every text I've tried to send with it.

----------

Siri works on iPad with the new iOS 6?

All except iPad 1 and iPad 2. iPad 3/4 and mini have Siri.

FourCandles

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2009
England
Got it when the iOS 6 update came to the iPad 3.

Tried it out to see how well it worked. Thought for a few minutes how my 12-year-old, science-fiction-reading self would have marvelled at it.

Not used it since.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
Got it when the iOS 6 update came to the iPad 3.

Tried it out to see how well it worked. Thought for a few minutes how my 12-year-old, science-fiction-reading self would have marvelled at it.

Not used it since.

Quite honestly, Siri doesn't do much, yet. Like other people have said, it needs to be able to control settings and such.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.